Presentation on theme: "Kinds of Sport Football, Volleyball, Chess, Tennis, Basketball, Hockey, Snowboarding, Surfing, Bungee jumping, Skiing, Skating, Cycling, Swimming, Diving."— Presentation transcript:
Kinds of Sport Football, Volleyball, Chess, Tennis, Basketball, Hockey, Snowboarding, Surfing, Bungee jumping, Skiing, Skating, Cycling, Swimming, Diving.
Read. Translate. Fill in the table. A gold medal, swimming, a track, speed skating, gymnastics, an athlete, cycling, hockey, bronze, a participant, triple jump, a winner, a field, judo, a team, bobsleigh, a basketball player, weightlifting, gloves, synchronized swimming, ice hockey, referee, silver, flag. People Winter Olympics Summer Olympics Award & Equipment
1-st round Olympics Knowledge
1.The Olympic Games have a very long history. They began in 777 ВС in Greece and took place every four years for nearly twelve centuries at Olympia. The Olympic games originate in athletic contests to honor of Zeus. Only men competed. When were the first Olympic held at the foot of Mount Olympus to honor the Greek chief God Zeus? A: in 885 BC C: in 774 BC B: in 777 BC D: in 653 BC
2.The ancient Greek Olympics were held every four years during the full moon of midsummer. That date was chosen so the games could last into the night. The time between games was called an Olympiad, and each Olympiad was named for an athletic victor at the previous contests. What is Olympiad? 1. The name of sport. 2. The period of time. 3. The full moon of midsummer.
The first Olympic Games were held in… Olympia Athens Rome 3.Where were the first Olympic Games held?
4. For the period of the Games all the wars stopped. So the Olympic Games became the symbol of peace and friendship. In 394 AD the Games were abolished and were not renewed until many centuries later. A Roman Emperor banned the Olympic Games in …. 389AD 394 AD 451AD
5. In 1894 French Baron Pierre de Coubertin pointed out the significance of sport and its educational value. Two years later the first modern Olympic Games took place. Of course, the competitions were held in Greece to symbolize the continuation of the centuries-old tradition. When and where were the Olympic Games renewed? A: in 1719, in Rome B: in 1890, in London C: in 1896, in Athens D: in 1918, in Paris
6. For these first Olympics, winners were awarded a crown of olive branch and a silver medal, athletes finishing in the second place were awarded bronze medals, those finishing in the third place did not receive any reward. An Olympic athlete finishing in the first place is awarded…. a gold medal a crown of olive branch a silver medal
7. In 1896 the International Olympic Committee was set up. It is the central policy- making body of the Olympic movement. It is formed by the representatives of all countries, which take part in the Olympic Games. What is the central policy-making body of the Olympic movement?
London 2008 Beijing 2004 Athens 2000 Sydney 1996 Atlanta 1992 Barcelona 1988 Seoul 1984 Los Angeles 1980 Moscow Where and what did Olympic Games take place in our country and when?
9.The Olympic Creed says the most important thing is… to take part to win to watch the Games on TV.
2-nd round Olympics Vocabulary
1.The Olympic Games are … (put, made, held) every four years.
2.The IOC is the International Olympics (Competition, Committee, Contest).
3.The Winter Olympics will take (place, over, up) in Sochi.
4.Medals are presented in the awards (parades, ceremonies, celebrations).
5.The events are watched by thousands of (sponsors, referees, spectators).
6.The Olympics are often called a celebration of the human (spirit, being, ideal).
7.Which of the following sports is played in the Olympics? A: tennis B: rowing C: taekwondo D: all of the above
8.Skating is a sport that is played in the Olympics. What kind of skating is played? A: figure skating B: speed skating C: short track D: all of the above
9.Olympic wrestling is a test of skill and strength between how many competitors? A: 1 B: 2 C: 3 D: 5
10.True or False? Men can only compete in table tennis. A: True B: False
11.Which has more sports? A: Summer Olympics B: Winter Olympics
12.Boxing is an Olympic sport. What is the name of the enclosure where boxing takes place? A: ring B: field C: court D: none of the above
13.What equipment is needed to play handball? A: ball B: stick C: sword D: net
3-rd round What sports are they ?
1. This game is played on a court with a large orange ball. There are five players in each team. Two teams try to score goals by throwing a ball through a next fixed to a metal ring at each end of court. The players bounce the ball while running, and pass it to each other. The team with the most points wins.
2.It is a game, played between two teams of eleven players. Players kick a ball around a field trying to score a goal. The team with the most points wins. This game is very popular in our country and all over the world.
3.It is a game of two players. Each of them starts with sixteen different playing pieces to move on a board. The aim is to move your pieces so that your opponent’s king will be taken.
4.It is a game between two teams and is played on a field with a bat and a small white ball. Each team consists of nine players. The teams take turns playing in the field and batting the ball. The game has nine innings.
Sports in MSTU
What kinds of sport are there? Fblotaol, yhokce, vlelyoblla, abtkelbsl, ckikobxign, tspors aocarbtisc
News Sports (Magnitogorsk University) 1.Football team is at the top of Magnitogorsk Mini-Football League. 2.Hockey team is on the second place in Federation of the Amateur Hockey League. 3.Volleyball team takes part in Russia Volleyball Championship (season ). 4.Basketball team performs well in the International Student Basketball League.
Good sides of sport and bad sides of sport Sport is good because It makes me strong and fast It helps me to keep fit It builds character It teachers me to win and to lose It’s very good for my heart We enjoy it Sport helps people to stay in good shape, helps to support health and prevents from illness. Sport is bad because It’s not very useful. It takes a lot of energy and time. We have no time to walk with friends It needs to work very hard. We can break legs and arms.