1.Opening Setting is night time Pretty Salam’s home in Africa Describe it 1a. Opening Introduce main Characters Mum and Salma - Looks - Personality - Feelings 3. Problem Suddenly... Dog asks to help Salma Dog adds stones 2. Build up Mum asks Pretty to go to Granny who is ill Mum has shopping list Pretty practices with Basket Pretty goes to Market and buys everything Sets off for Granny 6. Resolution -Luck? -Skill? – boil water for him to fall in -Magic? 7. Ending What happens to the main character(s)? Dog lost tail How do main characters feel now? Dog felt angry with himself What does main character learn from what has happened? Pretty learnt to go to market & Grannys by herself, to not let strangers follow her Pretty Salma By Year 1 4-5. Problem gets worse… and even worse Dog... Tried to get into Granny’s house
1. Opening Once upon a time there was a girl called Pretty Salma and she lived with her Mum in Africa. Mum wanted her to go to the market to get healthy food and medicine for her Granny to make her feel better. She had a bad tummy and head ache.
1a. Opening So Pretty had to practice balancing a basket on her head. First she held it with two hands, then she took one hand off the basket. Next, she took both hands off and she set off to the Market, feeling like an expert!
2. Build Up She had a shopping list and money. There were lots of stalls at the Market and Pretty went to some of the stalls to get the things she needed. Lastly, she went to the Doctor to buy the medicine and set off for Granny’s house.
3. Problem Suddenly, Dog came along and said, “Hello little girl, that basket looks very heavy. Shall I help you carry it?” “No thank you,” Pretty replied. Then Dog put a heavy stone under some fruit and Pretty didn’t realise that he had done it.
3a. Problem Pretty carried on walking and came to a bridge over a river. There, she bumped into Dog for the second time. “Hello again, little girl, that basket looks very heavy. Shall I help you carry it?” “No thank you,” Pretty replied again. Then Dog put another heavy stone under some fruit and Pretty still didn’t realise that he had done it. But he had!
4. Problem Gets Worse Pretty carried on walking and came to Granny’s house. There, she bumped into Dog for the third time. “Hello again, little girl, that basket looks very heavy. Shall I help you carry it into Granny’s house?” “No thank you,” Pretty replied again.
4a. Problem Gets Worse Then Dog said “Please let me come into the house, I just want to help.” But Pretty looked in her basket and found all the heavy stones. She was so shocked that she picked up one and threw it at Dog and knocked him out. Then Pretty went in to see Granny.
4b. Problem Gets Even Worse Dog woke up angry. He had a big bump on his head. He went up to the door and bashed the door with his paw. “Let me in now!”
5. Problem Gets Even Worse Pretty did not. So Dog got a ladder from the shed in the garden and climbed up to the roof. He wobbled across until he reached the chimney and hugged it. Dog looked down and thought he would climb down and gobble up Granny and Pretty.
6. Resolution But Pretty Salma used her brain and fetched a boiling pot of water and put it in the fireplace.
6a. Resolution When Dog came down he fell into the hot water and shot straight out of the chimney and he ran all the way to the river and jumped in! “Ouch, my tail has burnt off!”
7. Ending Dog was angry with himself but Pretty felt happy and proud because she had made him go away and never come back again. And she was also pleased that the medicine had made Granny better. Pretty Salma was a super hero who knew never to let strangers follow her.