Presentation on theme: "COMPETITIVE ALLIED HEALTH PROGRAMS APPLICATION PROCESS FOR FALL 2015 ADMISSION."— Presentation transcript:
COMPETITIVE ALLIED HEALTH PROGRAMS APPLICATION PROCESS FOR FALL 2015 ADMISSION
APPLICATION PROCESS OVERVIEW 1. View this Presentation – General Information 2. General Application for Admission to A-B Tech 3. Complete New Student Orientation and SmarterMeasure 4. College Transcripts, if applicable 5. Specific Program Documents, if applicable 6. Demonstrate College Readiness (English/Math) 7. FOCUS 2 – Career Assessments 8. Selection Form with Advisor 9. Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS ®) Version V 10. Notification Letters
1. GENERAL INFORMATION Thank you for joining us to learn more about the admission process for Competitive Allied Health programs for fall semester 2015. This brief presentation will help you prepare for admission to one of the programs listed to the right. Be sure to complete the brief assessment at the end before meeting with your advisor. ASSOCIATE DEGREE NURSING (A.D.N.) P.N. TO A.D.N. ADVANCED PLACEMENT (SUMMER 2015) DENTAL HYGIENE DENTAL ASSISTING MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY MEDICAL SONOGRAPHY RADIOGRAPHY SURGICAL TECHNOLOGY VETERINARY MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY
1. GENERAL INFORMATION Application Period For Fall 2015 Admission February 2 thru March 13, 2015 Please note – for A.D.N. Advanced Placement, admission is for summer 2015 All requirements must be met by the 5 PM deadline on March 13, 2015, in order to qualify to take the TEAS® Version V Applicants must meet with a Student Services advisor to apply
1. GENERAL INFORMATION All of the following must be completed by 5 PM on March 13 General Application for Admission New Student Orientation and SmarterMeasure Assessment FOCUS 2 Documentation of Program Specific Requirements Documentation of College Readiness in English and Math Completion of Selection Form with Advisor The following must be completed by 5 PM on March 25 Take or submit official scores for the TEAS ® Version V
1. GENERAL INFORMATION Citizenship Status and Admission to Competitive Programs Admission to competitive programs is open only to individuals with legal status or lawful presence. Some clinical sites may have additional immigration/citizenship requirements. Successful completion of clinical rotations is required for program completion. Non-citizens are encouraged to contact the appropriate licensing/certifying agency to determine if they are eligible for licensure/certification upon graduation – decisions regarding licensure/certification are solely the responsibility of the licensing/certifying agency. For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org@abtech.edu
1. GENERAL INFORMATION Criminal Backgrounds and Drug Use Criminal background checks and drug screenings are required by off campus clinical sites. These are conducted by an outside vendor at the student’s expense. Successful completion of clinical rotations is required for program completion. Some program licensing or certification bodies may require criminal background checks at the time of application for licensure. Be sure to review the criteria for your program of interest to determine what rules apply and whom to contact. A-B Tech advisors and faculty cannot provide answers to questions in this area as they are not the final deciding organization.
2. GENERAL APPLICATION TO A-B TECH All individuals interested in admission to a competitive program MUST Submit a general application for admission. Graduation from High School or completion of the GED or Adult High School is required. Students currently enrolled in High School must graduate and current GED students must finish no later than August 17, 2015. Already a current student? Check this step off your list! COLLEGE APPLICATION www.abtech.edu/apply
3. COMPLETE NSO AND SMARTER MEASURE New Student Orientation (NSO) and SmarterMeasure are offered in the classroom and online SmarterMeasure is an assessment of a student’s readiness for online classes and is included as part of the NSO. Already a current student? Check this step off your list! NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION http://www.abtech.edu/nso
4. COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS Students interested in receiving transfer credit for college level courses taken elsewhere must submit official transcripts Important points to remember College must be regionally accredited Grade earned must be a “C” or higher Course title and credit hours must be similar Transcript must be from college at which the course was taken Taken classes at A-B Tech? You don’t need to request an A-B Tech transcript WHAT IS OFFICIAL? Sent directly from institution to A-B Tech Sealed copy in official college envelope If hand-delivered, do NOT open the envelope SEND TRANSCRIPTS TO: A-B Tech Community College Records Office 340 Victoria Road Asheville, NC 28801
5. PROGRAM SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS A few programs have additional requirements that must be met by the March 13 deadline Associate Degree Nursing P.N. to A.D.N. Advanced Placement Option Dental Hygiene Medical Laboratory Technology Surgical Technology Veterinary Medical Technology Please review the next four slides for details
5. PROGRAM SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS Associate Degree Nursing (A.D.N.) NURSE AIDE I Current NA I certification documented on the North Carolina Nurse Aide Registry AND Documentation (transcript or completion certificate) of a North Carolina state approved NA I course OR Approved NA I Work Experience Exceptions Current NC NA II certification Current NC P.N. licensure NEW FOR FALL 2015 ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY REQUIREMENT – Successful completion of Anatomy and Physiology I and II (BIO 168 and BIO 169 or acceptable substitute) with a grade of a “C” or higher in each course prior to class start in August 2015. MINIMUM SCORE REQUIREMENT FOR THE TEAS VERSION V EXAM – Students will be required to score a minimum composite/total adjusted TEAS V score of 65.
