Presentation on theme: "SOUTHFIELD ALUMNI CHAPTER OF KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC."— Presentation transcript:
1SOUTHFIELD ALUMNI CHAPTER OF KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
2TABLE OF CONTENTSPART I - Background is general information that provides basic background information about the Chapter;PART II - Province Certification certifies that the Province of jurisdiction. This section must be signed by the Province Polemarch and the Keeper of Records. PART III - Grand Chapter Certification certifies that the Chapter is in good standing with the Grand Chapter and meets the statutory requirements.Part 1VGoals & ObjectivesChapter BudgetGuide Right ProgramUndergraduate Chapter SupportChapter’s involvement with Grand Chapter ProgramsChapter’s Community Involvementa. Political actionb. Social Actionc. Scholarship SupportD. Community ServiceE. Financial Support of non-profit organizationsChapter’s Reclamation & Retention EffortsElected Officers/Committee Chairs who serve Province/Grand Chapter
3POLEMARCH TONY ZERINGUE OUTLINED THE STRATEGIC PLAN FOR THE KAPPA YEAR AT THE STATE OF THE CHAPTER ADDRESS
4PART IV 1. STATE THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE CHAPTER FOR THE PREVIOUS YEAR AND THE RESULTS Goal 1: Results:
5SOUTHFIELD ALUMNI CHAPTER RECEIVES LARGE CHAPTER OF THE YEAR AWARD AT THE 65TH NORTHERN PROVINCE COUNCIL
61. STATE THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE CHAPTER FOR THE PREVIOUS YEAR AND THE RESULTS Goal 2: Nominate a well deserving Brother from Southfield Alumni Chapter for a Grand Chapter Award.Result: The Southfield Alumni Chapter has successfully nominated Brother James Calvin McCray for the Laurel Wreath Award, in recognition of his extra-meritorious contributions to the Fraternity’s advancement, in the area of the Education Profession.James Calvin McCray completed his military service and returned to the University of Illinois in 1946, became the President of the 1946 Beta Chapter Scroller Club and was initiated into Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.James Calvin McCray regularly interacted with revered Founders of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., including Ezra D. Alexander, Byron K. Armstrong, Henry T. Asher, and Edward G. Irvin.
7BROTHER J. CALVIN MCCRAY DURING HIS ANNUAL EXPLORING AFRICA IN SOUTHFIELD PROGRAM.
81. STATE THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE CHAPTER FOR THE PREVIOUS YEAR AND THE RESULTS Through the Southfield Kappa Foundation, distribute over $15,000 in scholarships to college bound and returning students by July 2012.Results: On Saturday, May 19th, 2012, the Southfield Kappa Foundation hosted its 23rd Annual Touch of K.L.A.S.S Scholarship Banquet at Pi Banquet Hall in Southfield. Sixteen high school and college students received $1000 scholarships and one student received a $500 scholarship. Since 1986, the Southfield Kappa Foundation has awardedover $700,000 in scholarships.Youth of the Banquet were treated to a dynamic key note address given by Brother Mikel Slater, VP of Global Human Resources for Meritor, Inc. Slater discussed the importance of Planning and gave a personal account of how his success was no accident.
101. STATE THE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE CHAPTER FOR THE PREVIOUS YEAR AND THE RESULTS Distribute over 250 food baskets to needy families for the 2011 Thanksgiving holiday.Result: On Saturday, November 19, 2011 the Southfield Alumni Chapter hosted it’s annual Thanksgiving Food Drive at New Hope Baptist Church in Southfield. For the second consecutive year SAC provided Thanksgiving Food baskets to over 250 families. Baskets included a large turkey and all the trimmings. Channel 15 capturedand broadcasted the event on local cable access.
122. DESCRIBE BRIEFLY THE CHAPTER’S BUDGET; ITS DEVELOPMENT, SOURCES OF FUNDS; DISTRIBUTION OF RESOURCES AND RELATIONSHIP TO GOALS STATED IN ITEM #1Creation of the annual chapter budget began in the various committee meetings held prior to the chapter’s annual planning retreat. Newly elected and returning officers met to identify chapter goals and objectives, begin the budget development process, and formulate the chapter planning retreat agenda. Committee goals, objectives, strategies, and expense estimates were formulated and a report was generated for presentation at the planning retreat.The Southfield Alumni Leadership Planning Retreat was held on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at the Providence Professional Building. Each committee chairperson or representative presented his proposal to the chapter leadership team. The chapter leadership addressed the committee proposals that were given and prioritized each budget line item by vote. This process in turn helped to prioritize the chapter’s objectives.The Keeper of Exchequer then linked the projected revenue and expense forecast with projected membership level forecasts. From there, budgetary funds were allocated against the prioritized chapter objectives.
