Presentation on theme: "Unit3 under the sea Warming up and reading. Later, we’ll come across a great variety of marine animals. Now, we are on a snorkelling trip under the sea."— Presentation transcript:
We are safe now. And I catch a sea star near the shore
If you like, you can go to see more about the ocean life at an aquarium, on a boat trip, or, in books, on the Internet, in the Ocean Park, on TV etc.
Guess what is the name of the animals? Killer Whale ! Pre-Reading:
What do you know about killer whales? Introduction: Males can reach lengths up to 27 feet and can weigh up to 12,000 lb. You can tell an adult male from an adult female by the shape of their dorsal fin (male’s longer, up to 6 feet tall). killer whales are found in all oceans of the world. As a group, killer whales are known to eat fish, squid, seals, sea lions, penguins, even other whales. Thus, they are called “Killer Whales”
What about baleen whales? Baleen whales are whales that have no teeth. They take in huge mouthfuls of water and filter( 过滤 ) it, trapping small fish and invertebrates( 无脊椎动物 ). There are several species of baleen whale such as the blue whale, the humpback whale( 座头鲸 ) and the right whale( 脊美鲸 ).
Killer whales are attacking a baleen whale with whalers waiting by in their boat,harpoon at the ready. What is happening in the picture ? baleen whale Read the introduction of the passage on page 19 and then fill in the chart below.
baleen whale killerblow-hole whalers ______ whale _______whales catch/kill a___ The whaler hunting at the beginning of 20th century. ssistant Killer whales help whalers catch (baleen )whales.
Clancy A whaler Anecdotes At the beginning of the 20 th century Australia Whalers, killer whales and baleen whales baleen whales The killer whale helped the whalers to kill a baleen whale Writer Career Writing style Time Place Main character Main idea Background Information
Old Tom the Killer Whale Old Tom is a Killer Whale Reading
2. The first story is mainly about ____. A. a hunting experience of Old Tom B. how Old Tom helped with whale hunting C. how the whalers killed a whale D. how killer whales killed a whale 3. The second story is mainly about_______. A. Fierce killers, like Old Tom, could protect people. B. James was washed off the boat. C. It was hard to handle the boat in rough sea. D. Old Tom rescued James from other killers. Listening Reading Comprehension I 1.Who is Old Tom? the killer whale.
When did Clancy believe that killer whales could help them? When did Clancy believe that killer whales could help them? After he witnessed it with his own eyes. After he witnessed it with his own eyes. We can witness (v.) _______. A. a change in her A. a change in her B. the car accident B. the car accident C. an English textbook C. an English textbook be present and see Clancy witnessed killer whales’ helping them. Clancy witnessed killer whales’ helping them. Read para1
Whalers’ reaction ( 反应 ) One whaler __________. George _____ ___ _____ him. Clancy ______ after him. They _______ ______ the boat and _________ ____into the bay. One whaler __________. George _____ ___ _____ him. Clancy ______ after him. They _______ ______ the boat and _________ ____into the bay. jumped into headed out raced yelled out ran ahead of throw itself out of … and crash down again swim by the boat/ lead …to the hunt Read from Para 2 to Para 6: Before the hunt What Old Tom does:
Read from Para 7 to the end of story 1 and answer the questions. Read from Para 7 to the end of story 1 and answer the questions. Para 7 the end of story 1 Para 7 the end of story 1 What killer whales do: What whalers react: During and after the hunt
___________killers are ________ themselves on the top of the whale’s blow- hole to stop it __________; and some others are stopping it _______ or _____ out to sea. The killers started ________ between our boat and the whale just like a pack of _______ dogs. Within a moment or two, its body was _________ down into the depths of the sea. breathing fleeing During and after the hunt racing excited dragged 1. The man in the bow of the boat aimed the harpoon at the whale and then let it go to hit the spot. 1. The man in the bow of the boat aimed the harpoon at the whale and then let it go to hit the spot. Whalers’ reaction Killers’ doing A pack of throwing diving
1. According to the text, which of the following is TRUE? A. The fierce killers would attack people when they were hungry. B. The author didn’t believe the killers helped the whalers catch whales at first. C. One of the whalers, George, liked being kept waiting. D. The killers could race whales as well as excited dogs. B 2. Old Tom throws itself out of the water and then crashes down in order to ___. A. give the whalers the information about a whale B. tell the whalers it is hungry C. help the whalers catch the whale D. inform the whalers to run away 2. Old Tom throws itself out of the water and then crashes down in order to ___. A. give the whalers the information about a whale B. tell the whalers it is hungry C. help the whalers catch the whale D. inform the whalers to run away A
4. Why did the whalers go home without bringing in the body of the whale? A. They just did the hunting for fun. B. They left it eaten up by the killers. C. It was dragged to the depths of the sea. D. They just waited for it to float up. D 3. What does the word “it” in the sentence “He let it go and the harpoon hit the spot” refer to? A. The whale.B. The boat. C. The harpoon. D. The killer. C
Which was Not the danger facing James? A.being washed off the boat. B.being carried away by rough waves. C.a shark out there. D.being attacked by another killer whale. How did Old Tom help him out? How did Old Tom help him out? What whalers do: What killer whales react: Story 2
1. According to the text, the killer whales can protect men from being attacked by____. A. whales B. tigers C. enemies D. sharks D 2.We can infer from the text that____. A. The killer whales may be trained by the whalers. B. The killer whales want to help man catch the whales themselves C. The killer whales need no training for helping the whalers D. The killer whales want to eat the whales after killing them 2.We can infer from the text that____. A. The killer whales may be trained by the whalers. B. The killer whales want to help man catch the whales themselves C. The killer whales need no training for helping the whalers D. The killer whales want to eat the whales after killing them A
Put the events in the reading passage into this timeline. 1. Clancy arrived at the whaling station. 4. The men went to the boat and headed out for a whale hunt. 2. He heard a loud noise coming from the bay. 3. He saw a huge animal in the water, which was Old Tom, the killer whale. Post - Reading 7. The killers ate the lips and tongue of the baleen whale. 5. The killer whale guided the team to the hunt. 6.Clancy and his men killed the baleen whale with the help of the killers. 8. The men returned for the baleen whale the next day.
