Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

802.1 Closing Plenary - 11/2004 Agenda. Topics n Administrative stuff n IEEE Patent Policy n Interim meetings n Liaison stuff n Sanity check n New work…?!!

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "802.1 Closing Plenary - 11/2004 Agenda. Topics n Administrative stuff n IEEE Patent Policy n Interim meetings n Liaison stuff n Sanity check n New work…?!!"— Presentation transcript:

1 802.1 Closing Plenary - 11/2004 Agenda

2 Topics n Administrative stuff n IEEE Patent Policy n Interim meetings n Liaison stuff n Sanity check n New work…?!! n Motions

3 Administrative stuff - 1 n Officers –Chair: Tony Jeffree –Vice Chair: Paul Congdon –Recording Secretary: Michael Wright –Interworking/Link Sec TG Chair: Mick Seaman –Link Sec TG Secretary: Allyn Romanow –Maintenance of website: John Messenger –Maintenance of exploder: Hal Keen n Website –http://www.ieee802.org/1/ –Username: p8021 Password: go_wildcats

4 Administrative stuff - 2 n Voting membership –Current 802 membership rules appear to be SERIOUSLY broken! However, the following is past and current practice: –N.B. terminology: A session is (the whole of) an Interim or Plenary during which meets. A meeting is a subset of a session; I.e., a contiguous time period during the session when the WG meets. Generally meetings are ½ day in duration or less. –To gain membership: Attend 3 qualifying sessions (of which 2 must be plenaries) and inform the Chair of your intention to become a voter –To maintain membership: Attend 2 out of the last 4 qualifying sessions (of which 1 must be a plenary), and respond to 2 out of 3 WG ballots –Attendance is as per signup sheet – must be 75% of meetings during a session in order to count. –Signing the signup sheet for a meeting declares that you have (or will have) attended during the majority of the allotted time for that meeting. Hence, at sessions where more than one WG meets, signing up at two parallel meetings is not valid. n Voting rights are properly regarded as an obligation, not a privilege!

5 Current voters Brandon Barry Les Bell Paul Bottorff Jim Burns Dirceu Cavendish Paul Congdon Sharam Davari Arjan de Heer Craig Easley Anush Elangovan Hesham Elbakoury David Elie-Dit-Cosaque Norm Finn David Frattura Gerard Goubert Steve Haddock Ran Ish-Shalom Atsushi Iwata Neil Jarvis Tony Jeffree Hal Keen Yongbum Kim Shobhan Lakkapragada Bill Lane Loren Larsen Yannick Le Goff Marcus Leech John Messenger Dinesh Mohan Bob Moskowitz Don O'Connor Don Pannell Glenn Parsons Ken Patton Karen Randall Allyn Romanow Dan Romascanu Jessy V Rouyer Ali Sajassi Dolors Sala John Sauer Sam Sambasivan Mick Seaman Koichiro Seto Muneyoshi Suzuki Jonathan Thatcher Geoff Thompson John Viega Preeti Vinayakray-Jani John Vollbrecht Dennis Volpano Karl Weber Ludwig Winkel Michael D. Wright

6 802.1 WG and TG operation n Consensus process; the ultimate test of consensus is the vote taken on a WG draft n Votes are not taken in Task Group or Interim meetings n WG Plenary meetings are used to take any “formal” votes n Most technical issues are resolved through Task Group ballots, prior to the formal Working Group ballot; i.e., we conduct the WG ballot only when we think we’re nearly done n Voting membership is NOT a pre-requisite to participate in TG or WG ballots n Focus is on technical progress, not studying/applying RR n Offline discussions are essential in achieving consensus

7 TG, WG, and Sponsor ballots n Task Group Ballots: –Anyone can respond and vote (although voting members are obliged to do so) –Asks the question: “Is this draft complete and ready for Working Group Ballot?” n Working Group Ballots: –Anyone can respond –Only voting members are able to (and are obliged to) vote –Asks the question: “Is this draft complete and ready for Sponsor Ballot?” n Sponsor Ballots: –Extrernal review process –Only members of the balloting group can participate –To join the various balloting pools, need to visit the IEEE website (pointer on the website)

