2Cuckoos (not build) nests. They (use) the nests of other birds. 2. You can’t see Tom now: he (have) a bath.3. He usually (drink) coffee but today he (drink) tea.4. What she (do) in the evenings? – She usually (play) cards or (watch) TV.5. I won’t go out now as it (rain) and I (not have) an umbrella.6. The last train (leave) the station at 11:30.7. He usually (speak) so quickly that I (not understand) him.8. Ann (make) a dress for herself at the moment. She (make) all her ownclothes.9. Hardly anyone (wear) a hat nowadays.10. I’m afraid I’ve broken one of your coffee cups. – Don’t worry.I (not like) that set anyway.
311. I (wear) my sunglasses today because the sun is very strong. 12. Tom can’t have the newspaper now because his aunt (read) it.13. I’m busy at the moment. I (redecorate) the sitting room.14. The kettle (boil) now. Shall I make the tea?15. You (enjoy) yourself or would you like to leave now?16. I (enjoy) myself very much. I (want) to stay to the end.17. Why you (put) on your coat? – I (go) for a walk. You (come) with me?18. Mary usually (learn) languages very quickly, but she (not seem) able tolearn modern Greek.19. You (like) this necklace? I (give) it to my daughter for her birthdaytomorrow.20. Tom and Mr Pitt (have) a long conversation. I (wonder) what they(talk) about.
5Are you American?2. Have you got a car?3. Do you feel OK?4. Is it snowing?5. Are you hungry?6. Do you like classical music?7. Will you be in Paris tomorrow?8. Have you ever broken your arm?9. Did you buy anything yesterday?10. Were you asleep at 3:00 a.m.?
611. Did you enjoy the film?12. Are you leaving now?13. Have you seen my keys?14. Will you be still be here tomorrow?15. Am I making myself clear?16. Is this exercise too difficult?17. Do you have a pet?18. Is it nice to gossip about people?19. Does it hurt when you hit your toe?20. Will someone help you with your homework?
8a little / a few1. Have you got any money? Yes, I have got ________.2. Have you got many envelopes? No, I’ve got just ________.3. Does your friend speak English? Yes, he speaks ________.4. Do you want sugar in your coffee? Yes, I would like ________.5. We are going away for ________ days.very little / very few1. Your English is very good. You make ______________.2. I drink ______________. I don’t like it.3. Hurry up. We’ve got _______________.4. I am sad and lonely. I’ve got _______________.5. I’m afraid I won’t be able to buy that, I’ve got _________________.
9much / many1. Do you drink _______ coffee?2. I stay at home most of the time. I don’t go out ________.3. I’ve seen _______ films with Brad Pitt.4. How _________ photos did you take?5. Do you eat ________ chocolate?Say it in a different way!1. Please, pass me some water!2. I would love some coffee.3. They’ve got some nice furniture in that house.4. Do take some bread!5. Take some paper and write down your duties.
11Put the verbs in the following sentences into the Simple Past: 1. I go to work by bus.2. I meet her on Tuesdays.3. He always wears black.4. I make cakes every week.5. She gets up at 6:30.6. He understands me.7. He shuts the shop at 7:00 p.m.8. She speaks slowly.9. He leaves the house early in the morning.10. I read a chapter every night.
1211. You eat too much.12. I see him every day.13. Tom sings in the choir.14. He cries when he is hurt.15. Who knows the answer?16. I think I know it.17. He often feels ill.18. I usually pay him 5£.19. His dog always bites me.20. I lie down after lunch.
13Choose between the Simple Past and Past Continuous: 1. He (sit) on the bank fishing when he (see) a man’s hat floating down theriver. It (seem) strangely familiar.2. When I (reach) the street, I (realize) that I (not know) the number ofTom’s house. I (wonder) what to do when Tom himself (tap) me on theshoulder.3. I (look) through the classroom window. The geometry class (go) on.The teacher (draw) diagrams on the blackboard.4. Most of the boys (listen) to the teacher, but a few (whisper) to each otherand Tom (read) a history book. Tom (hate) mathematics; he always(read) history during his mathematics lessons.5. Everyone (read) quietly when the door (burst) open and a completestranger (rush) in.
