Presentation on theme: "Words for Production 1. sail [ sel ] vi. to travel by ship on the sea ( 人 ) 乘船 They sailed for three months before reaching America."— Presentation transcript:
Words for Production 1. sail [ sel ] vi. to travel by ship on the sea ( 人 ) 乘船 They sailed for three months before reaching America.
Words for Production 2. devastating [ `dEv1s&tetI9 ] adj. completely destructive 毀滅性的 Many people lost their houses and families in the devastating earthquake. 詞類變化 * devastating = destructive
devastate [ `dEv1s&tet ] vt. 摧毀 Floods devastated the village. Hundreds of houses were taken away and thousands of lives were lost.
Words for Production 3. fisherman [ `fIS2m1n ] n. [C] a person who catches fish for a living 漁夫 Those fishermen fell into the water last night while working at sea. They were found drowned early this morning.
Words for Production 4. native [ `netIv ] adj. associated with the place where one is born 出生地的 There are about 1.2 billion people whose native language is Chinese. * native language = mother tongue 母語
Words for Production 5. chief [ tSif ] n. [C] a leader of a tribe; a person of the highest rank 酋長；領袖 The president is chief of the armed forces. 詞類變化 *the armed forces : the Army, Navy, Air Force 一國之武裝部隊 ( 陸海空三軍 )
chief [ tSif ] adj. 首要的，主要的 Rice is the chief crop in China. Most of the Chinese people live on it. * live on 以 … 維生
Words for Production 6. tribe [ traIb ] n. [C] a group of people that have the same race, beliefs, or language (especially in a primitive culture) 部落 The mountain tribes are trying hard to preserve their culture.
Words for Production 7. poisonous [ `pOIzN1s ] adj. containing, or having the effects of a substance that can destroy the life or harm the health of a living animal or plant 有毒的 Some plants are poisonous. They will cause death if you eat them. 詞類變化
poison [ `pOIzN ] n. [U] 毒藥 vt. 使中毒 One man’s meat is another man’s poison. Rats may carry viruses so we decided to kill those rats by poisoning them. *One man’s meat is another man’s poison. (proverb)
Words for Production 8. heal [ hil ] vi. to (cause to) become healthy again 治 癒，治療 Jim’s wound is healing well; he will be released from hospital soon. * be released from hospital 出院
Words for Production 9. starvation [ stAr`veS1n ] n. [U] suffering or death caused by hunger 餓死，飢荒 In Africa, many people died of starvation in the past years. 詞類變化
starve [ stArv ] vt. 挨餓 Starving yourself to lose weight is not healthy. * lose weight 減重
Words for Production 10. governor [ `G^v2n2 ] n. [C] the chief official in charge of the affairs of a place 總督 U.S. President George W. Bush was once the governor of Texas. * in charge of 負責
Words for Production 11. proclaim [ pro`klem; pr1`kleIm ] vt. to announce officially and publicly 宣 告，公布 The French like to proclaim themselves a peace-loving people. * N- Ving 為併合形容詞
Words for Production 12. festival [ `fEst1vL ] n. [C] a day or period of celebration 節慶 Christmas is one of the festivals of the Christian church.
1. Pilgrims [ `pIlGrImz ] n. pl. the group of English Puritans who sailed to America to escape from England to make a new kind of society based on their religious beliefs 清教徒 Words for Recognition
2. Mayflower [ `me&fla52 ] n. the ship in which the Pilgrims sailed from England to the New World in 1620 五月花號 Words for Recognition
3. New England [ nju `I9Gl1nd ] n. an area in the northeastern United States 新英格蘭 Words for Recognition
4. warrior [ `wOrI2 ] n. [C] (of the Indians) a brave and experienced soldier or fighter 戰士， 勇士 Words for Recognition
5. Samoset [ s8`mOsEt ] n. the name of an Indian 印第安人名 Words for Recognition
6. Squanto [ `skwAnto ] n. the name of an Indian 印第安人名 Words for Recognition
1. come/go to one’s aid to try to help someone when he/she is in danger or difficulty 前來／去幫忙 When the old man fell, several passers-by came to his aid. Idioms and Phrases * come to one’s aid 前來協助 …
2. put away to save for later use 儲存 … 備用 To buy a car, my brother puts away some money each month. Idioms and Phrases