Answer the questions. 1. What evidence was there that Old Tom was helping the whalers out? 2. What other animals did the author compare the killer whales with? Why do you think the killer whales behaved like this? 3. Why did George think that the killer whales worked as a team? 4. Why did the whalers allow the killer whales to drag the whale away? 5. How did Old Tom help James? Why do you think he did this?
1.Evidence of helping the whalers throw itself out of the water and crash down again. Let the whalers know that there was a baleen whale nearby. swim by the boat Showing the whalers the way to the hunt
2. What other animals did the author compare the killer whales with? Why do you think the killer whales behaved like this? Dogs. Because they knew that together with the whalers, they would soon kill the baleen whale and get a good feed. 3. Why did George think that the killer whales worked as a team? Because he could see that some of the killers were throwing themselves on top of the whale’s blow hole while others were preventing it from swimming out to sea.
4. Why did the whalers allow the killer whales to drag the whale away? 5. How did Old Tom help James? Why do you think he did this? Because they knew the Killer Whales would leave the rest of the body to them. Old Tom prevented James from drowning. Old Tom wanted to help his human friends.
In groups, describe the relationship between Old Tom and the whalers. What other animals help humans out in hunting? Group work Old Tom had a strong relationship with the whalers. There was obviously a great deal of understanding and cooperation between them. Work as a team They have amazing relationship.
Discussion What do you suggest for protecting killer whales which human beings have endangered? A: Hello. B: Hello A: For the whales, They are … B: Yes, I really want to know how to… A: I think we can do … B: That’s right. Besides, maybe we can …. A: Good. We try best to ….They will…. B: I agree with you/I think so/.. In hard situation/in danger… Don’t allow to catch../reduce the pollution of the sea/ not interrupt their life circles /be friend with…not enemy/call people to love (protect) them together/.…
Opinions: 1.Killer whales are man’s friends. 2.There is no danger in the sea because killer whales can protect human beings. 3.There’re lots of sea animals and plants in the seas and oceans, so man can kill or use as many sea creatures as we want. 4.Sea animals should be kept in zoos, so that they’ll have more food to eat and become more healthy.
part 1 Old Tom________itself ____ ___ the water and _________down again to________that there was a baleen whale there. He _________ by the boat, __________ us the ____. As we got closer, I could see baleen whale ______ ________by a pack of about six other killers.They were working as a______. The killers stopped it _________. And others were stopping it __________.The man used the _________ to hit it. The killer whales ________ the whales into the depth of of the sea and have a good _______ on its tips and tongue threw outof crashedshow swam showing way being attacked team breathing fleeingharpoon Old Tom helped catch the whales dragged feed
part 2Old Tom saved the whaler-James One day, James was _____ ____the boat. The sea was _____. The waves were __________ him ________and _________.James was very _______ of being ____________ It took over ____ __ ______to get the boat back to James. And when we ___________him, I saw him _____ ____up in the water by Old Tom. washed off rough carrying terrified further abandoned held approched further half an hour being
Ⅲ. 完成句子 1.The little boy was afraid of ( 被单独留在家里 ). 2.The house showed ( 没有被破坏的迹象 ). 3.Mark often ( 企图逃避罚款 ) whenever he breaks traffic regulations. 4. ( 没有被告知准确的起飞时间 ),Mr.Smith missed his flight. being left at home alone no sign of having been damaged attempts to escape being fined Not having been told the exact departure time
5.For many years people in that country had been accustomed to ( 被人像动物一样对待 ). 6.Listen! ( 正被唱的那支 歌 ) is very popular with the young people. 7. ( 因为用 了很长时间 ) ， the watch needs to be mended. 8.When I arrived at his home,I found him ( 正受母亲责 备 ). being treated like animals The song being sung Having been used for a long time being scolded by his mother
9.I was surprised at ( 他被选为班长 ). 10.She was proud of ( 被邀请在会议上作报 告 ). his having been made monitor being invited to give a speech at the meeting