Presentation on theme: "MANDATOS. It is very important to be polite when traveling to other countries. When addressing people, you may need to suggest that they do something,"— Presentation transcript:
It is very important to be polite when traveling to other countries. When addressing people, you may need to suggest that they do something, but it needs to sound polite. There is an easy way to do this in Spanish: you use a formal command.
The Usted/ formal command is formed by: taking the YO form of the verb, dropping the O, and adding the opposite ending in the present-tense, third person singular: For –AR verbs, drop the O and add E. Ex: Hablar Hablo _hable____ For –ER / -IR verbs, drop the O and add A. Ex: Comer Como __coma_____
Ejemplo: Señor Chavez, por favor entre el museo. Mr. Chavez, please enter the museum. To make these negative, just add “no” before the command Ejemplo: No coma el pastel. Do not eat the cake.
The Ustedes Command (plural) is formed by: taking the YO form of the verb, dropping the O, and adding the opposite ending in the present-tense, third person plural: For –AR verbs, drop the O and add EN. Ex: Hablar Hablo Hablen For –ER / -IR verbs, drop the O and add AN. Ex: Comer Como Coman
1. (You formal) Work to live. _________________________________ 2. (All of you) Set the table. ______________________________ 3. (You formal) Have a good day. _______________________________ 4. (All of you) Do your homework. ________________________________
5.Come back! (Usted, volver)_________________ 6. Don’t fall asleep! ________________________ 7. Have a snack. (usted) ______________________________ 8. Feed the cats! (ustedes, dar de comer a) ___________________________________
9. Bring a friend! (ustedes) ____________________________ 10. Don’t write letters. (usted) _____________________________________ 11. Help our friend! (usted) __________________________________ 12. Go out with me. (usted) _______________________________________
That also applies here. If you are switching a verb that ends in car, gar, zar, then : Gar -> gue Car -> que Zar -> ce. Almorzar = almuercen (all of you, have lunch) All of you, take out the trash (sacar la basura) = Saquen la basura Look for the book (usted or ustedes) = Busque / busquen el libro Play the piano (usted or ustedes) = Toque/ toquen el piano
1. I ought to study. ________________________________________ 2. They should listen. _____________________________________ 3. You ought to do your homework. ________________________________________ 4. We should not wear more makeup. ________________________________________ 5. He should use deodorant. ________________________________________
* Commands with Double Object Pronouns * Form the Usted or Ustedes command as usual. * For positive Usted/Ustedes commands, attach the IOP first, then the DOP. * Accent on the FOURTH to last syllable
* Example: * Pedro va a recomendar las enchiladas a nosotros. * Command: Pedro, recommend the enchiladas to us! * Las enchiladas DOP = Las * A nosotros IOP = Nos * Recomiendo -> Recomiende * Command + IOP plus DOP = Recomiendenoslas = accent on 4 th to last: * Recomiéndenoslas = Recommend us them!
* Example: * Pedro va a traer el menú a Susana. * Command: Pedro, bring her the menu! * El menú DOP =will become “lo.” * A Susana IOP = would be LE, but since you will have a le lo that’s NOT okay! Will become SE. * Bring in YO form = Traigo, opp. Ending = Traiga. * Traiga + (IOP)SE + (DOP) LO = Traigaselo, accent on 4 th to last = * Tráigaselo.
* All of you, give the letter to my sisters! * Command: Dar = den * La carta DOP = _La__ * A mis hermanas IOP = __les becomes se____ * ____Dénsela______ * No 4 th to last syllable, so you have to put it as far as it can go!
* Tell me the truth (la verdad). * Command = ___diga_____ * IOP and DOP = ___me and la_______ * __Dígamela_____
* Negative with Double Object Pronouns * Form the Usted or Ustedes command as usual. * For negative Usted/Ustedes commands, put the NO first, then the IOP, then the DOP, THEN the command. * No accent needed!
* Don’t serve us the potatoes, don’t serve us them. * Yo form of server = sirvo, drop the O, make it an A. * Nos and Las will be your IOP and DOP * ¡No nos las sirva!
* Don’t read him the story (el cuento). * Leer -> lea * Le and lo will be your IOP and DOP, but Le has to become _______. * ¡No se lo lea!
* Don’t buy her the chocolate. * Command = __compre_ * IOP and DOP = le becomes se, lo * Final answer = ¡No se lo compre!
* All of you, don’t teach the students the word. * Command = ___enseñen__ * IOP and DOP= __les becomes se, la palabra = la_____ * Final answer = __No se la enseñen_____
* Don’t show the dog the food! * Command = _muestre_____ * IOP and DOP = _se and la_____ * __¡ No se la muestre!______