Words for Production 1. sail [ sel ] vi. to travel by ship on the sea ( 人 ) 乘船 They sailed for three months before reaching America.
Words for Production 2. devastating [ `dEv1s&tetI9 ] adj. completely destructive 毀滅性的 Many people lost their houses and families in the devastating earthquake. Would you like to know more...
devastate [ `dEv1s&tet ] vt. 摧毀 Floods devastated the village. Hundreds of houses were taken away and thousands of lives were lost.
Words for Production 3. fisherman [ `fIS2m1n ] n. [C] a person who catches fish for a living 漁夫 Those fishermen fell into the water last night while working at sea. They were found drowned early this morning.
Words for Production 4. native [ `netIv ] adj. associated with the place where one is born 出生地的 There are about 1.2 billion people whose native language is Chinese.
Words for Production 5. chief [ tSif ] n. [C] a leader of a tribe; a person of the highest rank 酋長；領袖 The president is chief of the armed forces. Would you like to know more...
chief [ tSif ] adj. 首要的，主要的 Rice is the chief crop in China. Most of the Chinese people live on it.
Words for Production 6. tribe [ traIb ] n. [C] a group of people that have the same race, beliefs, or language (especially in a primitive culture) 部落 The mountain tribes are trying hard to preserve their culture.
Words for Production 7. poisonous [ `pOIzN1s ] adj. containing, or having the effects of a substance that can destroy the life or harm the health of a living animal or plant 有毒的 Some plants are poisonous. They will cause death if you eat them. Would you like to know more...
poison [ `pOIzN ] n. [U] 毒藥 vt. 使中毒 One man’s meat is another man’s poison. Rats may carry viruses so we decided to kill those rats by poisoning them.
Words for Production 8. heal [ hil ] vi. to (cause to) become healthy again 治 癒，治療 Jim’s wound is healing well; he will be released from hospital soon.
Words for Production 9. starvation [ stAr`veS1n ] n. [U] suffering or death caused by hunger 餓死，飢荒 In Africa, many people died of starvation in the past years. Would you like to know more...
starve [ stArv ] vt. 挨餓 Starving yourself to lose weight is not healthy.
Words for Production 10. governor [ `G^v2n2 ] n. [C] the chief official in charge of the affairs of a place 總督 U.S. President George W. Bush was once the governor of Texas.
Words for Production 11. proclaim [ pro`klem; pr1`kleIm ] vt. to announce officially and publicly 宣告，公布 The French like to proclaim themselves a peace-loving people.
Words for Production 12. festival [ `fEst1vL ] n. [C] a day or period of celebration 節慶 Christmas is one of the festivals of the Christian church.
Words for Production 13. period [ `pIrI1d ] n. [C] a length of time with a beginning and an end 一段時間 There were long periods when we had no news of him. We missed him a lot.
Words for Production 14. drought [ dra5t ] n. [U] a long period of dry weather, when no rain falls 乾旱，旱災 Because all the crops died during the drought, many people died of starvation.
Words for Production 15. pray [ pre ] vi. to speak, often silently, to God, showing thanks or asking for help 祈禱 The baseball game is on Saturday, so we’re praying for a fine day. Would you like to know more...
prayer [ prEr ] n. [C] 祈禱 The mother’s prayers were answered when her son came home safe and sound.
Words for Production 16. annual [ `8nj51l ] adj. (happening) once every year 每年的 Our baseball games are an annual event. Would you like to know more...
annually [ `8nj51lI ] adv. 每年地 Our school holds an English speech contest annually.
Words for Production 17. president [ `prEz1d1nt ] n. [C] the person who has the highest political position in a modern state that does not have a king or queen 總統 The president announced that there would be a new tax increase next year.
Words for Production 18. bill [ bIl ] n. [C] a plan for a law, written down for the government to consider 議案 When a bill is passed, it becomes an act.
Words for Production 19. emerge [ I`m3dZ ] vi. to come into existence 出現 When the sun emerges from behind the clouds, the weather becomes warmer.
Words for Production 20. customer [ `k^st1m2 ] n. [C] a person who buys goods or services from a shop 顧客 The new shopping mall across the road has taken away most of their customers.
Words for Production 21. sponsor [ `spAns2 ] vt. (of a business) to pay for a show or sports event, usually in return for advertising 贊助 Several businesses sponsored the walk to raise money for AIDS care.
Words for Production 22. parade [ p1`red ] n. [C] a public procession which celebrates a special day or event 遊行 The Olympic Games begin with a parade of all the competing nations.
Words for Production 23. spectator [ `spEktet2; spEk`tet2 ] n. [C] a person who watches (a show or a game) 觀眾 The football game is an annual event. Every year, it draws over 50,000 spectators.
Words for Production 24. evolve [ I`vAlv ] vi. to develop gradually 逐漸發展，演進 The situation has evolved into a more complicated problem. They are still trying to figure out how to deal with it.
Words for Production 25. televised [ `tEl1&vaIzd ] adj. broadcast by television 用電視播出的 Last night, I stayed up late watching a televised concert by my favorite singer.
Words for Production 26. legal [ `liGL ] adj. allowed or made by law; lawful 法定 的，合法的 July 4th is a legal holiday in the U.S., so people do not have to work on that day.
Words for Production 27. merely [ `mIrlI ] adv. only; simply 只是，僅僅 Don’t get mad at her. She is merely a child. Would you like to know more...
mere [ mIr ] adj. 只不過，僅僅的 Mere words are no use. It is time for action.
1. Pilgrims [ `pIlGrImz ] n. pl. the group of English Puritans who sailed to America to escape from England to make a new kind of society based on their religious beliefs 清教徒 Words for Recognition
2. Mayflower [ `me&fla52 ] n. the ship in which the Pilgrims sailed from England to the New World in 1620 五月花號 Words for Recognition
3. New England [ nju `I9Gl1nd ] n. an area in the northeastern United States 新英格蘭 Words for Recognition
4. warrior [ `wOrI2 ] n. [C] (of the Indians) a brave and experienced soldier or fighter 戰士， 勇士 Words for Recognition
5. Samoset [ s8`mOsEt ] n. the name of an Indian 印第安人名 Words for Recognition
6. Squanto [ `skwAnto ] n. the name of an Indian 印第安人名 Words for Recognition
7. Franklin Roosevelt [ `fr89kl1n `roz1&vElt ] n. the 32nd president of the U.S. (1882- 1945) 羅斯福 Words for Recognition
8. Macy’s [ `mesIz ] n. one of the most famous department stores in New York 梅西百貨 Words for Recognition
9. lavish [ `l8vIS ] adj. grand 豪華的，壯麗的 Words for Recognition
10. National Football League [ `n8S1nL `f5t&bOl liG ] n. (the ~) the organization, which has been in operation as a professional football league in the U.S. since 1920 美式足 球聯盟 Words for Recognition
1. come/go to one’s aid to try to help someone when he/she is in danger or difficulty 前來／去幫忙 When the old man fell, several passers-by came to his aid. Idioms and Phrases
2. put away to save for later use 儲存 … 備用 To buy a car, my brother puts away some money each month. Idioms and Phrases
3. in keeping with in agreement with 與 … 一致 His words are always in keeping with his actions so we all trust him. Idioms and Phrases
4. cater to to try to satisfy (a need or demand) 迎 合 This magazine caters to people’s love of new and fashionable things. Idioms and Phrases
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.