13Describe one of your friends His/Her name is …He/She is … years old.He/She likes … and dislikes …He/She is very kind/friendly/…
14To have a good friend, you need to be a good friend.
15Do the survey on P1 by yourself Do the survey on P1 by yourself. Then add up your score and see how many points you get.
164-7 points:You are not a good friend. You eitherignore your friend’s needs or just dowhat he/she wants you to do. Youshould think about what a goodfriend needs to do. Think moreabout this.
17become too important, or you fail to show enough concern for 8-12 points:You are a good friend but you sometimes let your friendshipbecome too important, or youfail to show enough concern foryour friend’s needs and feelings. Try to strike a balance between your friend’s needs and your own responsibilities.
1813+ points:You are an excellent friend who recognizes that to be a good friend you need to balance your needs and those of your friends. Well done!
19Match the words upset to become quiet after nervous activity ignore calm … downhave got tobe concerned aboutwalk the doglooseto become quiet after nervous activityto be worried aboutunhappy and worriedto take no notice ofhave to dofree, not tied upto take a dog for a walk
20Language Points add v. 加, 做加法; 增添 If you add five and/to five, you get ten.Please add more sugar to my coffee.请在我的咖啡中再加点糖。His schooling added up to no morethan two years.他受的学校教育加起来还不到两年。近义词: increase put together反义词: subtract 减去, 减
21Add up add up to added to add to add up: 把……加起来 add up to: 总共是, 总计是 add A to B: 增加, 添加A到B中_______ all the numbers and you willsee how much you owe me.2) All the numbers __________ exactly 900.3) The bad weather only _________ ourdifficulties.4) Don’t ____ fuel ____ the flames.Add upadd up toadded toadd to
22A A 5) We have planted flowers and green trees around the buildings, which ____ the beauty of the city.A. adds to B. add upC. add up to D. are added to6) The engine of the ship was out of orderand the bad weather_____ thehelplessness of the crew at sea. (2003上海)A. added to B. resulted fromC. turned out D. made upAA
237) There have been several new events ____ to the program for the2008 Beijing Olympic Games.(06北京)add B. to add C. adding D. added D
242. …you had to pay to get it repaired. get sth. done=have sth. done请人做某事 (非亲自动手)上周我去城里剪头发了。Last week I went to the town toget/have my hair cut.爸爸明天要去检查身体。Tomorrow Daddy will have/ gethimself examined.
253.Your friend comes to school very upset. upset (vt. & vi.) 打翻; 使不安; 使心烦(upset-upset / upsetting)A strong wind upset the house.Don’t upset yourself.adj. 不安的; 心烦意乱的He was upset at not being invited.Hearing the news, he feels upset.upset 做形容词时, 通常不置于名词之前。
26nervous anxious upset upsets upset disturbed /sick vt. vi 使不安, 使心烦, 打乱, 打翻区别: nervous (rather afraid) :在事情发展过程中有一种害怕的感觉 紧张anxious (worried): 由于害怕某种事情会发生而感到焦急 upset (rather unhappy):由于某事的发生而感到心烦意乱1) I’m always ________ when I have to make aspeech.2) Your mother will be ________ until she hearsyou’re safe.3) She was very _______ when the dog died.4) The news quite __________ him.5) If the rain keeps falling, it will _______ ourwhole plan.nervousanxiousupsetupsetsupset
274. ignore vt. 不理睬; 忽视be ignored 不知道, 没意识到I said hello to her, but she ignoredme completely.I can’t ignore his rudeness any longer.You can’t ignore the fact that manycriminals never go to prison.He ________ the doctor’s advice andgoes on smoking.I _____________ that the boss couldbe so strict.ignoreswas ignored
28n. ignorance 无知, 愚昧, 不学无术His ignorance is surprising.I was in complete ignorance of hisintentions.adj. ignorant 无知识的, 不知道的,愚昧的, 幼稚的be ignorant of 对……无知, 不知道
29ignore something 和 be ignorant of sth的区别 If you ignore sth, you know about it but pay noattention.e.g. He knew there was a speed limit, but he ignoredit and drove very fast.他知道有车速限制，但却置之不理，把车开得飞快。If you are ignorant of sth, you don’t know about it.e.g. Most passengers were totally ignorant of thesafety procedures. 大多数旅客根本不知道安全措施。
305. calm① vi. (人等)变平静; (风等) 变宁息这个激动的女孩子很快变得平静了。The excited girl quickly calmed down.② vt. 使平静, 使镇定下来当朋友生气时, 你应劝劝他。When your friend is angry, you shouldcalm him down.
