Presentation on theme: "Sermon. Matthew 28:19 “Make disciples of all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe."— Presentation transcript:
Matthew 28:19 “Make disciples of all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and teaching them to observe all that I have commanded” Mark 16:15-16 "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved” Cf. Peter’s ministry: Acts 2:38 “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ” Cf. Phillip’s ministry: Acts 8:12 “when they believed… they were baptized” Cf. Paul’s ministry: Acts 18:8 “many of the Corinthians…were believing and being baptized” Why Baptize?
First act of obedience: Mt. 28:19, Acts 2:38, etc. New sign of relationship with God: Baptism instead of Circumcision Acts 15:5-6 “But some believers … said, ‘It is necessary to circumcise them!’” 1 Cor. 7:19 “Was anyone at the time of his call uncircumcised? Let him not seek circumcision. For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God.” One-time act: Ephesians 4:5 “there is one Lord, one faith, one baptism” “Baptism is the initiatory sign, and for that reason alone it should not be repeated. It is the sign of regeneration...” Geoffrey Bromiley, Sacramental Teaching and Practice in the Reformation Churches Why Baptize?
1. Galatians 3 “8. The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, ‘All the nations will be blessed in you.’ 9. So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer. 10) For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse… 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have been clothed with Christ. 28. There is neither Jew nor Greek… for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants, heirs according to promise.” Why Baptize?
1. Galatians 3 : Abraham’s faith-relationship with God (symbolized by circumcision) is the same as Christian’s faith-relationship with God symbolized by baptism (Gen. 15:6, Hab. 2:4) 2. Colossians 2:11-13 “in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith... When you were dead in… the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him…” Why Baptize?
3. Generational succession in all God’s covenants a) Noah (c. 2500 BC) - Gen. 9:9 “my covenant with you and with your descendants after you.” b) Abraham (c. 2000 BC) – Gen. 17:7 “my covenant between me and you and your descendants...” c) Moses (c.1200 BC) – Deut. 29:10-13 “all the men of Israel, your little ones and your wives … enter into covenant with the LORD your God d) David (c.1000 BC) - 2 Chr. 21:7 “…the covenant that He had made with David… promised to give a lamp to him and to his sons forever.” e) Peter (c. 30 AD) - Acts 2:38-39 “…be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as… God will call.” Why Baptize?
1. Galatians 3 : Continuity between Abraham’s faith-relationship with God and that of Christians symbolized by baptism 2. Colossians 2: O.T. circumcision used in the N.T. to symbolize regeneration, forgiveness of sins, and baptism 3. S ubsequent generations included in all God’s covenants 4. All God’s covenants are called “the eternal covenant” Why Baptize?
4. All God’s covenants are called “the eternal covenant” ברית עולם = διαθηκης αι ̓ ωνιου a) Noah - Gen 9:16 “eternal covenant” b) Abraham - Gen 17 “eternal covenant” c) Moses - Lev 24:8 “eternal covenant” d) David - 2 Samuel 23:5 “eternal covenant” e) Prophets - Isaiah 55:3 & 61:8-10, Ezekiel 37:24-28, f) Apostles - Heb. 13:20-21 “…God… brought from the dead our Lord Jesus… by the blood of the eternal covenant…” g) “New Covenant/Testament” = “renewed”, not brand-new. Why Baptize?
Salvation - Romans 4:12 “…follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised.” Absolutely necessary - Luke 23:43 “…today you shall be with Me in Paradise." Optional - Matthew 28:19-20 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name… teaching them to observe all that I commanded you." A ticket to heaven - Romans 9:6-13 “…they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel… JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED.” Acts 8:13-23 - Simon believed; and after being baptized, he continued on with Philip… But Peter said to him, "May your silver perish with you, be- cause you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money… your heart is not right with God” What is Baptism?
