Presentation on theme: "Ch. 17 Section 4 “The War to end all Wars”. Vocabulary ► Communism – an economic system in which the government owns all property and businesses ► Armistice."— Presentation transcript:
Vocabulary ► Communism – an economic system in which the government owns all property and businesses ► Armistice – an agreement to stop fighting ► The Big Four – France, Great Britain, Italy and the United States after WWI
1) A revolution in _____________ put __________ and _____________ in danger 2) ___________ fought Germany on the ________________ Front 3) The __________ (tsar) led Russia but lost power, so the people revolted RUSSIA FRANCEBRITAIN (ENGLAND) RUSSIA EASTERN CZAR
4) In ____________, the __________________ took over after the revolution began. Czar _____________ and his family were murdered. Shortly thereafter, the communists and the ________________ signed a peace treaty ___________________ agreed to drop out of the war. 5) German ________________ made traveling across the ____________ very dangerous. NOV. 1917COMMUNISTS NICHOLAS II GERMANS RUSSIA SUBMARINES (U-BOATS) ATLANTIC
Bones of executed Russians WERE last Tsar's youngest children Last updated at 18:40pm on 28th September 2007 Russian scientists said that it was "highly likely" that bones found this summer were those of the two missing children of Tsar Nicholas II. Anthropological and dental checks "certainly did not contradict" the theory that they belonged to Tsarevich Alexei, the heir to the Russian throne, and his sister Maria, said Vladimir Gromov, deputy head of forensic medicine in the region where the remains were found. The firing squad killed the Tsar and his wife first, according to Yurovksy. Alexei remained sitting his chair, terrified. The assassins shot him but failed to kill him. Then they tried bayonets. "Nothing seemed to work," wrote Yurovksy. This was because the tsarevich had gems hidden under his shirt. When he was finally killed, attempts were made to burn his body on a bonfire. The remains found in August were charred. Speaking on NTV, dental specialist Yevgeny Tuchik said the fillings in the teeth of the skulls were also silver -- the same as those found in the other royal jaw bones.
6) The US Navy traveled in _____________ to protect merchant ships with ____________. 7) In June of ________, the first American troops went to fight in __________. 8) In 1918, the Germans planned to attack __________________ and came within _____ miles of doing so. CONVOYS WARSHIPS 1917 FRANCE PARIS, FRANCE 50
9) Two important battles for the Americans: ________________ in 1917 – the U.S. fought through the _______________ with German machine guns firing on them. _____________ Americans were killed or wounded but the US still took the forest. BELLEAU WOOD FOREST 8,000
____________________________ in 1918 – Site of the “________________________” Fought against Germany on the ______________ Front 9/26/1918 - ______________________ attacked and ________________ were killed, but the U.S. hung on to take the forest. ________________________________ helped a “lost” battalion keep a stronghold on the forest surrounded by thousands of Germans The battle lasted ______ days until the U.S. pushed through. ARGONNE FOREST LOST BATTALION WESTERN 1 MILLION + TROOPS 100,000 + MAJOR CHARLES WHITTLESEY 47
10) By November 1918, the ___________________ began to retreat. Other ________________________ nations started to drop out of the war. On November _____, 1918, an _____________________ was signed – an agreement to end the war was reached. More than ____________________ troops had died More than ____________________ troops were wounded GERMANS CENTRAL POWERS 11 ARMISTICE 8.5 MILLION 21 MILLION
11) The U.S. provided the ____________________ needed by the Allies. 12) _________ million civilians and soldiers died. Much of northern ___________ was destroyed as well as much of Europe. ________________________ were starving. 1918-1919 – a _______________________ killed more than _______ million people. EXTRA FORCES 13 FRANCE MILLIONS OF GERMANS FLU EPIDEMIC 20
13) Wilson wanted WWI to be the “_________________________________” His plan – ____________________________ His plan included a _____________________ where countries could meet to solve differences without fighting. The “_____________” meet at ______________________, France – The U.S., France, Italy and Great Britain WAR TO END ALL WARS THE FOURTEEN POINTS LEAGUE OF NATIONS BIG FOUR VERSAILLES
14) The European leaders wanted to __________________ Germany, which Wilson did not want to do. The treaty was signed on ________________________. Germany was forced to accept the __________________for the war. This was known as the “__________________” clause. PUNISH JUNE 28, 1919 BLAME WAR-GUILT
Germany had to pay ____________________ in damages for the war. The treaty did create the League of Nations but the U.S. __________ did not sign the treaty They thought the treaty would drag the U.S. into __________________. BILLIONS OF DOLLARS SENATE ANOTHER WAR
Your consent to our cookies if you continue to use this website.