Presentation on theme: "Entry Years Enhancement EYE Mentor Seminar October 10, 2013."— Presentation transcript:
Entry Years Enhancement EYE Mentor Seminar October 10, 2013
Stand up if… You’ve been parachuting or bungee jumping You have a child who’s under age 12 You work directly with new teachers You enjoy spending time with a grandchild You use mentoring journals You’ve been swimming in 3 or more different oceans You’ve coached or been coached using a collaborative coaching style You’ve ever fallen out of a tree You’ve begun implementing the Utah Effective Teaching Standards You know how to fly an airplane You’ve been involved in the STAR Mentoring program for more than 3 years You’ve ever owned a snake You’ve served in the armed forces You’ve taught another language You cannot click your fingers on your non-dominant hand You’ve mentored more than 2 new teachers at a time You know a good joke
The Urgency for Effective Teachers 20 times more likely than any other variable In Texas, the increase in student test scores can be traced to a teacher’s effectiveness and it is 20 times more likely to improve student achievement than any other variable difference between the performance of a student 10 percentile points on a standardized math test In Los Angeles schools, the difference between the performance of a student assigned to a top-quartile teacher rather than a bottom-quartile teacher averaged 10 percentile points on a standardized math test; and 14 times the impact on student achievement as decreasing the class size by five students In North Carolina, a strong teacher in a classroom has 14 times the impact on student achievement as decreasing the class size by five students. Source: Partnership for Learning (2010), The Impact of Effective Teachers and Principals
Importance of the Intangible 3% of the differences in student achievement that are attributable to their teachers’ influence: Years of Experience Education Level Performance on Vocabulary Tests The remaining 97% is from intangible aspects of teacher quality such as: Enthusiasm Skill in Conveying Knowledge Source: Goldhaber, Dan. (2002). The Mystery of Good Teaching
Diminishing Forces 30 - 50% leave the profession within the first three years of teaching. Source: Darling-Hammond, Linda. (2000). Teacher Quality and Student Achievement
Improving Student Earnings and Quality of Life (cont.) It doesn’t stop with test scores. The study findings indicate students of better teachers “are more likely to attend college, earn higher salaries, live in better neighborhoods, and save more for retirement. They are also less likely to have children as teenagers.”
Conservative estimates of the cost of replacing a new teacher is 50% of a new teacher’s salary. Some researchers have cited figures Of up to 150% of a new teacher’s salary. Source: Villar, Anthony and Strong Michael. (2007). Is Mentoring Worth the Money? A Benefit Cost Analysis and Five-Year Rate of Return of a Comprehensive Mentoring Program for Beginning Teachers. Regents of the University of California. Cost of Teacher Attrition
The Irreplaceables (3 – 2 – 1) WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS FOR MENTORS AND INDUCTION? Individually read the article/take notes (10 min.) What are 3 things you learned? What are 2 things you found interesting? What is 1 question you still have? In pairs (10 min.) Share your thoughts with each other Take notes to share with the group Group Reflection (10 min.) **This report and its related documents do not represent the opinions or beliefs of the Utah State Office of Education or Salt Lake School Distruict as an agency.
Why Good Teachers Leave Isolating and non-supportive teaching environments Poor working conditions Overwhelming teaching assignments Source: Washington, D. C. Alliance for Excellent Education (2005) Teacher Attrition: A Costly Loss to the Nation and to the States (Issue Brief)
Effects of Induction and Mentoring on Beginning Teacher Turnover
Shift from Mentor Standards to Competencies Reframing mentor expectations and support.
Table Buzz What do you think of when you hear the word, “standard?” What do standards mean when it comes to education? What are standards used for, and by whom? Traditionally, standards are about: Reflection Measurement Evaluation
Table Buzz What do you think of when you hear the word, “competencies?” What do “competencies” mean compared to “standards”? Competencies are about: Building capacity Defining roles Self-reflection Self-refinement
Thinking Outside the Box about the Competencies Design a graphic to represent your assigned competency Choose the ONE statement (indicated by the small, blue arrow) that, in your opinion, has the highest leverage (write underneath graphic) List 3 ways a mentor can exemplify their chosen statement (underneath statement already written on the poster)
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.