Presentation on theme: "Unit 1 Some Strategies for Learning English At the start of our course, it is advisable to provide some strategies for English learning."— Presentation transcript:
Unit 1 Some Strategies for Learning English At the start of our course, it is advisable to provide some strategies for English learning.
Unit 1 Some Strategies for Learning English 1. Useful Expressions 2. Text Interpretation 3. Word Family 4. Sentence Structure 5. Translation Practice 6. Reading Skill 7. Guided Writing 8. Homework
Useful Expressions 战略计划 Strategic plan Cram for a test 通讯工具 / 手段 长期努力 精通英语 可持续发展 投诉信 Means of communication Prolonged effort A good command of Eng. Sustainable development A letter of complaint 仓促用功备考
Useful Expressions Bound book 精装书 扩大会议 绵绵不断的雨 Commit to flames 犯罪 Have some acq. with 航线 Constant rain 付之一炬 Commit a crime 略懂，略知 Air / sea route Enlarged meeting
Useful Expressions 习惯用法 Idiomatic usage 指定一个日期 附加税 校园里 舞伴 可靠的信息来源 分辨，区别 Additional tax On campus Dancing partner A reliable source of Inf. Tell … apart Assign a day
Useful Expressions 笔友 Pen pal 文化差异 总而言之 文字处理 资本积累 专心 / 专注于 Cultural difference In summary/ To sum up Word processing Capital accumulation Be absorbed in
1. Warm-up questions 2. Global analysis 3. Detailed reading 4. Picture talk 5. Inspiring quotations Text Interpretation
Content questions (7) 1. Warm-up questions Related topics 1) What contributes to effective English learning? 2) Are learning strategies the most important? 3) What is the greatest difficulty you have? Have you worked out any solution? 4) How can we practice speaking English in everyday situations?
◆ What type is the text? A narration B description C exposition D argumentation 2. Global analysis ◆ What pattern is the text organized in? A problem-solution B cause-effect C general-specific D time / sequence 记叙文 a movie 描述文 a picture 说明文 a lecture 议论文 a debate 问题 - 解决 因果 总-分总-分 时间 / 顺序
1. It takes great diligence and prolonged efforts. 2. Note 1: while 3. …various strategies you can employ… 4. Have you complained about your memory? 5. You find it simply impossible to memorize… 6. It is not your memory that is at fault. 7. If you cram your head with too many words at a time, some are bound to be crowded out. 8. What you need to do is to deal with words in … ways according to how … they occur … 3. Detailed reading
9. While active words demand constant practice and useful words must be committed to memory, words that do not often occur in everyday situations require just a nodding acquaintance. 10. You will find concentrating on active and useful words the most effective route to enlarging your vocabulary. 11. Listening to English on a regular basis will not only improve your ear, but will also help you build your speaking skills. 3. Detailed reading
12. In addition to language tapes especially prepared for your course, you can … 13. The first time you listen to a taped …, you may not be able to catch a great deal. 14. With each repetition you will get sth more. 15. Seize opportunities to speak. 16. It is true that … but you can seek out… 17. Apart from compositions assigned by your … 18. It pays to absorb as much as you can from reading and listening … 3. Detailed reading
5. Inspiring quotations 1. Knowledge advances by steps and not by leaps. 学习只能循序渐进，而不能跃进。 3. There is no royal road to learning. 书山有路勤为径，学海无涯苦作舟。 2. More haste, less speed. 成功的秘诀在于对目标的执着追求。 4. The secret of success is, consistency to purpose. 欲速则不达。
Strategist, industrious, continuous, momentary, grasp, master, memorial, stuff, likely, entrust, acquaint, focus, efficient, reduce, partnership, detailed, output, buddy, motive, summary, absorption IV. Enriching your word power (9-11) Word Family
According to / In my opinion (11-12) not only … but also (13) It is true that … but (14) Sentence Structure It is true that I am ugly, but I am gentle. E.g.
1. Mrs. Smith complained to me that she often found it simply impossible to communicate with her 16-year-old daughter. 2. I firmly believe that reading simplified English novels is an easy and enjoyable way of enlarging our vocabulary. 3. I don’t think we’re doing enough to protect our environment from pollution. 4. In addition to / Apart from writing composition on a weekly basis, our English teacher assigned us 8 books to read during the summer vocation. Translation Practice
5. We’ve learned from reliable sources that a native English speaker is going to teach us spoken English next term / semester. 6. Seeing English movies on a regular basis will not only improve your ear, but will also help you build your speaking skills. 7. If you have any questions about these learning strategies, please feel free to ask me. And I’ll explain them in greater detail. 8. The Canadian girl is good at seizing every opportunity to speak Chinese. That’s why she has gained a good command of spoken Chinese in less that three years. Translation Practice
How to read a text It is advisable to read a comprehension passage at least twice: first to obtain a general impression of the text, second to concentrate on the important details. Sometimes a third reading is necessary to check difficult items. (17) Reading Skill
Combination: Using Connectives Connectives refer to words that can join parts of a sentence or different sentences. They are necessary for the establishment of logical relations in an essay. More in SFLEP PPT Guided Writing
Review Preview Recitation Fast reading Learning plan Learning journal Homework End