13SAC PROPOSED ANNUAL BUDGET Bank Service Charges Membership Intake Expense Bank Supplies National Foundation Donation 1, Black and White Ball Expense P.O. Box Expense C. Rodger Wilson Planning Retreat Chapter Meeting Expense Polemarch Expense Civic Contributions Political Action Community Service Expense 1, Province Council Expense Council of Past Polemarch RAN Expense 1, Founders Day 4, 4, Scholarship Grand Chapter Meeting 2, Senior Kappa Affairs Golf Outing 0.00 Southfield Kappa League 2, Historian Reporter Storage Unit Insurance Unbudgeted Expenses 0.00 Keeper of Records Undergraduate Liaison Kyle Singer Award White Jacket Committee Membership/Reclamation Website Expense Total Expense ,
143. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S GUIDE RIGHT PROGRAM The chapter’s Guide Right Program involved various activities with young men and women, including:November 10, 2012 The Southfield Kappa League held it’s first annual Kappa League Jacket Ceremony designed to stress the importance of the Kappa League commitment for new inductees.The Southfield leaguers assisted the Brothers in raising funds and distributing food for the Annual Thanksgiving Food Drive.Once a quarter the Kappa Leaguers attend church service together.The Kappa Leaguers conducted their Adopt-A-Family-For-Christmas Program. They put their own monies together, went shopping, and purchased Christmas gifts for a family in need. Then they hosted a party in their honor.Kappa leaguers participate in the Diamonds in the Rough ACT Prep course every second Saturday of the month.Southfield Kappa Leaguers participated in the annual Southfield Martin Luther King Peace Walk.The Southfield Kappa League held their annual fundraiser at the Detroit Repertory Theatre in January 2013.The Southfield Kappa League hosted the first annual Southfield Kappa League Quiz Bowl on February 16th, 2013 at Hope United Church. 5 teen groups from various Greek organizations, participated in a Jeopardy style competition where they were challenged to show their knowledge of Black History.
178. GIVE THE NAMES OF CHAPTER BROTHERS WHO HOLD AN ELECTIVE OR APPOINTIVE OFFICE OR COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP AT THE PROVINCE OR GRAND CHAPTER LEVEL (INDICATE HIS INVOLVEMENT)Alumni Grand Board Member: Harry G. FranklinNorthern Province Keeper of Records: Christopher CarswellNorthern Province Chaplain: Gerald CardwellNorthern Province Audit Committee: Douglas SandersNorthern Province Political & Social Committee Chair: James Jackson
184. DOES THE CHAPTER SPONSOR AN UNDERGRADUATE CHAPTER 4. DOES THE CHAPTER SPONSOR AN UNDERGRADUATE CHAPTER? IF SO, NAME THE UNDERGRADUATE CHAPTER AND GIVE A DESCRIPTION OF THE CHAPTER’S INTERACTION WITH THE CHAPTER. ALSO INCLUDE A STATEMENT ON ANY FINANCIAL SUPPORT PROVIDED TO THE CHAPTER. ATTACH A LETTER OF SUPPORT FROM THE UNDERGRADUATE CHAPTERSouthfield Alumni Chapter led the charge in reactivating the Nu Upsilon Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. at The University of Michigan Dearborn.Three initiates will be welcomed to the bond at the Spring MOIP weekend: Kyle Hicks, Orande Burrell and Anton Barnes.Southfield Alumni will assist the Nu Upsilon initiates increase their presence on the University’s campus, including : growing their membership, meaningful community service and social/political involvement.
