Presentation on theme: "'Going Deeper into the Disciplines for Ordinary Disciples' A life of Discipline: Control of the Flesh 'Fasting’"— Presentation transcript:
'Going Deeper into the Disciplines for Ordinary Disciples' A life of Discipline: Control of the Flesh 'Fasting’
1. What is Biblical fasting? Biblical Fasting is the voluntary denial of food for spiritual purposes Types of Fasts 1.Normal Fast – food only “…after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry” Matthew 4:2 2. Absolute Fast – no food and water “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day.” (Esther 4:16)
1. What is Biblical fasting? Types of Fasts continued 2. Absolute Fast – no food and water “…for three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything” (Acts 9:9) “While he (Ezra) was there, he ate no food and drank no water, because he continued to mourn over the unfaithfulness of the exiles. (Ezra 10:6)
1. What is Biblical fasting? Types of Fasts continued 2. Absolute Fast – (Supernatural Fasts) “I went up the mountain to receive the stone tablets on which was written the covenant that the Lord had made with you. I stayed there forty days and nights and did not eat or drink anything.” (Deuteronomy 9:9) So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God. (1Kings 19:8)
1. What is Biblical fasting? Types of Fasts continued 3.Partial Fast – certain foods/liquids “I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.” (Daniel 10:3)
1. What is Biblical fasting? Abstinence “Then the king returned to his palace and spent the night without eating and without any entertainment being brought to him. And he could not sleep.” Daniel 6:18 “Abstaining from sex is permissible for a period of time if you both agree to it, and if it's for the purposes of prayer and fasting — but only for such times. Then come back together again.” 1Corinthians 7:5 (MSG)
1. What is Biblical fasting? Biblical Fasting is the voluntary denial of food for spiritual purposes “Some have exalted religious fasting beyond all Scripture and reason; and others have utterly disregard it” John Wesley Richard Foster, “Celebration of discipline” – nothing on fasting between 1861-1954
2. Freedom in the private dimension of fasting Matthew 6:16-18 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
2. Freedom in the private dimension of fasting The discipline of fasting brings joy and freedom Benefits of fasting: Sacrificial commitment Humbling act Leaves no room for boasting (Luke 18:12) Produces gratefulness Reminder to pray and intercede Wait on God
2. Freedom in the private dimension of fasting Benefits of fasting continued: The greater things of God To act in the Name of Jesus Joy and Freedom Effective intercessory prayer Guidance Decision making becomes sharper Increased concentration Deliverance
2. Freedom in the private dimension of fasting Benefits of fasting continued: Physical well being Revelations
3. Freedom in the public dimension of fasting Matthew 9:14, Then John’s disciples came and asked him, “How is it that we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.
3. Freedom in the public dimension of fasting The discipline of fasting brings joy and freedom Reflect: –Do you desire a deeper life with God? –Want greater internal freedom? –Are you going through a crisis? –Do you need to repent of lifestyle choices? –Do you grieve over this nation of Australia and that people are going to a lost eternity?
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.