Three Friendships We Need There are three kinds of friendships everyone here wants and needs
1. Find A Jonathan “Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself” (Samuel 18:1, NIV).
1. Find A Jonathan A friend who is willing to sacrifice A friend who will be loyal A friend who is not afraid to show affection for us
One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother, Proverbs 18:24 (NIV).
2. Recognize A Nathan Has the authority to speak truth; Has the authority to speak bluntly; Has the authority to advise and correct.
2. Recognize A Nathan A Nathan is an accountability partner; As Nathan was to David, Jethro was to Moses, and Barnabas was to Paul.
2. Recognize A Nathan A Nathan is somebody who loves you but is – not impressed by you; – not fooled by you; – someone you can trust; – someone who will love you no matter what; – someone with whom you can be vulnerable; – someone to whom you can be accountable.
3. Invest In A “Solomon” You need a Solomon; A Solomon is someone to whom you can pass on wisdom, skills, and instruction; A Solomon is usually a younger man or woman whom you can mentor and influence, someone to whom you can pass on a legacy.
“Don’t be surprised if it takes more than one or two experiences before you find that person, because there has to be a personal resonance. There’s a chemistry that grows in a good mentoring relationship” (Howard Hendricks, Men of Integrity )
The Most Important Friendship Friendship with God through Jesus Christ; Jesus is the ultimate “friend who sticks closer than a brother”; There is no better friend and no one who has come farther or done more to be a friend to you than Jesus;
The Most Important Friendship Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross makes it possible for you to be delivered from sin, death, and from hell; His loyalty literally sent Him to hell and back for you; His love for you is both infinite and eternal.