Presentation on theme: "International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program The Five Essential Elements."— Presentation transcript:
International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program The Five Essential Elements
1) KNOWLEDGE PYP is a concept-driven, inquiry-based learning framework for children ages Six transdisciplinary themes of global significance help organize the program. -Who We Are -How We Express Ourselves -How We Organize Ourselves -Where We are in Place and Time -How Organize Ourselves -How the World Works -Sharing the Planet
2) CONCEPTS Students explore concepts through structured inquiry in order to develop coherent, in-depth understanding, and to discover relevance both within and beyond subject areas. Students explore the key concepts of Form Function Causation Change Connection Perspective Responsibility Reflection
3) Approaches to Learning Students in the PYP develop life skills that transcend the school day. The PYP has grouped the transdisciplinary skills into five main groups: social skills, research skills, thinking skills, communication skills and self-management skills.
4) ATTITUDES Through the PYP Attitudes and the IB Learner Profile students develop dispositions, values, beliefs and feelings towards learning which lead to international mindedness.
5) ACTION Student action is initiated by the student as an extension of an Inquiry. This action may have a social impact on both in and outside the school community.