I Preparation II Reading Activities III Further Development IV Translation & Writing
Part I Preparation 1. Word Association 2. Reading a poem
Activity 1 Word Association Directions: Work in groups. Try to think of as many expressions as possible that are related to time, such as “Time flies”, “Have a good time”. Then write them on the blackboard. The group who gets the most wins.
Activity 1 Word Association at the same time, arrange one’s time, afford the time, all the time, at times ( 有时 ), before/ahead of one’s time, behind the time ( 落后 ), for the time being ( 暂时 ), from time to time ( 有时， 偶尔 ), gain time, hard times, have a good time, have no time for, in no time ( 立刻 ), in time, in one’s spare/free time, keep up/march with times ( 跟上潮流 ), kill time, lose time, make up the time, on time, race against time ( 争取时间 ), run out of time, spare time, take one’s time ( 不慌不忙 ), take time off ( 请假 ), time and again, time clock, time-consuming, time-saving, time limit, timepiece, time zone, the concept of time, time-urgent ( 紧 迫的 ), value time, waste time, work against time ( 争取时间工作 )
Activity 1 Word Association Time flies. Time is money. Time is up. Time and tide wait for no man. Time is the best healer. Time tames the strongest grief. Lost time is never found again. Time tries all. Time heals most troubles. Time works wonders. Time will show. Time does not bow to you, you must bow to time. What may be done at any time will be done at no time. 时间飞逝；光阴似箭。 时间就是金钱。 时间到了。 岁月不等人。 时间是最好的医生。 时间可以冲淡最强烈的悲伤。 已逝岁月不可返。 时间检验一切。 时间治愈一切。 时间创造奇迹。 时间会证明一切。 时间对人不屈就，人对时间 须低头。 因循蹉跎，一事无成。
Directions: work in pairs. Read and discuss the following poem about “time”. Try to answer the questions below. What are your impressions of the poem? Can you cite some examples in support of or against what is mentioned in the poem? Activity 2 Reading a poem
Time is too slow for those who wait, Too swift for those who fear, Too long for those who grieve, Too short for those who rejoice, But for those who love, Time is eternity. Activity 2 Reading a poem
It is a very beautiful poem. It shows how time changes depending on our point of view or our emotions. This is a poem in rhythm. The more you read this rhymed verse, the more you’ll like it. Pay attention to the verbs like “wait”, “fear”, “grieve”, “rejoice” and “love”. Different attitudes towards time lead to different length of time. Activity 2 Reading a poem
Part II Reading Activities 1. Pre-reading Questions 2. Text Organization 3. Sentence Study 4. Words & Phrases
1.What’s a biological clock? Do you think there’s one in you? If so, give evidence. Pre-reading Questions The biological clock is the time system in plants and animals that controls behavior such as sleeping and eating. I think there is a biological clock in me because I often hear it tick. For example, I wake up at 6:30 almost every morning although I go to bed at different times. I always have my meals at the same time each day, otherwise I will feel very hungry and can’t wait to eat.
2. Have you ever thought of the relationship between time and health? Can you tell in what way they are related? Pre-reading Questions Time may be related to health. Those who make good use of time are generally less stressed than those who don't know how to manage their time in an efficient way. And hose who work too hard and therefore don’t leave themselves enough time to rest are most likely to suffer from illnesses.
Text Organization A common problem: time sickness Simple techniques to change and master one’s own time. The mind can alter rhythm of time in many ways and culture perceive time diffrently. General synchronisation and desynchronisation How to Take Your Time Para.1-4 Para.5-6 Para.7-8 Para.9-14
1. They remind me that my life is not ruled by clocks, that I can choose the time I live by. (Line 2) Sentence Study 【解析】 live by: 按 …… 的原则过活，按 照 …… 的规律生活 【例句】 He lives by a strict moral code. I have always tried to live by the principles which my parents taught me.
2. How a person thinks about time can kill him, according to Dossey, a pioneer in the emerging science of chronobiology, the study of how time interacts with life. (Line 4) Sentence Study 【译文】多希博士研究时间生物学，是这门新兴学科的开拓者。该 学科研究的是时间与生活是如何相互影响的。 【例句】 这两种化学物质在一定的气温条件下相互作用，产生出一种会引起 爆炸的物质。 These two chemicals interact with each other at a certain temperature to produce a substance which could cause an explosion.