8 Patents - Instructions for the WG Chair n At Each Meeting, the Working Group Chair shall: n Show slides #1 and #2 of this presentation n Advise the WG membership that: –The IEEE’s Patent Policy is consistent with the ANSI patent policy and is described in Clause 6 of the IEEE SA Standards Board Bylaws; –Early disclosure of patents which may be essential for the use of standards under development is encouraged; –Disclosures made of such patents may not be exhaustive of all patents that may be essential for the use of standards under development, and that neither the IEEE, the WG nor the WG Chairman ensure the accuracy or completeness of any disclosure or whether any disclosure is of a patent that in fact may be essential for the use of standards under development. n Instruct the WG Secretary to record in the minutes of the relevant WG meeting: –that the foregoing advice was provided and the two slides were shown; –that an opportunity was provided for WG members to identify or disclose patents that the WG member believes may be essential for the use of that standard; –any responses that were given, specifically the patents and patent applications that were identified (if any) and by whom. (Not necessary to be shown)

9 6. Patents IEEE standards may include the known use of patent(s), including patent applications, provided the IEEE receives assurance from the patent holder or applicant with respect to patents essential for compliance with both mandatory and optional portions of the standard. This assurance shall be provided without coercion and prior to approval of the standard (or reaffirmation when a patent becomes known after initial approval of the standard). This assurance shall be a letter that is in the form of either a) A general disclaimer to the effect that the patentee will not enforce any of its present or future patent(s) whose use would be required to implement the proposed IEEE standard against any person or entity using the patent(s) to comply with the standard or b) A statement that a license will be made available without compensation or under reasonable rates, with reasonable terms and conditions that are demonstrably free of any unfair discrimination This assurance shall apply, at a minimum, from the date of the standard's approval to the date of the standard's withdrawal and is irrevocable during that period. IEEE-SA Standards Board Bylaws on Patents in Standards Slide #1

10 Inappropriate Topics for IEEE WG Meetings n Don’t discuss licensing terms or conditions n Don’t discuss product pricing, territorial restrictions or market share n Don’t discuss ongoing litigation or threatened litigation n Don’t be silent if inappropriate topics are discussed… do formally object. If you have questions, contact the IEEE Patent Committee Administrator at Slide #2

11 Future meetings n January interim – Sacramento th January, hosted by Paul/HP n Need to think about May: –Barcelona? –Doesn’t look like interim in Edinburgh will happen n And soon after that it will be September again…

12 Liaison reports n (Bob) n IETF n (Don) n n ITU n TIA TR41.4

13 Sanity check – current PARs and PAR end dates n 802.1Q-REV: Must drive this forward ASAP. WG ballot in Nov/Dec. End date Dec ‘05 n 802.1AB: Nearly done – should be a done deal by Christmas. n 802.1AC (MAC Service): Initial draft – are we able to make progress on this yet? End date Dec ’05 n 802.1ad (Provider Bridges): WG ballot soon. End date Dec ’05 n 802.1AE (MAC security): WG ballot. End date May ’06 n 802.1af (Key agreement): Editor’s draft. End date Dec ’06 n 802.1ag (CFM): TG ballot. End date July ’07 n 802.1ah (Backbone PB) new PAR. End date Sept n 802.1aj (Two-port relay) new PAR. End date Sept n 802.1ak (MRP) new PAR. End date Sept 2007.

14 What are we going to do about… n Bridge MIB activity – do we need to raise a PAR (or PARs)? If so, we should be spending time on this in Sacto, and some input text for the PAR(s) would help. n and Bridging n Wireless management (Floyd’s tutorial) n Congestion management

15 Motions

16 MOTION n approves the July ‘2004 and October ‘2004 meeting minutes. n Proposed: Wright n Second:Finn –For: 19 Against: 0 Abstain:1

17 MOTION n resolves to hold an interim session in Sacramento, Mon 10 th January :00 AM through Thurs 13 th January 5:00 PM, hosted by HP n Proposed: wright n Second:messenger –For:20 –Against:0 –Abstain:2