146. I (pick) up the receiver and (dial) a number 6. I (pick) up the receiver and (dial) a number. To my surprise I (find)myself listening to an extraordinary conversation. Two man (plan)to kidnap the Prime Minister.7. A traffic warden just (stick) a parking ticket to my windscreen when I(come) back to the car. I (try) to persuade him to tear it up, but he(refuse).8. I (go) to Jack’s house, but (not find) him in. His mother (say) that she(not know) what he (do), but (think) that he probably (play) football.9. My dog (attack) the postman as he (put) the letters into the letter boxand (tore) a large envelop. Unfortunately, it (contain) my diploma.10. As it (rain), the children (play) in the sitting room. Tom (try) to writea letter, but it (be) difficult because the children (keep) asking himquestions.
15“lay” by itself:1. My friend claims that his ambition is to ________ in bed as much of each day as possible.2. Yesterday, he ________ in bed for nearly 20 hours.3. By Wednesday, he had ________ in bed for more than 60 hours this week.4. He was ________ in bed when I called this afternoon.5. Do you think he is lying about how much time he ________ in bed?6. I wonder if he is ________ in bed as long as he claims.7. How could someone ________ in bed that long and not grow weak?8. He told me his cat ________ on the foot of his bed.9. He tries to remain ________ in bed as long as the cat is there.10. Yesterday, he told me that he had ________ in bed an hour longer than his cat.
16The difference between “lay” and “lie” (Present Tense) 1. Before going to bed each night, he ________ his shoes beside the bed.2. The dog likes to lie on the rug. The cat likes to ________ on the couch.3. I like to ________ on the couch, except for the cat hairs.4. Please ________ the book on the table.5. Each night I ________ my book on the bed.6. Then I ________ down on the bed.7. Every afternoon, he ________ down for a nap.8. ________ here while I get a blanket to cover you.9. Please ________ the cat on the couch.10. Look how sweetly the cat ________ on the couch.11. The sheriff in the movie ordered the men to ________ down their guns.
17On the Beach (lie and lay) Every day, I ________ on the beach.I ________ my homework on the sand next to me.I let the books ________ there.I ________ my head on the biggest book.I ________ there and try not to think of school.I ________ seashells on my textbooks.Sometimes I ________ on my stomach.Sometimes I ________ my arm over my eyes to shield them from the sun.I ________ on the beach all day.
18Put the verbs in the following sentences into the Simple Present Perfect: 1. Where you (be)? I (be) to the dentist.2. (Have) you any breakfast? Yes, I ______.3. The post (come)? Yes, it ______.4. He just (go) out.5. Charles (pass) his exam? Yes, he ______.6. How many bottles the milkman (leave)?7. You (not make) a mistake? No, I ______.8. I (live) here for ten years.9. I (buy) a new carpet for my room.10. I (read) this book. – You also (see) the film?
19Give two answers to each question: one in Simple Past and one in Present Perfect!11. Have you ever eaten snails?12. Has she fed the dog?13. Have you made the coffee?14. Have you seen him lately?15. Has he spoken to her?16. Has your dog ever bitten anyone?17. Have you ever drunk tequila?18. Have you paid him?19. Have you done your homework?20. Has he gone away yet?
20Choose between the Simple Past and the Present Perfect: 1. I (cut) my hand rather badly. Have you got a bandage? – I’ll get you one.How it (happen)? – I was chopping some wood and the axe (slip).2. The plumber (be) here yet? – Yes, but he only (stay) for an hour. – Whathe (do) in that time? – He (turn) off the water and (empty) the tank.3. Mary (feed) the cat? – Yes, she (feed) him before lunch. – What she (give)him? – She (give) him some fish.4. He (serve) in the First World War. – When that war (begin)? – It (begin) in1914 and (last) for two years.5. I (lose) my black gloves. You (see) them anywhere? I (wear) them at thetheatre last night.
21Fill in the spaces by using FOR or SINCE: 1. We’ve been fishing _______ two hours.2. I’ve been working in this office _______ a month.3. They’ve been living in France _______ 1970.4. He has been in prison _______ a year.5. That man has been standing there _______ six o’clock.6. Nobody has seen him _______ last week.7. We’ve been waiting _______ half an hour.8. We’ve had no gas _______ the strike began.9. I’ve been awake _______ three o’clock.10. I’ve been awake _______ three hours.
