www.students.graduate.ucf.edu: Grad Student site www.students.graduate.ucf.edu Graduate Student Handbook>Graduate Teaching www.graduatecatalog.ucf.edu Financial Information>Graduate Assistantships www.admin.graduate.ucf.edu/: Faculty/staff Grad site www.admin.graduate.ucf.edu/ Staff Guide>Student Finances>Assistantships Staff Guide>Student Finances>Tuition Remission Program Director’s Guide>Graduate Student Finances>Assistantships Program Director’s Guide>Graduate Student Finances>Graduate Teaching Requirements Faculty Guide>Graduate Student Finances>Assistantships www.admin.graduate.ucf.edu/formsnfiles: Forms can be found at this link beginning with “FIN ASST” or “FIN GTA”. www.admin.graduate.ucf.edu/formsnfiles http://www.cah.ucf.edu/fs/files.php: CAH Hiring documents. Graduate forms can be found under “OPS” http://www.cah.ucf.edu/fs/files.php
Fulltime Enrollment: 9 hours minimum 3 hours of thesis or dissertation* Must be in good academic standing and making progress toward their degree Degree-Seeking Must be accepted into degree program Non-degree seeking students NOT eligible Certificate only students NOT eligible * once coursework has been completed
Full Assistantship 0.50 FTE = 20 hours per week Fall/Spring stipend: $6,600 Half Assistantship 0.25 FTE = 10 hours per week Fall/Spring stipend: $3,300
Graduate Assistants with a full-time course load should NOT pursue outside employment. Graduate Assistants are NOT eligible for UCF benefits. Graduate Assistants may NOT be employed simultaneously under other UCF job codes, e.g. USPS or OPSGRD. Fulltime UCF employees are NOT eligible for assistantship support. Students may NOT simultaneously be appointed as both an undergraduate and a graduate assistant.
Requirements Complete GTA training sessions Complete online Grader training Complete online Assistants training Complete online Associate training Complete face-to-face Associate training Score 55 or higher on SPEAK test (if applicable) Complete 18 hours of coursework in teaching discipline Grade of “B” or higher No “in progress” coursework Teach undergraduate courses but NOT graduate Listed as instructor of record in schedule Receive Performance Assessment each semester
● Requirements Complete GTA Training Complete online Grader Training Complete online Assistants Training Score of 50 or higher on SPEAK test (if applicable) Supervised whenever presenting material to students NOT listed in schedule as Instructor of Record Receive Performance Assessment each semester
● Requirements Complete online Grader training NOT listed in schedule as Instructor of Record No direct contact with students Receive Performance Assessment each semester
● Requirements Enrolled full-time Degree Seeking Eligible Student Status NOT listed in schedule as Instructor of Record No teaching or course related responsibilities
GTA/GA/GRA* Assistantships must be submitted to the college (CAH) by the following deadline: GTA/GA/GRA* Allocations in Grad Financials System – Friday, May 16 th, 2014 by 5PM GTA/GA/GRA* Online Assistantship Agreement (GAA) form – Monday, June 16 th, 2014 by 5PM GTA/GA/GRA* ePAF and hiring paperwork – Monday, July 7 th, 2014 by 5PM * For continuing and new students
When completing the Assistantship Agreement, use 2044 for fellowship students (excludes Graduate Dean’s Fellowship) Write Assistantships for academic year Start Date: 8/18/14 End Date: 5/8/15 Fall only dates: 8/18/14 – 12/12/14 Spring only dates: 1/12/15 – 5/8/15 Assistantship ePAFs submitted late for valid reasons must attach a Late Justification Form explaining the nature of the justification. (Used for assistantships submitted between Aug. 15 and Sept. 15) Include details for justification Must be signed by College Associate Dean (Lynn Hepner) Paperwork submitted after the deadline with incomplete or missing justification will be recycled The “Final day for completing assistantship hiring” (Sept. 15) is the final deadline even for exceptions.
Departments allocate waivers in online Graduate Financial System by May 16 th. Departments initiate online Graduate Assistantship Agreement in Graduate Financial System. Form should be in the approval workflow by June 16 th. (see workflow slide for approval workflow) Departments complete GAA, ePAF, and all associated hiring paperwork by July 7 th. ePAF and hiring paperwork goes to Suzanne Lin and Cathy Radzai (CAH Personnel and Budget) via the normal ePAF workflow. HR ●Please complete assistantship paperwork early. Don’t wait until the last minute.
