21) What invention did Egypt make 1) What invention did Egypt make? A 365 – day calendar 2) Mesopotamia has what types of floods? Unpredictable and threatening
33) According to the Hebrew Bible, whom did Samuel anoint as the first king of Israel? Saul 4) Who was the commander of the enemy’s forces? Sisera
45) Who will lead the Israelites into battle 5) Who will lead the Israelites into battle? Barak 6) What was one of Deborah’s duties? Settling disputes
57) How were the pyramids of the Kushites different from those of the Egyptians? They built smaller pyramids that were more steeply sloped.
68) Who translated the Hebrew Bible into Greek, spreading Jewish ideas 8) Who translated the Hebrew Bible into Greek, spreading Jewish ideas? Jews of the Diaspora 9) The Nile River – the longest river in the world – is 4,000 miles long.
710) The chief god of the Egyptians was Re 10) The chief god of the Egyptians was Re. 11) Christians called the Hebrew Bible the Old Testament.
812) Who fought the Romans for freedom and drove them out of Jerusalem in A.D. 66 for a short period of time? Zealots
913) Who defeated the Chaldeans and conquered Babylon 13) Who defeated the Chaldeans and conquered Babylon? Persians 14) The scrolls of the Torah are kept in a cabinet called the Ark of the Law.
1015) Amenhotep felt threatened by the priests’ control or authority 15) Amenhotep felt threatened by the priests’ control or authority. 16) Who was a model of dedication to family for Jewish girls to imitate? Ruth
1117) Who is believed to have written many of the Psalms 17) Who is believed to have written many of the Psalms? David 18) One of the reasons the Kushites moved their capital to Meroe was to be closer to iron ore deposits.
1219) The wise saying of Solemn were written down and are called proverbs. 20) Egyptians traded with the present-day countries of Lebanon for wood.
1321) Isis – ruled the underworld with her husband Osiris 22) Pyramid – entrance always faced north
1423) Pharaoh – believed to be the son for Re, the sun god 24) Nile – world’s longest river25) Hapi – goddess who ruled the Nile River
1526) The Israelites believed that humans planed, but the Lord directed their steps. This means that God controls humans’ actions.
1627) The Hebrew Bible states that Daniel’s faith in God protected him from the lions. 28) The worship of more than one God is called polytheism.
1729) The word pharaoh originally meant “great house” 29) The word pharaoh originally meant “great house”. 30) The capital of Kush, located on a trade route was Napata.
1831) What did the appearance of Sirius in the east after a long absence tell the ancient Egyptians? The Nile would soon rise.
1932) What was the ancient Egyptian name for Orion 32) What was the ancient Egyptian name for Orion? Sah or Sahu 33) Most Egyptians prayed at home, so temples were used only for special occasions.
2034) Who lived isolated in the desert, praying for God to deliver them from the Romans? Essenes 35) Oral law is composed, or made up out of, legal interpretations passed down over time by word of mouth.
2136) Who founded a school that became a center for Torah studies 36) Who founded a school that became a center for Torah studies? Yohanan ben Zaccai 37) Talmud – teachings about the Torah and record of Jewish law
2238) Dead Sea Scrolls – probably written by the Essenes 39) Covenant – an agreement with God
2340) Exodus – departure of the Isrealites out of slavery in Egypt 41) Rabbis – religious Jewish leaders
2442) Tabernacle – tent like structure where the Israelite tribes worshipped God 43) Zealots – wanted to fight for their freedom against the Romans
2544) Kosher – food prepared according to Jewish dietary laws 45) Exile – being forced to leave one’s homeland
2646) Solomon - king who built the temple in Jerusalem 47) In 750 B.C. which Kushite king invaded Egypt? Kashta