Presentation on theme: "Students Please take out your notebook and open to page 19."— Presentation transcript:
Students Please take out your notebook and open to page 19
The Scientific Method
7 Steps of the Scientific Method 1.State the Problem 2.Research/ prior knowledge 3.Hypothesis 4.Experiment/ collect data 5.Analyze the Data 6.Conclusion 7.Retest
1. State the Problem A question/ problem that you want to solve EXAMPLE: Do plants need light to grow?
2. Research Collect information on your question Prior knowledge EXAMPLE: Prior Knowledge- Plants in your house, gardens, green houses, farms, meadows, etc.
3. Hypothesis educated guess Answer to your problem Based on prior knowledge and research “If/Then statement” EXAMPLE: If I give the plants light then they will grow. With out light, plants will wither and die.
4. Experiment Test the hypothesis Collect the data Must be measurable EXAMPLE: Set up different groups of plants and expose them to different amounts of light Measure the plants to see which ones grow the tallest
5. Analyze the Data Organize the data into: –A–A chart/ table –A–A graph –p–picture EXAMPLE: Graph showing that the plant that received the most light grew the tallest.
6. Conclusion Describe your results Accept or reject your hypothesis State why you accepted or rejected EXAMPLE: I accept my hypothesis because the plants that received the light grew the tallest while my plants that received no light died
7. Retest & Share Do several trials of your experiment: Share your results with other scientists
Medical Science Scientific MethodHigh Cholesterol State the ProblemPatient has high cholesterol Research/ Prior Knowledge Research information about cholesterol HypothesisCertain chemicals may dissolve cholesterol deposits ExperimentGive 100 patients these chemicals and 100 patients a placebo AnalyzeSame number of patients lowered their cholesterol as did the placebo patients ConclusionThese chemicals did not reduce cholesterol Retest/ ShareModify hypothesis/ retest/ publish results
Everyday Science Scientific MethodCar repair State the ProblemEngine won’t turn over Research/ Prior Knowledge Find reasons why engine won’t turn over HypothesisPredict that the battery is dead ExperimentReplace battery AnalyzeEngine now turns on ConclusionCars won’t work without a fully loaded battery Retest/ ShareTell other people
Everyday Science Scientific MethodHeart rate State the ProblemHeart beats at different speeds Research/ Prior Knowledge Find reasons why your heart rate would change HypothesisIf I _______ then _______ ExperimentTake resting heart rates, and heart rates after running. Analyze Conclusion Retest/ Share