Presentation on theme: "DO YOU KNOW ENGLISH WELL? English contest 9 forms 2009."— Presentation transcript:
DO YOU KNOW ENGLISH WELL? English contest 9 forms 2009
1. Matching Make up as many city names as you can MANBRIDGE NEWPOOL LIVERCHESTER NOTTINGCASTLE BIRMINGSEA PLYPOOL CHELTENFORD STRATHAM OXHAM SWANMOUTH CAMHAM BLACKFORD
2. Do you know these people and their jobs? Tchaikovsky was a … Charlie Chaplin was a … Lewis Carrol was a … Michelangelo was a … Gagarin was a … Archimedes was a … Cleopatra was a … George Washington was a … The Beatles were … Ivan IV (the Terrible) was a …
3. History How is the state flag of the UK sometimes called? What do the letters MP stand for? What disaster did the whole England suffer from in the 14th century? What is the full name of the present English Queen? When was the Great Fire of London? What was the first name of London?
4. Inventions and discoveries Who was the first flight in an airplane made by? Orville Wright Louis Bleriot Wilbur Wright When and where was the first computer developed? in 1948 in Britain in 1960 in Japan in 1957 in America
4. Inventions and discoveries When was the first bicycle built? Where and when was the first telescope made? in Holland in 1608 in Greece in 200 BC in the USA in 1808
5. Translation Я люблю гулять на природе. I love going for walks in the country. I love going to walks in nature. Я сидел в тени. I sat outside in the shadow. I sat outside in the shade.
5. Translation В Лондоне очень высокая стоимость жизни. The cost of living is very high in London. The price of living is very high in London. Я работаю официанткой по пятницам. I work like a waitress on Fridays. I work as a waitress on Fridays.
6. Christmas When was the first Christmas tree introduced to Britain? about 1920 about 1650 about 1830 about 1870 Who made the Christmas tree popular in Britain? Father Christmas Queen Victoria Good King Wenceslas Queen Elizabeth II
6. Christmas Which of these things would you find on your plate at Christmas ? trinkets tapers ivy Sweetmeat Where does the tradition of decorating a house with mistletoe at Christmas come from? Germany the Druids Bohemia Turkey