18 MOTION n resolves to hold a pre-meeting on the Monday morning of the March 2005 plenary session. n Proposed: seaman n Second:wright –For: 20 Against: 0 Abstain:0

19 MOTION n requests conditional approval from the SEC, as per current P&P, to forward the P802.1AB draft to RevCom following completion of recirculation balloting n Proposed: wright Second: bell –For: 22 Against: 0 Abstain:0 n SEC Proposed: Jeffree, Second: –For: Against: Abstain:

20 MOTION n instructs the editors of P802.1ad, Mick Seaman and Steve Haddock, to prepare a further draft taking into account the discussions during the Nov 2004 meeting, and issue the draft for a Working Group ballot. n Proposed: seaman Second:finn –For: 24 Against: 0 Abstain:0

21 MOTION n instructs the editor of P802.1Q-REV, Tony Jeffree, to prepare a further draft taking into account the discussions during the Nov 2004 meeting, and issue the draft for a Working Group ballot. n Proposed: seaman Second: wright –For: 23 Against:0 Abstain:0

22 MOTION n instructs the editor of P802.1ae, Allyn Romanow, to prepare a further draft taking into account the discussions during the Nov 2004 meeting, and issue the draft for a Working Group ballot. n Proposed: romanow Second: wright –For: 21 Against:0 Abstain:1

23 MOTION n instructs the editor of P802.1ag, Norm Finn, to prepare a further draft taking into account the discussions during the Nov 2004 meeting, and issue the draft for a Task Group ballot. n Proposed: finn Second: wright –For: 23 Against:0 Abstain:0

24 MOTION n requests permission from the SEC to forward the P802.1ah “Provider Backbone Bridges” PAR to NesCom. n Proposed: bottorff Second: wright –For: 20 Against: 0 Abstain:4

25 MOTION n requests permission from the SEC to forward the P802.1aj “Two port MAC Relay” PAR to NesCom. n Proposed: finn Second:bottorff –For: 23 Against: 0 Abstain:0 n SEC Proposed: Jeffree, Second: –For: Against: Abstain:

26 MOTION n requests permission from the SEC to forward the P802.1ak “MRP” PAR to NesCom. n Proposed: finn Second:wright –For: 22 Against: 0 Abstain:1 n SEC Proposed: Jeffree, Second: –For: Against: Abstain:

27 MOTION n approves the attached liaison contribution to the MEF n Proposed bottorff second wright n For 19 against 0 abstain 0

28 Source: IEEE Title: Response to Progress on Ethernet related recommendations COMMUNICATION STATEMENT To: MEF Approval: November 2004 meeting, San Antonio Contacts: Tony Jeffree, Chair. Mick Seaman, Interworking, TF Chair. Response At our November 2004 meeting, the MEF liaison to IEEE was brought to our attention. We would like to take the opportunity to provide feedback on your current recommendations. As you have correctly indicated four multicast addresses are available which are blocked by all 802.1D, 802.1Q, and 802.1ad bridges. These addresses are: C C C C A One of these addresses would be the correct address to use for your E-LMI protocol. None of these addresses are available for exclusive use by protocols outside 802.1, however as you suggested non-exclusive use based on the MEF using a unique EtherType for the E-LMI protocol is acceptable. The IEEE committee does not assign the use to an address until an approved protocol exists which will use the address. On review we believe the correct address for your use would be C At such a time as your protocol is an approved specification of the MEF we would be willing to approve an address for your use. Thank you for your request. We look forward to assisting you further as you specification moves to approval. Attachments [1] IEEE P802.1ad Draft 3.0

29 Motion n appoints Geoff Thompson as a liaison to 802.3, to replace Don Pannell who is no longer able to fulfil this role. n Moved messenger second wright n For 22 against 0 abstain 0


Download ppt "802.1 Closing Plenary - 11/2004 Agenda. Topics n Administrative stuff n IEEE Patent Policy n Interim meetings n Liaison stuff n Sanity check n New work…?!!"

Similar presentations


Ads by Google