3. They were all time addicts, taught since childhood to schedule their lives by society’s clock, and all felt lost without the security of a timepiece. (Line 17) Sentence Study 【译文】他们从孩提时代起就受到这样的教育： 要按社会的时钟安排自己的生活。一旦没有了 计时器所给予的安全感，他们就会茫然若失。 addict: 成性的人，上瘾的人 a drug addict a baseball addict
4. …isolated from external time cues of light, temperature and humidity, their own complex internal timekeeping rhythms became desynchronized; then they resynchronized in unison. (Line 28) Sentence Study de- == down from deplane 下飞机 dethrone 使离王位 derail 使 ( 火车 ) 脱轨 de- == 向下、降低、减少 depress 压低，压下 depopulation 人口减少 devalue 贬值 de- == 使成..., 作成..., 或仅作加强意义 delimit 划定界限 denude 使裸露 depicture 描绘，描述 de- == not denationalize 非国有化 demilitarize 使非军事化 demobilize 复员 de- == 除去、取消、毁 desalt 除去盐份 deforest 砍伐森林 decontrol 取消管 制
5. … but culture differs in how they perceive time. (Line 42) Sentence Study perceive. 察觉 ; 感知 [+that] I perceived a man enter the house. 我看到一个人走进这间房子。 I can't perceive any difference between these coins. 我看不出这些硬币有什么差别。 ceive: take, hold, seize, 表示 “ 拿，抓，握住 ” conceive 想象；构想 conceivable 可想象的 deceive 欺骗 perceive: 知觉；发觉 receive: 收到
6. When our natural inner rhythms are out of synchronization with clock time, stress results. (Line 49) Sentence Study 【解析】 be out of: 超出，与 ······ 不符 result (vi.): appear or come as a result 【译 文】当我们体内的自然节奏与时钟时间之间的同 步关系被打乱时，紧张感便会随之而生。
Words & Phrases 1. addict n. 上瘾的人 【记忆】 addict vt. 使沉溺；使吸毒成瘾 addiction n. 沉溺，吸毒成瘾 addictive adj. 使成瘾的，上瘾的 【常用搭配】 be addicted to… 沉溺于 ······ ；喜欢 【例句】 1. He is addicted to smoking. 他嗜好吸烟。 2. We have been addicted to rock music for a long time. 我们喜欢摇滚乐好久了。 cf: workaholic
Words & Phrases 2. industrialize vt. （使）工业化 【记忆】 industry n. 工业 industrial adj. 工业的 industrialization n. 工业化 industrialist n. 实业家
Words & Phrases 3. outgoing 【 adj. 外向的 【记忆】 out （附在动词、名词、分词或形容词前，构成动 词、名词、形容词，表示出、向外、在外、远）＋ going ＝外向的，向外的。 outspread v. 伸开，伸展 outspoken adj. 坦率的，毫无保留的 outbuilding n. 外屋 outlying adj. 远离中心的 outpost n. 边远地区，前哨
Words & Phrases 5. stove 1. 火炉, 暖炉 2. ( 做菜用的 ) 小炉子, 炉灶 oven: n. 烤炉, 烤箱 It is like an oven in here; please open the window. 这里热得象火炉，请把窗户 打开。
1. Talking about Punctuality 2. Sense of Time Part III Further Development
Directions: Discuss the following problem in groups and write down your suggestions. Talking about Punctuality We now have a lot of devices to remind us of time, such as the clock, the watch, the computer and the cell phone. Still, some of us have the habit of being late for an appointment or class. Have you any suggestions for those who are always late?
Suggestions: It’s advisable to always assume that an important appointment is five or ten minuets earlier than it actually is to void being late for it. It’s advisable to find someone such a roommate to remind them of the appointment or class so that they won’t forget the time. If they find it difficult to get up in the morning, especially during wintertime, an alarm clock is a good choice. If you’re an organizer of a meeting or an activity, always inform habitually late people of an earlier time than those who are punctual. Talking about Punctuality
Directions: Now work in pairs to list more animals to support the idea that animals have a sense of time. Sense of Time ---- A rooster crow at dawn. ---- a wild goose knows when to migrate to the south. ---- Deer know when the mating season comes. ---- Bears know when to prepare for their winter hibernation.
1. Translation Skills 2. Writing Practice Part IV Translation & Writing
Directions: For this part, you are allowed 30 minutes to write a speech script entitled How to Manage Your Time in College. You should write at least 120 words according to the situation given below: Situation: Suppose you are a senior. You are invited to deliver a speech to freshmen on time management. Writing Practice
How to Manage Your Time in College Hello everyone, First of all, I’d like to congratulate you on passing the competitive national university entrance exams and becoming a college student at this prestigious （声望很高的） university. Since there are so many differences between high school and college, every freshman has to learn how to make good use of time in college years. As a senior, I sincerely hope you value your time and have a rewarding educational experience. Writing Practice
Here are some tips from me and other upper-class students. Firstly, get a memo-book and mark all the important dates, events, deadlines on your calendar, and check from time to time. Secondly, you need to balance time spent on academic work and time spent on spare-time activities. Humorously put, every college student is a full-time worker, and one has to work hard to meet all the academic requirements. On the other hand, college years are an essential stage for you to turn into citizens and adults, so you are encouraged to squeeze time to participate in some social activities as well. Thirdly, a freshman has to be an efficient time-planner, working out both short-term plans and long-term plans. Last but not least, if you find your dorm flat is full of chatter boxes and you can hardly concentrate at study time, simply go to library, reading rooms, or self-study classrooms to make efficient use of limited time. Writing Practice