Presentation on theme: "10 Informatics Related Drivers of Change That Could Disrupt Pharmacy Practice in the Next 5 Years Philip E. Bourne"— Presentation transcript:
10 Informatics Related Drivers of Change That Could Disrupt Pharmacy Practice in the Next 5 Years Philip E. Bourne
1. Red Balloon Challenge The challenge is to be the first to submit the locations of 10 moored, 8-foot, red, weather balloons at 10 fixed locations in the continental United States. The balloons will be in readily accessible locations and visible from nearby roads Time to Solve = 8 hours 52 minutes
1. Location and Build Up Considered intractable 29 Oct – Dr Dugan announces the DARPA Network Challenge at UCLA; DARPA issues press release to targeted media and bloggers DARPA NETWORK CHALLENGE – PROJECT REPORT – FEBRUARY 16, Oct – Huffington Post posts the DNC announcement (many of the initial citations for early blogs are linked back to the Huffington Post article )31 Oct – MSSV posts very thoughtful and widely cited blog on the nature of the DNC and expected strategies for winning (http://mssv.net/2009/10/31/how‐to‐win‐the‐darpa‐ network‐challenge/ 1 Nov – Slashdot posts DNC announcement (http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/11/02/ /Find‐DARPAs‐Balloons‐ Win‐ 40K?art_pos=5)2 Nov – Wiki tracking DNC teams is launched (http://redballoon.wikispaces.com/Groups) 4 Nov – Video of Dr. Regina E. Dugan’s speech is available on YouTube(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85ryOFVeQg) 13 Nov – DNC team SpotBigRed posts first video seeking team members(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vz8ZI‐8aXA&feature=respo nse_watch) Steady trickle of traffic to the DNC website, an average of 1000 new visitors daily 24 Nov – Registration for the DNC opens. DARPA_News tweets that registration is open 1Dec– 1Dec– 2 Dec –3Dec– 3Dec–3Dec– 3Dec–4Dec– 4Dec–5Dec– 5Dec– New York Times story runs (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/science/01darpa.html?_r=1) MSNBC.com story runs (http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/12/01/ aspx) NPR’s Here and Now broadcasts story on DNC. Includes interview with GA Tech Research Institute I Spay A Red Balloon team (http://www.hereandnow.org/2009/12/rundown‐122‐2/#3) Rachel Maddow show broadcasts story on DNC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wyMB0gx_3Y#watch‐main‐area) Team Farc announced (http://www.fark.com/cgi/comments.pl?IDLink= ) (Farc will become the #1 media referring site for web traffic) MIT Media Lab team launches website and recursive recruiting s Nerdfighter team releases video blog (vlog) (http://nerdfighters.ning.com/profiles/blog/list?q=%2440%2C000+of+Red+ Balloons) DNC is the lead story on the CNN Tech page (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/04/darpa.balloon.challenge/index.ht ml) Scientific American story runs (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=darpa‐network‐challen ge) Balloons launched CNN Headline News story runs, includes interview with the MIT Media Lab Team https://networkchallenge.darpa.mil/ProjectReport.pdf
1. Factors Impacting Team Performance
1. Findings Traditional mass media is predictable Viral diffusion when it occurs is rapid Twitter alone revealed ½ the balloons in one day Successful team accrued a network of collaborators very quickly Social networks can change things
Much Has Happened Since Then
2. Visualization Under the best circumstances remote conferencing is possible over 8000 miles as if you were there – this will be the Skype video of tomorrow and will inflict social change
Geography is not an issue
2. Visualization – Impact on Pharmacy Practice Your thoughts?
3. Systems Pharmacology Tykerb – Breast cancer Gleevac – Leukemia, GI cancers Nexavar – Kidney and liver cancer Staurosporine – natural product – alkaloid – uses many e.g., antifungal antihypertensive Collins and Workman 2006 Nature Chemical Biology
4. Drug Repositioning Similarities between drug binding sites and TB proteins are found for 61/268 drugs 41 of these drugs could potentially inhibit more than one TB protein No. of potential TB targets No. of drugs raloxifene alitretinoin conjugated estrogens & methotrexate ritonavir testosterone levothyroxine chenodiol Kinnings et al 2010 PLoS Comp. Biol. 6(11): e
5. Personalized Medicine
6. Robotics/Sensors I get into my wife’s car by touching the door handle. In a few seconds the music on my iPhone starts playing and will be interrupted when a call comes in and I can answer it and speak without my hands leaving the wheel… Forgetting about uncontrollable acceleration – how could these technologies translate to pharmacy practice?
6. Robotics/Sensors Examples?
7. Open Science Josh Sommer and Chordoma Disease