Presentation on theme: "9. Experiencing God through Obedience Psalm 1 (p 499) ; Luke 17:7-10 (p 966)"— Presentation transcript:
9. Experiencing God through Obedience Psalm 1 (p 499) ; Luke 17:7-10 (p 966)
Obedience... Think about the concept and how we respond to it. My gut responses are a factor of my view of life and God. The issues that govern our gut responses: Our ASSUMPTIONS about Life What is the GOOD LIFE? What do I have to DO?
1. Our ASSUMPTIONS about Life Lady Gaga song – “Born this way” You are who/what you are because you were born that way Promotes “biological determinism” Not Christian – We’re made in the image of God; Have the capacity to make choices We affirm the transforming power of God. Our assumptions about life and reality influence our gut response We unwittingly take on the false assumptions of our society and culture
2. What is the GOOD LIFE? What is the life we aspire to, that we dream about? The good life is solid, like a tree – productive, bearing fruit, propers. A life of meaning, value, contributing. Psalm 1. The righteous live the good life. A little experiment.
3. What do I have to DO? Disentangle my life Present current obligations to God and be willing to adjust them Doing the things he has already commanded.
2. What Must I DO? (Romans 12:9-18) Love must be sincere Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not think you are superior. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
3. What do I have to DO?... More a way of life than a list of activities We can all live lives like this Start living like Romans 12 in the power of the Spirit Observe a Sabbath rest every week De-clutter our lives
Making it happen... Can’t go about our lives and expect God to cut in. 1. Be attentive to God and ready to respond. 2. De-clutter our lives. 3. Start praying and adjusting our lives to God. 4. Doing what He has already told us to do. 5. Get ready for specific God-sized assignments.
John 14:23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.