Presentation on theme: "10 Informatics Related Drivers of Change That Could Disrupt Pharmacy Practice in the Next 5 Years Philip E. Bourne"— Presentation transcript:
10 Informatics Related Drivers of Change That Could Disrupt Pharmacy Practice in the Next 5 Years Philip E. Bourne firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Red Balloon Challenge The challenge is to be the first to submit the locations of 10 moored, 8-foot, red, weather balloons at 10 fixed locations in the continental United States. The balloons will be in readily accessible locations and visible from nearby roads Time to Solve = 8 hours 52 minutes
1. Location and Build Up Considered intractable 29 Oct – Dr Dugan announces the DARPA Network Challenge at UCLA; DARPA issues press release to targeted media and bloggers DARPA NETWORK CHALLENGE – PROJECT REPORT – FEBRUARY 16, 2010329 Oct – Huffington Post posts the DNC announcement (many of the initial citations for early blogs are linked back to the Huffington Post article )31 Oct – MSSV posts very thoughtful and widely cited blog on the nature of the DNC and expected strategies for winning (http://mssv.net/2009/10/31/how‐to‐win‐the‐darpa‐ network‐challenge/ 1 Nov – Slashdot posts DNC announcement (http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/11/02/0056236/Find‐DARPAs‐Balloons‐ Win‐ 40K?art_pos=5)2 Nov – Wiki tracking DNC teams is launched (http://redballoon.wikispaces.com/Groups) 4 Nov – Video of Dr. Regina E. Dugan’s speech is available on YouTube(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85ryOFVeQg) 13 Nov – DNC team SpotBigRed posts first video seeking team members(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vz8ZI‐8aXA&feature=respo nse_watch) Steady trickle of traffic to the DNC website, an average of 1000 new visitors daily 24 Nov – Registration for the DNC opens. DARPA_News tweets that registration is open 1Dec– 1Dec– 2 Dec –3Dec– 3Dec–3Dec– 3Dec–4Dec– 4Dec–5Dec– 5Dec– New York Times story runs (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/science/01darpa.html?_r=1) MSNBC.com story runs (http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/12/01/2139419.aspx) NPR’s Here and Now broadcasts story on DNC. Includes interview with GA Tech Research Institute I Spay A Red Balloon team (http://www.hereandnow.org/2009/12/rundown‐122‐2/#3) Rachel Maddow show broadcasts story on DNC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wyMB0gx_3Y#watch‐main‐area) Team Farc announced (http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink=4816872) (Farc will become the #1 media referring site for web traffic) MIT Media Lab team launches website and recursive recruiting emails Nerdfighter team releases video blog (vlog) (http://nerdfighters.ning.com/profiles/blog/list?q=%2440%2C000+of+Red+ Balloons) DNC is the lead story on the CNN Tech page (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/04/darpa.balloon.challenge/index.ht ml) Scientific American story runs (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=darpa‐network‐challen ge) Balloons launched CNN Headline News story runs, includes interview with the MIT Media Lab Team https://networkchallenge.darpa.mil/ProjectReport.pdf
1. Findings Traditional mass media is predictable Viral diffusion when it occurs is rapid Twitter alone revealed ½ the balloons in one day Successful team accrued a network of collaborators very quickly Social networks can change things
2. Visualization – Impact on Pharmacy Practice Your thoughts?
3. Systems Pharmacology Tykerb – Breast cancer Gleevac – Leukemia, GI cancers Nexavar – Kidney and liver cancer Staurosporine – natural product – alkaloid – uses many e.g., antifungal antihypertensive Collins and Workman 2006 Nature Chemical Biology 2 689-700
4. Drug Repositioning Similarities between drug binding sites and TB proteins are found for 61/268 drugs 41 of these drugs could potentially inhibit more than one TB protein No. of potential TB targets No. of drugs raloxifene alitretinoin conjugated estrogens & methotrexate ritonavir testosterone levothyroxine chenodiol Kinnings et al 2010 PLoS Comp. Biol. 6(11): e1000976
5. Personalized Medicine http://pharmacogenomics.ucsd.edu/
6. Robotics/Sensors I get into my wife’s car by touching the door handle. In a few seconds the music on my iPhone starts playing and will be interrupted when a call comes in and I can answer it and speak without my hands leaving the wheel… Forgetting about uncontrollable acceleration – how could these technologies translate to pharmacy practice?