22The Ferret1. I watched my pet ferret climb onto my bed and ____ on the pillow.2. She ____ there for about five minutes, licking herself all over.3. After she had ____ there a while, she curled up and went to sleep.4. While she was ____ there asleep, I carefully picked her up.5. I carried the sleeping ferret to the chair and ____ her on the cushion.6. While I was ____ the ferret on the cushion, she gave a little sigh and almost woke up.7. After I had ____ her on the cushion, she rolled over and curled up again, without waking.8. After she had ____ on the cushion another ten minutes, she woke up suddenly.9. She then ran at full speed to my desk, snatched my pencil, jumped onto the bed, and ____ it on the pillow.10. She then ____ on the pillow, on top of the pencil, and happily chewed the eraser off.11. Later that night, when the ferret was asleep in her cage, I ____ down in my bed.12. While I was ____ there, drifting toward sleep, I could smell pencil eraser and the faint, musky odour of ferret.
23Choose between Simple Past and Present Perfect: 1. ______ you _____________ the party? Oh yes, it was wonderful.2. _____ you ___________ what I was saying? No, I wasn't _____________.3. _____ your dad ever __________ a dance class?4. Harry says these computers ____________ in Taiwan.5. It ___________ raining, so we can leave our umbrellas at home.6. This stupid dog __________ me! It really hurts!7. I _______ never _______ such a strange cake! _______ you?8. I ___________ last night because I had drunk too much coffee.9. I still ___________ the book you gave me.10. The traffic _____________ so much noise that I _________ anything.
24A: (you / play / already) the new computer game? B: No, not yet. I only (buy) it yesterday and I (have / not) the time yet.A: (you / go) to the cinema last night?B: Yes. I (be) there with Sue and Louis. (you / be) to the cinema recently?A: I last (go) to the cinema two weeks ago.B: So you (see / not) the new action film yet.A: No, unfortunately not. (you / enjoy) it?B: Oh, I really (love) it. But Sue (like / not) it - too much action!A: But why (you / take) her with you? She (tell) me last week that she (hate)action films.B: I think she has an eye on Louis. She (try) to flirt with him all the time.So he (can / concentrate / not) on the film.
251. I (just / finish) my homework. 2. Mary (already / write) five letters.3. Tom (move) to this town in 1994.4. My friend (be) in Canada two years ago.5. I (not / be) to Canada so far.6. But I (already / travel) to London a couple of times.7. Last week, Mary and Paul (go) to the cinema.8. I can't take any pictures because I (not / buy) a new film yet.9. (they / spend) their holiday in New Zealand last summer?10. (you / ever / see) a whale?
261. When I (do) the washing-up, I (break) a plate. 2. While Tom (play) the piano, his mother (do) the washing-up.3. He (drink) some juice and then he (eat) a few chips.4. I (have) dinner when I suddenly (hear) a loud bang.5. When my father (work) in the garden, an old friend (pass) by to see him.6. She (go) to school, (take) out her textbook and (begin) to learn.7. When it (start) to rain, our dog (want) to come inside.8. When Jane (do) a language course in Ireland, she (visit) Blarney Castle.9. When I (be) on my way home, I (see) an accident.10. I (not / understand) what they (talk) about.
271. When I (get) up yesterday, the sun (shine). 2. It (is) a beautiful morning.3. So I (decide) to cycle around a little.4. I (go) to the shed and (take) out my bike.5. While I (cycle) past some villages, I (see) some people in their gardens.6. One man (mow) the grass while his wife (pick) strawberries.7. After one hour of cycling in sunshine, a big fat raincloud suddenly (appear)and it (start) to rain.8. Luckily, a farmer (notice) me and (tell) me to come in.9. While it (rain) outside, I (sit) in the farmer's house.10. After a while, the sun (come) out again.11. I (thank) the farmer for his hospitality and (move) on.
28MUCH / MANY 1. She has so ________ friends! 2. Too ________ cooks spoil the broth.3. Hurry up. I don't have so ________ time.4. We went to a dairy yesterday. I had never seen so ________ cows before.5. It's also quite amazing how ________ milk these cows produce every day.6. You have too ________ money. Won't you share it with me?7. There are so ________ poor people in the world.8. There are too ________ children in the house.9. My father doesn't drink ________ coffee.10. How ________ of you have ever been to London?