Presentation on theme: "Do Now: What is a hero? Answer the questions on pages 1 & 2 (up to the line) in your Hero Journey packet."— Presentation transcript:
1Do Now:What is a hero?Answer the questions on pages 1 & 2 (up to the line) in your Hero Journey packet.
2Class Definition of Hero: someone with special abilities who does something extraordinary out of bravery and courage for the betterment of others
3Heroic Traits: Brave (risktaker) Courageous Humble Confident Motivated/willing to helpPerseverantActs for good
4Open to Page 3 of your Hero’s Journey packet please DO NOW:Open to Page 3 of your Hero’s Journey packet please
5Joseph Campbell’s Hero Archetype: Joseph Campbell: modern philosopher famous for work on legends and mythsArchetype: A character, situation, or symbol that is familiar to people from all cultures because it occurs frequently in literature, myth, religion, or folklore.
6Here are some of the traits Campbell says all heroes exhibit: Unusual circumstances of birth; sometimes in danger or born into royaltyLeaves family or land and lives with othersAn event, sometimes traumatic, leads to adventure or quest
7Here are some of the traits Campbell says all heroes exhibit: Hero has a special WEAPON only he/she can useHero always has SUPERNATURAL helpThe Hero must prove himself/herself MANY times while on adventureWhen the hero DIES, he is rewarded SPIRITUALLY
8Hero’s JourneyNow, let’s take a look at how Campbell explains the hero on his/her journey:
9Phew! That’s some “deep” stuff… Let’s summarize the hero’s journey…
10EXAMPLE: The Lion King Open to p.5 of your packet. Notice the way Simba follows the hero’s journey archetype.Does Simba also meet Campbell’s criteria for a hero from your notes on p. 3?
11Do Now:On the back of your packet, make a list of any stories that fit the hero archetype mold.
13Group Project:You have the rest of the week to map out the hero’s journey of any story with a small group of 3-4 people, and create a poster of that journey as your final product.First, brainstorm the hero’s journey on p.8 of your packet. If you don’t have enough room, feel free to list the stages on a separate sheet of paper.Then, neatly transfer your work to a poster.
14Poster Rubric: Accurate: content of poster fits hero’s journey stages 10 Comprehensive: each stage is accounted for entirely 5 Creative: journey is displayed on poster in interesting/clever/authentic way 5 Attention to detail: neatness and overall readability 3 Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation, Mechanics 2 TOTAL: 25
15Max’s Hero’s Journey:When it comes to mapping out a hero’s journey, sometimes it helps to look at the big picture, or “start from the end.” This will help “frame” the hero’s journey.What is Max on a quest for? His identity; to overcome his fear of becoming Killer KaneWhat does he need to overcome or defeat on his adventure? His father; people who judge him; his learning disability; HIS FEAR OF BECOMING HIS FATHER
171. The World of Common Day: Max’s home base is a slightly impoverished neighborhood where he lives with Grim and Gram in the “Down Under.” He is an introvert and doesn’t enjoy school due to his being L.D. (learning disabled).
182. The Call to AdventureKevin calls to Max, “Identify yourself, earthling” (8).Max either doesn’t know how to identify himself or is ashamed of who he is at this stage.NOTE: In the end, Max finds his true identity, and is able to separate himself from being like his father, an “Accident of Nature.”
193. Refusal of the CallMax runs away from Kevin: “I motor out of there without saying a word” (9).“Then die, earthling!” Kevin responds.
214. Meeting the MentorMax finally gets to know Kevin, who he calls “Freak” based on his extensive knowledge.Though they are the same age, Max looks up to Kevin and admires his intelligence and zest for life.Once Max puts Kevin on his shoulders, they become a “superhuman” called “Freak the Mighty,” and Max relies on Kevin to be his brain.
225. Crossing the 1st Threshold On the 4th of July, Max is allowed to go watch fireworks without adult supervision for the first time. This becomes the “Unknown World” for Max, who doesn’t stray far from home, particularly without Grim and Gram.Kevin confronts Blade and his crew, who then chase them into the mill pond.At this point, Max has to trust Kevin for the 1st time to lead “Freak the Mighty” out of harm’s way. There’s no turning back!
236. Tests, Allies, & Enemies Tests: Allies: Enemies: Debacle of returning Loretta Lee’s purse in the New Testaments.Having to return to school and attend more difficult classes.Kevin’s choking incidentAllies:KevinGrim & GramMrs. AddisonLoretta LeeEnemies:Killer Kane
2910. The Road Back Kevin passes away. Max becomes depressed, despite becoming a local celebrity.
3011. Threshold Crossing-Resurrection Max finally deals with the buried memory of his mother’s murder and Kevin’s death.He finally discovers his own identity, and becomes more self-confident.
3112. Return with Elixir: Freedom to Live Max writes the story of Freak the Mighty’s adventures.Max becomes open to reading, too.
32Do Now: Open to page 9 of your hero journey packet. Read through Step 1.
33Hero Traits: Courage/bravery Strength (physical, mental, emotional) Extraordinary (powers or abilities that most people don’t have)Loyal to their causeSacrifice for goodInspiringHEROIC DEED/ACTIONPerseverant (doesn’t give up)
34Max IS a Hero: Courage/Bravery: Trustworthy/Loyal to his cause: Stands up to Killer Kane (risks his life)Goes to New Testaments to return Loretta’s purseSaves himself and Kevin from Tony D in the Mill PondTrustworthy/Loyal to his cause:Keeps promise of writing Freak the Mighty storiesBreaks hospital rules to get to KevinSacrifice:Faces Killer Kane (risks life for Loretta)Trust from Gram (goes to New Testaments)His body (lets Kevin control how he uses it)
35Max IS a Hero: Inspiring: Strong: (Physically) Perseverant: Helps Kevin (sets an example to helps those in need)Class used to mock him, now chant “Freak the Mighty!”Becomes local celebrity/hero when stood up to DadStrong: (Physically)Tall and larger than most adultsPerseverant:Cares for Kevin even when it gets toughDespite being depressed about losing Kevin, Max still writes their story of Freak the MightyReading/writingHEROIC DEED:Returns Loretta’s purseSaves Loretta’s life from Killer KaneSaves Kevin at Mill Pond
36Max is NOT a Hero: NO courage/bravery: NOT inspiring: NOT strong: Lets Killer Kane kidnap himNOT inspiring:Lazy (stays in “Down Under”); doesn’t “deal” with problemsDoesn’t try in schoolNOT strong:Mentally: Learning DisabledEmotionally: Doesn’t want to deal with problems (shuts down)NOT perseverant:Gives up on himself (lets kids mock him and continues not to try in school)