WITH WATER: “look there is water, what prevents me from being baptized?” (Acts 8:36) “Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized.” (Acts 10:47) INTO THE NAME: Matthew 28:19 “…baptizing them into the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” “I baptized you in water, but he shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit” – Mk 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:31-33, Acts 1:5, Acts 11:16) Acts 19:3-6 "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in … Jesus." 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus… Meaning of Baptism -0
Hebrews 9:13 For if the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, 14 how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Him- self without blemish to God, cleanse your con- science from dead works to serve the living God … 18 the first covenant was not inaugurated without blood… Moses … took the blood of the calves and the goats… and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, 20 saying, "This is the blood of the covenant God commanded."... 22 without shedding of blood there is no forgive- ness. Therefore it was necessary for the copies of the things in the heavens to be cleansed with these, but the heavenly things with better… Meaning of Baptism - 1 ATONEMENT FOR SIN
Hebrews 9:13ff if the blood of goats and bulls … sprinkling those who have been defiled sanctify for the cleansing of the flesh, how much more will the blood of Christ… cleanse your conscience… Isaiah 52:14-15 “behold my Servant… He shall sprinkle many nations…” Hebrews 12:24 “and to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling...” 1 Peter 1:2 “chosen according to the fore- knowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ” Meaning of Baptism - 1 ATONEMENT FOR SIN
Psalm 26:6 I shall wash my hands in innocence, And I will go about Your altar, O L ORD (cf. Lev. 14) Deut. 21:6-8 "All the elders of that city which is nearest to the slain man shall wash their hands… Job 9:30-31 "If I should … cleanse my hands with lye, Yet You would plunge me into the pit… Ezekiel 36:25 “I will sprinkle clean water upon you, and you shall be clean: from all your filthiness...” Hebrews 10:22 “draw near… in full faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience” Titus 3:4-7 “He saved us, through the washing of regeneration & renewing of the Holy Spirit, which He poured out on us richly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour… made righteous by His grace...” Rev. 1:5 “[Jesus] loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood” Meaning of Baptism - 2
Matt. 28:19 “baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” Acts 8:16 Samaritans “baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus” Acts 19:3 Ephesians baptized again “into the name of the Lord Jesus” 1 Cor. 10:2 says that all the Israelites “were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea.” Galatians 3:27 “For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have had Christ put upon you” Meaning of Baptism - 3
Romans 6:4 “We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.” Colossians 3:1-5 “you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. Meaning of Baptism - 4
1 Corinthians 12:13 “For by one Spirit were we all baptized into one body…” Association with a definite group of Christians Meaning of Baptism - 5
PRIESTS Exodus 29:21 "take some of the blood that is on the altar and some of the anointing oil, and sprinkle it on Aaron and on his garments and on his sons and … they shall be consecrated... Num. 8:6-7 "Take the Levites from among the sons of Israel and cleanse them… sprinkle purifying water on them, and let them shave… and wash their clothes, and they will be clean. 1 Peter 2:5-9 “You also, as living stones, are built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus” Meaning of Baptism - 6
KINGS 1 Samuel 10:1 Then Samuel took the flask of oil, poured it on his [Saul’s] head, kissed him and said, "Has not the L ORD anointed you a ruler over His inheritance? 2 Kings 9:3 "Then take the flask of oil and pour it on his [Jehu’s] head and say, 'Thus says the L ORD, "I have anointed you king over Israel."' Rev. 1:5-6 “To Him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in His own blood, and has made us kings and priests to God and His Father” I John 2:27 “the anointing you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true… abide in Him. Meaning of Baptism - 6
OLD TESTAMENT Proverbs 1:23 “I will pour out my Spirit upon you; I will make known my words unto you.” Isaiah 32:15 “until the Spirit be poured upon us from on high” Isaiah 44:3 “I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit on your seed, and my blessing upon your offspring.” Ezekiel 39:29 “I pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel, says the Lord Jehovah.” Zecheriah 12:10 “I will pour the Spirit of grace on the house of David and the residents of Jerusalem” Joel 2:28-29 “your sons & daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: and also upon the servants and upon the handmaids… will I pour out my Spirit.” Meaning of Baptism - 7
NEW TESTAMENT Acts 2:33 “having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He has poured forth this, which you see and hear.” Acts 10:45 “on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Titus 3:4-7 “He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, which he poured out upon us richly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour; that, being justified by His grace, we might be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” John 16:8 The Spirit “…will convict the world concerning sin, righteousness, and judgment” Meaning of Baptism - 7
1. Being redeemed by the death and blood of Jesus 2. Cleansing from the impurity of sin 3. Changing identity to be associated with the name of Jesus 4. Dying to the old life and forsaking it 5. Becoming a member of the church 6. Becoming a priest and king in Jesus’ kingdom 7. Being filled with the Holy Spirit
1. “You have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:20) 2. “Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1) 3. “Put on the Lord Jesus Christ” (Rom 13:14) – “We are ambassadors for Christ” (2Cor. 5:20) 4. “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” (Galatians 2:20) 5. “You have come to Mt. Zion and to the … church … So “do not forsake assembling together … but encourage one another…” (Heb.12:22-23; 10:25) APPLICATION
1. “glorify God in your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:20) 2. “bringing holiness to completion in fear of God.” 3. “We are ambassadors for Christ” (2 Cor. 5:20) 4. “it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me” 5. not “forsake assembling together … encourage 6. “I urge that entreaties & prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all”(1 Tim. 2:1 ) & exercise spiritual gifts: “if prophecy, ac- cording to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, w/ diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheer.” (Rom. 12:6-8) 7. Ask the Holy Spirit for conviction of sin, for wisdom, and for strength! APPLICATION