343. Call witnesses for defense 4. Face accusers5. No excessive bail/fines or cruel & unusual punishment.
356. Free elections7. No taxation without representation
36(6). Declaration of Independence The majority of it was written by Thomas Jefferson
37It argued that the British government did not look after the interests of the colonists. It listed many abuses by the king.
381) It said the purpose of the government is to protect the people 1) It said the purpose of the government is to protect the people. Government is based on consent of the people.
392) People are entitle to overthrow the government if it disregards their rights.
403) His writing was influenced by John Locke, 17th century English Philosopher
41a. Government is based on a social contract between the people and the rulers. b. People agree to give up some of their freedom and abide by the decisions of the government.
42c. In return, the government promises to protect the lives, property and liberty of the people. d. If the government misuses its power, the people should rebel.
43Established idea that all people are equal under the law. Stated that people have unalienable rights (Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness).
44Proclaimed the 13 colonies free from British control.
45Declaration of Independence approved on July 4, 1776.
46Question: What are some ideas that the authors of the Declaration of Independence adopted from the writing of John Locke?
47The Declaration included Locke’s ideas that : Government is based on the consent of the peopleThe purpose of government is to protect the rights of the peopleIf it doesn’t fulfill this purpose the people have the right to overthrow it
48It also included Locke’s idea that all people should equally enjoy the rights of life, liberty and property.