Presentation on theme: "Agenda: October 12th Day 4 Bell Ringer: SSR Quiz"— Presentation transcript:
1Agenda: October 12th Day 4 Bell Ringer: SSR Quiz What is the difference between a protagonist and an antagonist?What is the difference between a static and dynamic character?Name one difference you noticed between the movie and story “Lamb to the Slaughter”.SSRQuizWork on vocab chart (guess with context clues, definition, synonym, antonym)Finish “Lamb to the Slaughter” movie
2Agenda: October 12th Day 4 pd. 9/10 Bell Ringer: Identify the following lines as direct or indirect characterization.There was a slow smiling air about her, and about everything she did.“Darling, shall I get your slippers?”She laid aside her sewing, stood up, and went forward to kiss her husband as soon as he came in.SSRQuizWork on vocab chart (guess with context clues, definition, synonym, antonym)Finish “Lamb to the Slaughter” movie
3Agenda: October 13th Day 5Bell Ringer: Choose TWO of the vocabulary practice questions to answer.SSRGo over vocabularyTypes of Conflict and examples
14Rejuvenated Definition: to feel fresh, young, or new again Synonym: energize, renew, restore, freshenAntonyms: harm, hurt, injure
15Types of ConflictReview with your partner: What is the definition of a conflict?
16External ConflictWhat is it? Someone or something is keeping the protagonist from being happyThree Types:1. Character vs. Character ex: Rikki Tikki-Tavi2. Character vs. Nature ex: Hatchet3. Character vs. Society ex: Hunger Games
17Internal ConflictWhat is it? A character is struggling with his or her own mixed feelings or emotionsThe conflict is inside the character’s headOne Type:Character vs. Self ex: “If I Stay”
18Agenda: October 14th Day 6 Bell Ringer SSR Conflict Examples “Amigo Brothers”IntroductionQuick WriteRead, answer questions, discuss
19Bell Ringer: Identify the conflict as Internal or External Bell Ringer: Identify the conflict as Internal or External. Then the type (character vs…..)1. Sarah couldn't decide what to do that night. Should she study or should she go out? 2. Carly struggled to walk through the hot, blowing sand. 3. Jim and Mac disagreed about where they should take the dog they found. 4. All the way home, Jeffrey felt angry with himself. "Why couldn't he open his mouth at a party? Why was he always so shy?"
20Agenda: October 14th Day 6 Pd. 9/10 Bell Ringer (next slide)SSRConflict Examples“Lather and Nothing Else”IntroductionQuick WriteRead with partner
21Bell Ringer: Identify the conflict as Internal or External Bell Ringer: Identify the conflict as Internal or External. Then the type (character vs…..)1. Sarah couldn't decide what to do that night. Should she study or should she go out? 2. Carly struggled to walk through the hot, blowing sand. 3. Jim and Mac disagreed about where they should take the dog they found. 4. All the way home, Jeffrey felt angry with himself. "Why couldn't he open his mouth at a party? Why was he always so shy?"
221. What’s the conflict?You and your younger sibling argue over who should get to play the next song on Guitar Hero.
232. What’s the conflict?Carissa’s friend invites her to their parent’s beach house for the weekend. She knows it would be a blast and all her best friends will be there, but she’s failing science and really needs to work on her project that’s due Monday.
243. What’s the conflict?When the pilot on Brian’s plane has a heart attack, the plane crashes and Brian must learn to exist in the wilderness.
254. What’s the conflict?Batman: The Joker threatens to kill innocent people until Batman turns himself in. Batman must decide whether to reveal his true identity as Bruce Wayne or to continue his existence as Batman.
265. What’s the conflict?Ally and Noah are two teenagers in love. They want to continue dating when Ally goes away to school, but Ally’s mother thinks Noah is too poor for her and hides the letters Noah writes Ally. Heartbroken, Ally thinks Noah never wrote her.
276. What’s the conflict?The Notebook- Ally is forced to choose between her first love Noah, and her fiancé Lon. She loves them both, but can’t decide who is her true soul mate.
287. What’s the conflict?An ancient struggle re-erupts on Earth between two extraterrestrial clans, the heroic Autobots and the evil Decepticons, with a clue to the ultimate power held by a young teenager.
298. What’s the conflict?Your best friend tells you that lately she has been skipping meals to loose weight and makes you swear not to tell anyone. You don’t want to betray your friends trust, but you know she needs to get help.
309. What’s the conflict?Mumble has a terrible singing voice, and later discovers he has no heart song. Mumble’s parents realize that without a Heartsong, he may never find love. Mumble’s talent for tapdancing makes him too different for the penguin world and Noah the Elder casts him out of the community.
33Amigo Brothers by Piri Thomas Golden Gloves BoxingWhat do you know about boxing? Rules? Moves?Amigo Brothers by Piri Thomas
34“Amigo Brothers” Quick Write What qualities do you look for in a friend? What is the nicest thing a friend has ever done for you? What is the nicest thing you have done for a friend?If you play sports, describe your proudest moment on the court, field, rink, ect.
35“Lather and Nothing Else” Quick Write If you worked in a service profession, such as a barber, a salesperson, or a waiter or waitress, and discovered you were serving an enemy, how might you behave? What choices would you make?If you had an opportunity to have dinner with an important person in history, dead or alive, who would it be? Why? What would you two talk about?
36Pd. 3: Conflict Scavenger Hunt Find an example of each type of conflict (5) in a book. You may use your own SSR books, or look through my shelf to find your examples.
37Agenda: October 19th Day 1Bell Ringer: In groups of 4, match the types of conflicts with their examples (6 minutes).Put personal conflict writing on your desk (Thursday’s HW)SSRReturn QuizzesOption to share personal conflict examplesFinish “Amigo Brothers”, pausing to answer questionsComplete “Amigo Brothers” multiple choice questions with a partnerStart homework: writing response
38Agenda: October 19th Day 1 Pd. 9/10 Bell Ringer: Determine if your conflict cards are internal or external conflict. Then label them as character vs. Write your answers in your bell ringer sections.Put personal conflict writing on your desk (Thursday’s HW)SSRReturn quizzesOption to share personal conflict examples“Lather and Nothing Else” Speed Dating Questions2 minutes to answer question (first partner)1 minute to discuss, add any new info (second partner)Class Discussion of “Lather and Nothing Else”Start HW: conflict and character examples
39Agenda: October 20th Day 2 Bell Ringer SSR Go over “Amigo Brothers” multiple choice questionsIdentify types of conflict in “Amigo Brothers” with partnerQuiz review