33用quiet, calm, silent, still 填空 1) Let’s go and _____ your angry brotherdown.2) They moved to the countryside and liveda ________ life.3) I prefer ______ reading to reading aloud.4) You should keep _____ while I take aphoto of you.calmquietsilentstill
346. have got to = have to不得不; 必须(客观)haven’t got to/don’t have toWithout machines, all the work had to be done by hand.否定: haven’t got to/don’t have tomust: 必须 (主观)You must come back before 9 o’clock.
357. concernvt. 使担忧, 涉及, 关系到That doesn’t concern us.What concerns me is our lack of preparation.n. 利害关系; 担心; 关注I have no concern with the accident.
36be concerned about/for 为……担心; 关注 His mother is always concerned abouthis future and his happiness.他的妈妈常为他的前途和幸福担心。be concerned with 与……有关系；参与He seemed to be concerned with the case.be involved in他看起来和这个案子有关系。
37We are all concerned about / for her safety.More than one person has beenconcerned with this matter.as/so far as sb. is concerned=in one’s opinion 就某人而言， 在某人看来As far as I am concerned, the wholeidea is crazy.
388. loose adj. 1) 松开的, 自由的, 无束缚的get/be loose 未拴住的, 松开的I have one hand loose but the other is tied.我的一只手没捆着, 另一只手却被捆绑着。This dog must not be left loose.这只狗一定得拴住。2) 松的, 松动的, 不紧的, 宽松的a loose button 快掉的扣子the loose soil 疏松的土壤a loose sweater 宽松的套衫
399. cheat v. 欺骗; 骗取; 作弊cheat sb. (out) of sth. 骗取某人的某物cheat sb. into doing … 骗某人做……cheat at … 作弊; 作假It was foolish of him ______________________. (被骗了钱)He was cheated ____________. (吸烟)It is wrong _______________________.(考试作弊)to be cheatedof his moneyinto smokingto cheat in an examination
40He always cheats at cards but he seldom wins.他打牌总作弊, 但很少赢。He was caught cheating in the exam.他考试作弊时被当场抓获。The old lady was so honest that thecheat easily cheated her (out) of hergold ring.老太太那么诚实, 骗子很容易的骗走了她的金戒指。
4110. should have done 本来应该做某事 (而实际没做, 含有责备的意味)should not have done 本来不该做某事(而实际已做)He looks upset. I ________________________________.(本不该告诉他这个坏消息)You are late. You _________________________________. (早五分钟来)shouldn’t have told him the bad newsshould have come five minutes earlier
42Phrases add up get the points/scores calm down have got to be concerned aboutend-of-term examno longer/not any longerget along withbe / get tired of把……加起来得分平静下来不得不对……担心；关心期末考试不再……与……相处对……厌烦
43Exercise 1. It is rude to point your fingers ____ others. A. to B. at C. out D. For2. The clock points ____ 12, and I feltvery hungry.A. to B. out C. in D. atBA
443. You _____ your homework yesterday. A. will have handed inB. should have handed inC. must handed inD. would handed in4. You shouldn’t keep ____ whenyour teacher asks you a question.A. still B. silent C. quiet D. calmBB
455. He added some sugar _____ the milk. A. to B. at C. out D. for6. You had better have the second-handcar get ____ before you sell it.A. repaired B. repairC. in repair D. repairingAA
46Enjoy some proverbs Life without friend is death. Without a friend, the world is wilderness.It is good to have friends in trouble.
47A friend in need is a friend indeed. A faithful friend is hard to find.A man without a friend is only halfa man.
48A life without a friend is a life without a sun. Do you like friends? Do you have good friends?How many kinds of friends are there in your opinion?What kind of friends do you prefer?Can you describe one of your friends to us?
49Friends care Friends share We need friends Everywhere! Friends by Jill EgglestonFriends careFriends shareWe need friendsEverywhere!
50Nothing in the world is better and more pleasing than friendship.Without it, the world would losethe sun.世界上没有比友谊更好, 更令人愉快的东西了, 没有友谊, 世界仿佛失去了太阳。
51Homework 1. Write a short passage about your best friend. 2. Review the language points.3. Prepare for the reading. (Read thetext and the new words.)