5. Program Specific Requirements Practical Nursing (P.N.) to Associate Degree Nursing (A.D.N.) Advanced Placement Option NC PRACTICAL NURSING LICENSE Documentation of current, unrestricted North Carolina Practical Nursing license COURSE COMPLETION BIO 168, 169, and 175; ENG 111 and 114; PSY 150 and 241; one 3 credit hour humanities course. A grade of “C” or higher is required in each. NEW FOR FALL 2015 MINIMUM SCORE REQUIREMENT FOR THE TEAS VERSION V EXAM – Students are required to score a minimum composite/total adjusted TEAS V score of 65.
5. PROGRAM SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS Dental Hygiene CHEMISTRY Documentation (official high school or college transcript) showing completion of a chemistry course with a grade of “C” or higher prior to applying to the program. NEW FOR FALL 2015 ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY REQUIREMENT – Successful completion of Basic Anatomy and Physiology (BIO 163 or acceptable substitute) with a grade of a “C” or higher prior to class start in August 2015.
5. PROGRAM SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS Medical Laboratory Technology OR Veterinary Medical Technology CHEMISTRY Documentation (official high school or college transcript) showing completion of a chemistry course with a grade of “C” or higher before to applying to the program. Surgical Technology PROGRAM INFORMATION SESSION Schedule and attend Information Session with Program Director Robin Keith (email@example.com) or Clinical Coordinator Daniel Stokoe (firstname.lastname@example.org)email@example.com@abtech.edu Print Information Session Form prior to attending session: (http://tinyurl.com/kfukvkz)http://tinyurl.com/kfukvkz Submit completed Information Session Form to Student Services Advisor
6. DEMONSTRATE COLLEGE READINESS Individuals must document college readiness in both English and math Applicants must qualify for ENG 111 – Expository Writing Applicants must place above the College’s DMA 050 course Students who did not meet the requirement before February 2, 2015, are eligible to take the placement assessment once during the application period Requirements may be met in several ways COLLEGE READINESS OPTIONS Transfer credit for college level English and math Placement assessment scores Completion of required developmental courses
6. DEMONSTRATE COLLEGE READINESS ENGLISH READINESS (Students must meet one of the following) Successful completion of ENG 111 or transfer credit equivalent Successful completion of A-B Tech quarter courses (ENG 0102, 102, 150, or 153) Successful completion of DRE 098 or ENG 095 or RED 090 plus ENG 090/090A Placement Assessment Scores (5 years old or less) NC DAP Scores: Composite 151+ (available 2/1/15 – score subject to change) Accuplacer Scores: Reading Comprehension (80+) and Sentence Skills (86+) SAT: Writing (500+) and Critical Reading (500+) ACT: English (18+) and Reading (22+) COMPASS/ASSET scores – please speak with an advisor for details
6. DEMONSTRATE COLLEGE READINESS MATH READINESS (Students must meet one of the following) Successful completion of or transfer credit for MAT 115, 143, 161, 151, 152, or 171 higher Successful completion of A-B Tech quarter courses (MAT 096, 097, 101, 102, 150, or 151) Successful completion of DMA 050 or MAT 070 Placement/Assessment Scores (5 years old or less) NC DAP: Score of “7” on each module (010, 020, 030, 040, and 050) Accuplacer Scores: Arithmetic (55+) and Elementary Algebra (55+) SAT: Math (500+) or ACT: Math (22+) COMPASS/ASSET scores – please speak with an advisor for details
7. FOCUS 2 – CAREER ASSESSMENTS All applicants must complete the FOCUS 2 Career Assessment Available to all applicants who have submitted an online application for general admission and have completed NSO Complete the full assessment prior to meeting with an advisor FOCUS 2 may be accessed at http://tinyurl.com/mfjplprhttp://tinyurl.com/mfjplpr
8. SELECTION FORM WITH ADVISOR Students who meet all eligibility requirements will complete a Selection Form with a Student Services Advisor Students may select a 1 st and 2 nd choice program A 2 nd choice is not required Students will not be considered for a 2 nd choice program if selected for the 1 st choice program Choices may only be altered before the March 25 deadline Students will receive a “ticket” to take the TEAS V ® by the March 25 deadline Students will meet with a staff member in Admissions to finalize the Selection Form DIDN’T MEET THE REQUIREMENTS? Applicants have until March 13 at 5 PM to document any missing items Students not eligible for 2015 admission are encouraged to speak with an advisor about career alternatives
9. TEST OF ESSENTIAL ACADEMIC SKILLS Qualified applicants who complete the Selection Form and receive the “ticket” for TEAS® Version V must take the exam (or submit scores) no later than March 25. Students who have taken the TEAS ® Version V previously may opt to use their scores within the last five years. Only one set of scores is accepted during the application period. ONLY The TEAS ® Version V exam composite score will be used to rank applicants within their selected competitive Allied Health Program. TEAS ® Version V is only offered on specific dates and times – please plan ahead! 1 Schedule and pay for the TEAS ® Version V 2 Study and prepare for the TEAS ® Version V 3 Take the TEAS ® Version V on the date and time scheduled
10. NOTIFICATION LETTER NOTIFICATION LETTER – APRIL Status for 1 st and 2 nd choices. One of three options will be listed: Admitted Alternate List Not Admitted *Applicants will be ranked based on the TEAS ® Version V exam composite score only.*
FINAL STEPS Now that you have completed your competitive admissions overview Complete the assessment http://tinyurl.com/klqetsghttp://tinyurl.com/klqetsg Take the completed assessment to a Student Services advisor Services for true distance students (those who live outside Buncombe or a contiguous county) Complete the assessment E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Please use the Subject: Allied Health Applicationdistanceadvising@abtech.edu