Presentation on theme: "1. How did 19th century warfare promote the growth of industrialism in the US? A. Created a need for new railroads B. Created a need for steel production."— Presentation transcript:
1. How did 19th century warfare promote the growth of industrialism in the US? A. Created a need for new railroads B. Created a need for steel production C. Created a need for coal production D. All of these E. None of these
2. The area labeled "a" is known as: A. SouthB. Northeast C. Midwest D. West
3. Which of these areas were major 19th century urban areas?
4. Which of these was NOT a reason for European immigrants to come to the US in the 19th century? A. Famine B. Political unrest in Europe C. Need to colonize US markets D. Religious freedom in America E. Jobs in US factories
5. The "Ain't I a Woman" speech was delivered by: A. Jane AddamsB. Sojourner Truth C. Susan B AnthonyD. Carrie Nation That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain't I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain't I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain't I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother's grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain't I a woman?
That baby's parents live in the rear tenement here. She is at least as clean as the steps we are now climbing. There are plenty of houses with half a hundred such in. The tenement is much like the one in front we just left, only fouler, closer, darker--we will not say more cheerless. The word is a mockery. A hundred thousand people lived in rear tenements in New York last year. 6. Who wrote this excerpt? A. Jacob RiisB. Upton Sinclair C. Theodore Roosevelt D. Jose Marti 7. This excerpt would have been used to describe America during what time period? A. Early 19th centuryB. Late 19th century C. Early 20th centuryD. Late 20th century
8. Who took this photo showing unsanitary conditions in New York City in the late 1800s? A. Upton SinclairB. Langston Hughes C. Jacob RiisD. Jane Addams
9. This woman led the fight to stop conditions like this, with the "Children's Crusade." She was called the "most dangerous woman in America" by Theodore Roosevelt. A. Jane AddamsB. Mary "Mother" Jones C. Carrie Chapman CattD. Susan B. Anthony
10. This painting could be used to show what American theme? A. The rise of industrializationB. The beginnings of urbanization C. Technological Revolution D. Manifest Destiny
11. Who won the Nobel Prize for starting the first settlement house in America, called Hull House? A. Jane AddamsB. Mother Jones C. Carrie NationD. Susan B Anthony 12. What was a settlement house? A. A place where immigrants could live temporarily, eat a meal, and even take English classes B. A place where injured child workers could live free of charge until recovered C. A place where female workers could stay while working in urban factories D. None of these.
13. On what issue did WEB Dubois, Marcus Garvey, and Booker T Washington all agree? A. African-Americans should be patient and allow discrimination to end over time B. African-Americans should not wait, but should force white America to accept them through any means available C. African-Americans should return to Africa. D. The need to gain equal rights was most important for African-Americans
14. -More democratic state governments -More efficient city governments -Rights for workers -More business regulation All of these reflect which movement? A. PopulistB. Granger C. ImperialistD. Progressive
15. Which factor contributed most to the collapse of the US economy in 1929? A. Decline in factory production B. Increases in crop prices C. Elimination of tariffs D. Unregulated growth of consumer credit 16. Which of these became a major US industry as a result of the Spanish American War? A. RubberB. Textiles C. LumberD. Coal
17. Which of these was an effect of Manifest Destiny? A. Imperialism B. The Mexican War C. Decline in farm prices D. Native Americans lost their land
18. What was the difference between the "old immigrants" of the early 1800s, and the "new immigrants" of the late 1800s? A. Old Immigrants came from western Europe, while new immigrants came from eastern Europe B. Old immigrants came from eastern Europe while new immigrants came from western Europe C. Many new immigrants spoke English and were easily assimilated, while old immigrants rarely spoke English and had an extremely hard time assimilating D. Many old immigrants spoke English and were easily assimilated, while new immigrants rarely spoke English and had an extremely hard time assimilating E. Both A and D F. Both B and C