Presentation on theme: "SAINT FRANCIS UNIVERSITY COUNSELING CENTER David Wilson, Director Susan Obarsky, Counselor Barbara Barto, Administrative Assistant Located in Room 120,"— Presentation transcript:
SAINT FRANCIS UNIVERSITY COUNSELING CENTER David Wilson, Director Susan Obarsky, Counselor Barbara Barto, Administrative Assistant Located in Room 120, Saint Francis Hall 814-472-3211 1 LETTING GO
Individual, marital, group therapy Individual, marital, group therapy Educational programs Educational programs Crisis intervention & consultation Crisis intervention & consultation Services are free and unlimited Services are free and unlimited Located in 120 Saint Francis Hall Located in 120 Saint Francis Hall 2 Counseling Center
Faculty? Staff? Staff? Programs / Majors? Programs / Majors? Graduation Rates? Graduation Rates? Facilities? Facilities? 3 What Makes A Good University…
If there is a problem with son or daughter, a parent feels confident the issue can be resolved, and assistance is immediate and professional. 4 What Makes A Good University…
1. The first two weeks and last two weeks of semester 2. Semester exams (mid-term and final) 3. Mid-semester and holiday breaks 5 Most Difficult Times During Freshmen Year
RELIEF FEAR ANXIETY SADNESS LONELINESS PEACE 6 Feelings You May Experience
1. CHAOS New residence New friends N New schedule New language: RA, Professor, “Torvo” What do we know about chaos? 7 3 C’s of the Freshman Year
2. CONFLICT New friends vs. old friends Boyfriend / girlfriend separation Space issues with sharing close quarters 8 3 C’s of the Freshman Year
3. CRISIS Little things become BIG Everything becomes a CRISIS Panic – CALL HOME 9 3 C’s of the Freshman Year
NOT UNCOMMON! Is it a vague complaint of “I just don’t want to be here?” Is this the same reaction that others have at work, boot camp, high school? Is it “normal” to struggle with something new? 10 Homesickness
DEFINITION: Hovering so long their offspring never get a chance to grow up. 11 “Helicopter Parents” “BULLDOZER PARENTS”
… IF YOU WON’T GO AWAY?” U.CAL - DAVIS 12 “HOW CAN I MISS YOU…
R EASSURE R EASSURE R EINFORCE R EINFORCE R EFER R EFER 13 Three R’s of Freshmen Adjustment X RESCUE
1 15 HOURS OF CLASS 1 0 HOURS OF STUDY 5 HOURS OF WORK 30 HOURS / 105 HOURS PER WEEK WHAT’S MISSING? “BELLS” 14 Time Management
PARENTS, PLEASE TALK TO YOUR STUDENTS ABOUT S E X ! 15 S E X
1.2.3. 17 List three things your student will miss most about home this fall.
1.2.3. 18 List three adjustments you anticipate making this fall.
THE THREE THINGS YOU MISS MOST SINCE COMING TO COLLEGE? 19 Questions to SFU Freshmen
1. Parents 2. My friends 20 Answer 3. Sibling 4. Bedroom 5. Pet
1-2 TIMES PER WEEK 1-2 TIMES PER WEEK 3-4 TIMES PER WEEK 3-4 TIMES PER WEEK EVERY DAY & SEVERAL TIMES PER DAY EVERY DAY & SEVERAL TIMES PER DAY 5-6 TIMES PER WEEK 5-6 TIMES PER WEEK 21 How often did you communicate with your parents?
1. 1-2 TIMES PER WEEK 2.3-4 TIMES PER WEEK 3. SEVERAL TIMES PER DAY OR EVERY DAY 22 How often did you communicate with your parents?
1-2 TIMES PER WEEK 1-2 TIMES PER WEEK 3-4 TIMES PER WEEK 3-4 TIMES PER WEEK 5-6 TIMES PER WEEK 5-6 TIMES PER WEEK EVERY DAY EVERY DAY SEVERAL TIMES A DAY SEVERAL TIMES A DAY 23 How often do you recommend parents communicate with first-year students?
1.3-4 TIMES PER WEEK 2.1-2 TIMES PER WEEK 24 Answer
PHONE CALL TEXT FACEBOOK TWITTER 25 How did you communicate with parents?
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.