Presentation on theme: "The Ten Commandments & The Eight Beatitudes Chapter 8"— Presentation transcript:
1The Ten Commandments & The Eight Beatitudes Chapter 8 Mr. GarciaReligion 10
21. In whom can the question about moral goodness be answered? The answer to the question about moral goodness and its connection to eternal life can be found only in God. (pg 138)2. What is essential to all morality?Essential to all morality is the recognition of God’s sovereignty over the moral order: “acknowledging the Lord as God is the very core, the heart of the Law” (VS, 11) (pg. 138)3. Where are the specific obligations that guide Christian life found?The specific obligation that guide the Christian life are enumerated in the Ten Commandments.
34. In what are Christian ethics rooted? Christians are rooted in the new condition of the baptized.5. What does Christian morality demand of the baptized?Christian morality demands of the baptized a life appropriate to a son of God.6. When did Moses receive the Ten Commandments?Moses received the Ten Commandments during the time of the exodus from Egypt, on the third new moon after the people of Israel and gone forth out of the land of Egypt.
47. List the Ten Commandments You shall have no other Gods before me.You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.Observe the Sabbath day to keep it holy.Honor your father and mother.You shall not kill.You shall not commit adulteryYou shall not steal.You shall not lie.You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife.You shall not covet your neighbor’s goods.8. With what was the destiny of Israel tied?The Israelites knew that their destiny was tied to the fulfillment of the precepts.9. Why did God give the Israelites a simplified code of conduct?God gave the Israelites a simplified code of conduct because at that time Israel was a primitive culture.
510. With what does the Decalogue’s ethical code of conduct correspond? It corresponds to the natural law.11. List the precepts of the Church.Keep holy the day of the Lord’s resurrection.Lead a sacramental life.Study Catholic teaching in preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation, to be confirmed, and then to continue to study and advance the cause of Christ.Observe the marriage laws of the Church, to give religious training to one’s children.Strengthen and support the Church.Do penance, including abstaining from meat and fasting from food on the appointed days.Join in the missionary spirit and apostolate of the Church.12. Where is the highest moral code found?The highest moral code can be found in the Beatitudes.
613. Why is “the beatitudes” an appropriate name for Jesus’ statement? The word beatitude come from Latin word meaning “blessed.” This is an appropriate name because those who practice the beatitudes will be blessed both on earth and in heaven.14. What do the Beatitudes reflect?The Beatitudes depict the countenance of Jesus Christ and portray his charity. They express the vocation of the faithful associated with the glory of his Passion and Resurrection.15. What is the specific concern of the Beatitudes?The Beatitudes are concerned more with basic attitudes and dispositions in life than with set rules for behavior.
716. List the eight Beatitudes. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.Blessed are those mourn, for theyBlessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earthBlessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.Blessed are the peacemaker, for they shall be called sons of God.Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Mt. 5:3-10)17. Give some example of how the Ten Commandments are enriched by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.Examples will vary.