Presentation on theme: "Galatians the freedom letter. Gal 4:21) Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22) For it is written that Abraham had two."— Presentation transcript:
Gal 4:21) Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22) For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23) But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise,
Let’s tackle these three verses; “You who desire to be under the Law”, who are these? 9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. (pto-khos') adj. 1. a beggar, a pauper 2. (figuratively) distressed 3. (literally, as a noun) strictly denoting absolute or public dependency on charity
11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain. 12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. It is definitely the church For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. Let’s look at the history here…
Abraham Isaac Ishmael Hagar Sarah Free woman Bond woman
The story of Ishmael and Isaac Gen 15:2 But Abram said, “Lord GOD, what will You give me, seeing I go childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?” 3 Then Abram said, “Look, You have given me no offspring; indeed one born in my house is my heir!” 4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, “This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir.”
Gen 16 1) Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. And she had an Egyptian maidservant whose name was Hagar. 2) So Sarai said to Abram, “See now, the LORD has restrained me from bearing children. Please, go in to my maid; perhaps I shall obtain children by her.” And Abram heeded the voice of Sarai.
3) Then Sarai, Abram’s wife, took Hagar her maid, the Egyptian, and gave her to her husband Abram to be his wife… 4) So he went in to Hagar, and she conceived… Enter Ishmael
What does God say about these two boys? Gen 17:16 “And I will bless her (Sarah)and also give you a son by her; then I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples shall be from her.” 17 Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed, and said in his heart, “Shall a child be born to a man who is one hundred years old? And shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?” 18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh, that Ishmael might live before You!”
19) Then God said: “No, Sarah your wife shall bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his descendants after him. Enter Isaac
Two children Two covenants Two people groups Two ways to come to God? Only one is of the promise Only one way to come to God is right. Both cannot exist together, they are at odds with each other, one must be cast out!!!
2 children Gen 21:8) So the child grew and was weaned. And Abraham made a great feast on the same day that Isaac was weaned. 9) And Sarah saw the son of Hagar the Egyptian, whom she had borne to Abraham, scoffing. 10) Therefore she said to Abraham, “Cast out this bondwoman and her son; for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, namely with Isaac.”
2 covenants 2 Corinthians 3:6) who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 2 people groups On May 14 th 1948 Israel declared itself a sovereign nation again. On May 15 th 1948 the Arabs attacked.
They have had major wars in 1956,1967,1973 not to mention constant upheavals in that region between Arabs and Israelis. Israel has won every one. 2 ways to come to God Rom 9:30) What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith;
31) but Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness. 32) Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumbling stone. 33) As it is written: “Behold, I lay in Zion a stumbling stone and rock of offense, And whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.”
9) So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham. 10) For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11) But that no one is justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.”
12) Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.” 13) Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”),
Abraham Isaac, child of the promise that only God brings to pass Ishmael, child of effort or the best that man can achieve
Abraham Isaac represents the new covenant Ishmael represents the old covenant
24) which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar– 26) but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 28) Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
29) But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. 30) Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” 31) So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.
Lastly for today, what else do we know about this false gospel? 1. It’s about being under the flesh or being under a covenant where you try to do what only God can do! 4:23 2. It’s about persecuting those who say, “where sin abounds grace super abounds”. 4:29 3. It’s about your system being cast out. 4:30
4. It’s about not being an heir 4:31 There is nothing new under the sun Ishmael –Isaac The religious leaders-Jesus Judaizers- Paul Legalists- us The flesh is always at odds with the Spirit. Where are you? Questions/comments?