19CANDIDATES FOR INITIATION INTO THE NU UPSILON CHAPTER OF KAPPA ALPHA PSI
20Grand Chapter Council of Province Polemarchs DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITH PROGRAMS OF GOALS ANNOUNCED BY THE GRAND CHAPTER AND PROVINCE COUNCIL (INCLUDE NAMES OF PROGRAMS/GOALS).The Southfield Alumni Chapter supported all programs announced by the Grand Chapter and Province Council including but not limited to: 80th Grand Chapter Meeting, 644th Northern Province Council, 2011 C. Rodger Wilson Leadership Council, and Northern Province Leadership Meetings. Additional chapter involvement with other programs listed below:Grand Chapter Council of Province PolemarchsGrand Chapter Piney Woods InitiativeKappa Alpha Psi FoundationGrand Chapter Meeting on site supportGrand Chapter “Diamonds in the Rough” Program_________________________________________________Northern Province Committee Chairs:James Jacksons – Political and Social ActionDouglas Sanders - Audit
216. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. A 6. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. A. POLITICAL ACTIONResults: The Southfield Alumni Chapter’s Political and Social Action Committee has played an important part in keeping our members and citizens of Metropolitan Detroit informed about important political and social issues that impact them.The Political Action Committee in conjunction with the Southfield Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta hosted a Judicial Debate on Thursday October 18th with candidates for the 46th District Court in Oakland County.Southfield Alumni Chapter hosted Southfield Mayor Brenda Lawrence during her bid for US Congress.
22SAC POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE SOUTHFIELD JUDICIAL DEBATE/ SAC HOST SOUTHFIELD MAYOR BRENDA LAWRENCE
236. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. B 6. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. B. SOCIAL ACTIONThe Southfield Alumni Chapter’s Political and Social Action Committee has done an excellent job of keeping our Chapter engaged in social issues as well as hosting informative forums to engage the community.The Southfield Alumni Chapter participated in the annual MLK Peace March in Southfield on Martin Luther King Day 2013.The Southfield Kappa Foundation was awarded a $10,000 grant from Ally Financial to support low-income Metro Detroit residents with financial education.
256. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. C 6. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. C. SCHOLARSHIP SUPPORTThe Southfield Kappa Foundation held its 22nd Annual “Touch of KLASS” Scholarship Banquet in May of 2012 at PI Banquet Hall in Southfield, MI. Throughout the Kappa year, the Foundation raised funds through its $500 Club, DAPS Golf Outing and Annual Red Party to provide $16,000 in scholarships to deserving Metro Detroit youth. Since 1986 over $750,000 in scholarships has been awarded.
276. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. C 6. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. C. COMMUNITY SERVICEHarry G. Franklin Pancake Breakfast – June 16, 2012 at the Royal Oak Township Recreation Center. Served 46 Seniors from Pearl Wright Senior Center.Thanksgiving Food Drive – Fundraiser & Distribution – November 17, 2012 at New Hope Baptist Church on W. 9 Mile in Southfield, MI. Over 250 families received Food baskets including a 12 lb. Turkey. The Brothers were assisted by the Southfield Kappa Leaguers.Southfield Goodfellows – Southfield, MI – Monday, November 26, 2012 and Saturday, December 15, SAC Brothers raised $300 selling Goodfellows newspapers and assisted in packaging of gift items distributed for XMAS at the Southfield Distribution center on Lahser Road in Southfield, MI.Pearl Wright XMAS Party – December 19, 2012 at the Assembly Line Buffet in the Motor City Casino in Detroit, MI. SAC brothersSKIP Program - On December 15, 2012 members of the SAC donated gifts to youth in the Saving Kids of Incarcerated Parents (SKIP) program at Don Bosco Hall in Detroit.
30Financial Support included: Kappa Alpha Psi Foundation 6. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S INVOLVEMENT WITHIN THE COMMUNITY. D. CONTRIBUTIONS TO CHARITABLE ORGANIZATIONS AND NON-PROFITSFinancial Support included:Kappa Alpha Psi FoundationForgotten HarvestNorth Oakland County Branch of NAACP
317. DESCRIBE THE CHAPTER’S RECLAMATION AND RETENTION EFFORTS SAC awarded Large Chapter of the Year at the 65th Northern Province Council.SAC hosted it’s 26th Founders Day Celebration in July of Our 50 year members received cream blazers.On July 28th, 2012, the Southfield Alumni Chapter participated in the 2012 DAPS Foundation Golf Outing at the Copper Ridge Golf Club.RAN Committee and Council of Past Polemarchs hosted a number of fun social events to reclaim Brothers and retain members including: Third Thursday Networking events, Old Skool Party and Annual SAC Family Kook-Out!SAC hosted the First Annual Southfield Alumni Softball Slugfest on Saturday October 6 , 2012 at Inglenook Park. Alumni Chapters from Detroit, Pontiac, Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti/Inkster also participated.SAC hosts “Hoops with the Nupes” every Monday at Beechwood Rec Center.