Presentation on theme: "Castle Gardens www.laganvalleylearning.co.uk. The Lisburn Coat of Arms Do you know what all the elements of the Coat of Arms represent? What is Lisburn’s."— Presentation transcript:
Castle Gardens www.laganvalleylearning.co.uk
The Lisburn Coat of Arms Do you know what all the elements of the Coat of Arms represent? What is Lisburn’s motto? Why?
The original castle belonged to a clan named the O’Neill’s. King James I gave it to Sir Fulke Conway in 1611. The church on the site is now known as Lisburn Cathedral Sir Fulke died in an accidental fire at his home in March 1624. Succeeded by his elder brother, Sir Edward Conway who died 1630. Succeeded by son, also called Edward. Lisburn Castle
Lisnagarvey was burnt by a fire during the Great Rebellion of 1641 but the the castle remained unharmed. It was then that the name of Lisnagarvey began to change to that of ‘Lisburn’. In 1707, a great fire halted the growth of Lisburn. Once again it was reduced to ashes, this time even the great castle fell to the flames. The castle was never rebuilt, but its gardens remained to become the property of the people of Lisburn in the 19 th century. Fire !
Wallace House Sir Richard Wallace (1880- 1890) was Landlord of Lisburn. This was originally Sir Wallace’s house Costing £20,000 to build. It was given to the town in 1914 & is now the technical college.. War memorial Unveiled in 1923 to commemorate the people from Lisburn who died in the First World War. Names of people who died in World War 2 were added later. The bronze statue of ‘Victory’ is by Henry C. Fehr. Things to see
Lord Robert’s Oak Named after under General John Nicholson in India in the late 1800’s, Lord Robert came to Lisburn in 1903 to view Nicholson’s memorial in Lisburn Cathedral. Air Raid Shelter Used as shelter from bomb debris during the World Wars. It was never used, as Lisburn was never bombed.
Crimean Cannon A trophy of the Crimean War (1856-56), the Russian cannon was captured at the Battle of Sebastopol. Admiral Meynel presented it to the people of Lisburn in 1858. Egret Fountain This decorative metal sculpture depicts 3 egrets. An egret is a small heron.
Wallace Memorial In 1870 Sir Richard Wallace became the landlord of Lisburn. After his death in 1890, Lady Wallace’s heir, Sir John Murray Scott, gave Castle Gardens to the people of Lisburn on behalf of Sir Wallace. Wallace Drinking Fountains Sir Richard Wallace commissioned these fountains to be made in Paris. They were made by Charles-Auguste Lebourge. The four caryatids represent kindness, charity, sobriety and simplicity.
The East Gateway The Castle Gate was the former entrance to the 17th Century Conway Castle. Musket Loops Castle Gardens is the original site of Lisburn Castle. The manor house was built in the early 1600’s and surrounded by castle walls as defensive fortification.
The Perron This grand double staircase leads from the centre of a bowling green above down to the first terrace of the walled garden. What could the main vault have been used for? Garden Terraces The 17 th century terrace garden was used for recreation by residents and guests of the castle. It also had an orchard and a pond stocked with fish.
The Gazebo This may have been a summerhouse for guests or residents. A basement room survives below ground containing an oven, fireplace and tiled floor. The Turret This semi-circular lookout tower was probably used as a garden structure and for defences. Only one turret survived, but there may have been more.