Ready for ePAF and hire paperwork Student Cathy Radzai (CAH Budget) Suzanne Lin (CAH Personnel) Lynn Hepner (CAH Academic) Trisha Farmer (CAH Academic) Chair (Department) DAL, if needed (Department) Originator (Department)
MUST contain the following attachments on the hire ePAF (in PDF) Graduate Assistantship Agreement (attach as HR_HIRE_empl. ID_Last name) Teaching Qualification form (9183 only, if applicable). Attach as HR_TQ_empl. ID_Last name Supplemental Form (if applicable). Attach as HR_SUPP_empl. ID_Last name Late Justification Form (if applicable). Attach as HR_LATEJUST_empl. ID_Last name Attach the following as: HR_HIRE_Empid_Name (Ex: HR_HIRE_1234567_Smith) Personal Data Sheet 3-in-1 Form Employee Acknowledgement Retirement Notification form Employment of Relatives Form (if applicable) I-9 completed by employee online at www.newi9.com (you must verify supporting documentation in person) Fax the following to HR Records (407) 823-3507 W-4 Direct Deposit Auth Form (w/voided check or official bank doc/ltr) Email from HR indicating the background check was submitted
MUST contain the following attachments on the rehire ePAF (in PDF) Graduate Assistantship Agreement (attach as HR_HIRE_empl. ID_Last name) Teaching Qualification form (9183 only, if applicable). Attach as HR_TQ_empl. ID_Last name Fill out only if the instructor is new, the assignment changes, or the teaching discipline changes. Supplemental Form (if applicable). Attach as HR_SUPP_empl. ID_Last name Late Justification Form (if applicable). Attach as HR_LATEJUST_empl. ID_Last name Employees who have been off payroll for over 1 semester to under 1 year will require rehire sign-in paperwork: Attach the following as: HR_HIRE_Empid_Name (Ex: HR_HIRE_1234567_Smith) Personal Data Sheet 3-in-1 Form Employee Acknowledgement Retirement Notification form Employment of Relatives Form (if applicable) I-9 completed by employee online at www.newi9.com (you must verify supporting documentation in person) Does not include summer since it’s considered one semester, not over one semester. If an employee is off of Payroll for less than 120 days, an ePAF and applicable graduate assistantship paperwork is only needed.
Used for students working over 20 hours per week but under 40 hours per week. Must be specially requested by the department May request for multiple semesters on one form; approval for future semesters contingent on review of academic performance NOT required for official school breaks NOT required in the summer semester
● Late documentation will be considered on a case-by-case basis only for extenuating circumstances. Valid reasons include: Appointments on grants and contracts receiving funding notification after these deadlines Appointments as GTAs for newly opened class sections International students arriving late due to unexpected visa delays (please alert ISC) Late resignation of a previous appointee ● Assistantship ePAFs submitted late for valid reasons must attach a letter explaining the nature of the justification. Please include the details of the justification. The letter must be signed by your College Associate Dean, approving the late justification. Please also attach some form of documentation for the justification (e.g. the notification of the award date of the grant). ● To be used between the “Last day to submit financial support documentation” (August 15 for domestic and August 29 for international students) and the “Last day to complete assistantship hiring” (Sept. 15, 2014) ● The “Last day to complete assistantship hiring” is the final deadline even for exceptions.
Additional compensation is expected Break periods include: December/January Spring Break April/May August How to handle? Clearly explain expectations for assistantship appointments to your students. Include additional funds to cover break times in multiple term contract. Another option is to write additional assistantship to cover break period. No Supplemental Assignment approval needed
● During the semester, you may have minor changes to the GAA which can be done without submitting through the workflow. These changes are: Change to student enrollment hours Change to Faculty Supervisor Updating job assignment (i.e. changing courses) ● Adjustments to BUDGET must go through the workflow. This includes stipend amounts and tuition payments regardless of the funding source. ● Changes to job codes require a new GAA form.
● Graduate Assistantship students are encouraged to tender a letter of resignation in they leave their position before the end of their assistantship contract. ● Grad Studies recommends you do an Exit Form for Graduate Assistants (found on Grad Studies website). ● Remind students that leaving appointments early generally means they will owe charges for graduate tuition waivers received.
● In some circumstances, a graduate assistant’s supervisor may find it necessary to terminate a graduate assistant before the end of the student’s appointment period. The reasons for a premature termination may include, but are not limited to: Academic misconduct Excessive absences Misconduct in assigned duties Breach of the UCF Golden Rule (code of conduct)
Except in cases of gross misconduct that require immediate termination, a supervisor must follow the procedure outlined below in order to end an appointment early. Verbal Warning: Multiple specific verbal warnings with steps to correct. Include written documentation, with dates, summarizing student’s response. Written Warning: When verbal warnings do not work, a written warning should be filled out with corrective measures and signed by student and supervisor. End Appointment: If problems persist, the supervisor can end the appointment.
● Regardless of resignation or termination, the following must be completed: Exit Checklist – When complete submit a copy to Suzanne Lin in CAH Dean’s Office Termination ePAF If student leaves in the middle of semester, please contact Suzanne to find the correct termination date. If student is graduating at the end of the semester, no termination ePAF required but the exit checklist is still required.
● Evaluation is a requirement of SACS. ● For Associates (9183), Assistants (9184), and Graders (9187). ● Forms should be sent directly to Grad Studies at the end of each semester. ● Spring 2014 GTA Assessments are due to Grad Studies on Monday, May 12
● Email with CAH Dean’s office PIDs associated with GTA Approval workflow ● www.admin.graduate.ucf.edu/formsnfiles: Forms can be found at this link beginning with “FIN ASST” or “FIN GTA” www.admin.graduate.ucf.edu/formsnfiles ● GradInfo: https://www.gradinfo.ucf.edu/https://www.gradinfo.ucf.edu/ ● CAH Graduate Informational Session will be held in August ● CAH Grad Curriculum Session will be held in August ● Spring 2014 GTA Assessments are due to Grad Studies on Monday, May 12 ● Summer 2014 CAH Academic Calendar will be sent out by email soon but please be aware that all Restricted Registrations and Override forms are due to me by May 8 at 3pm for Summer A, C, and D.