Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Special Education Needs Information Report This document provides information regarding what help there is for children and young people with Special Educational.

Similar presentations

Presentation on theme: "Special Education Needs Information Report This document provides information regarding what help there is for children and young people with Special Educational."— Presentation transcript:

1 Special Education Needs Information Report This document provides information regarding what help there is for children and young people with Special Educational Needs or who have a disability and how to access that support. Parents/Carers Questions and Answers updated January 2015

2 Inclusion Manager: Responsible for: Coordinating all the support for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND policy to make sure all children receive a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school. Ensuring that parents are involved in supporting their child’s learning, are kept informed about the support their child is getting and are involved reviewing how their children are doing. Liaising with all the other people who may come into school to support the learning of children with SEND, e.g. Educational Psychologists, Speech and Language Therapists, etc. Ensuring that excellent records are kept of the progress and needs of children with SEND. Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help all children to achieve the best possible progress in school regardless of their needs and abilities. Arranging and chairing annual review meetings. 1. Who are the best people to talk to at Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School about my child’s difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disability?

3 Welfare assistant: Mrs Sharon Paget Responsible for: Administering some medication prescribed by doctors. Please ask for the school’s policy on the administration of medicines. Preparing Health Care Plans for children with diagnosed medical conditions and working with parents to make sure that these are kept current. Giving medical assistance to pupils who need it All class teachers Responsible for: Checking on the progress of all children and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help children may need (for example, targeted work, additional support) and making the Inclusion Manager aware of any concerns. Ensuring that all staff working with children in their class are supported to deliver the planned work for that child, and are aware of the expected outcomes so that they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help, and specially planned work and resources. Alongside the Inclusion Manager, regularly reviewing the progress towards their expected outcomes of children with SEND in their class. Updating parents on the additional support that is being given to their child. Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed for all children that they teach, including quality first teaching.

4 The Head Teacher: Mrs Heidi Johnson Paul Responsible for: The day to day management of all aspects of the school, which includes the support for children with special needs. Overseeing the Inclusion Manager and class teachers’ work ensuring that the needs of all children are being met. Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND. SEND Governor: Clare Gregg Responsible for: Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND including appropriate management and use of the SEND budget allocation.

5 Outlined below are the different types of support that are offered to children with SEND. Quality First Teaching For your child, this means: The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class; this may involve things like using more practical learning. All children at Hampton Wick Infants should be getting quality first teaching as a part of excellent classroom practice. 2. What are the different types of support available for children at Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School ?

6 Specific small group work (sometimes called Intervention Groups in school) For your child, this means: Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress Programmes of support will be put in place on a short term basis to help your child to ‘catch up’ This may be: Run in the classroom or in the shared area Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching Assistant or Learning Support Assistant using the teacher’s plan This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

7 Highly personalised support, called Special Educational Needs Support For your child, this means: In consultation with you, your child will have been identified by the Class Teacher and Inclusion Manager as needing extra specialist support in school instead of, or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan the focused support for your child Personalised support through specific strategies (which may be suggested by the Inclusion Manager or specialist professional) are in place to support your child to learn and make progress A Learning Support Assistant or Teacher will run these small group sessions under the guidance of the Inclusion Manager You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional such as a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist to help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs in order to provide focused support The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include: Making changes to the way your child is supported in class, for example, some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better Support to set better individual targets for your child, which will include their specific expertise A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional, for example, a social skills group A group or individual work with the outside professional This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through quality first teaching and intervention groups. This is called Special Educational Needs Support (and replaces School Action and School Action Plus).

8 Specified Individual support This support is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan). This means your child will have been identified by the Class Teacher and Inclusion Manager as needing a more intensive level of specialist help that cannot be met from the resources available to schools to provide SEND Support. For your child this means: The school (or you) can ask the Local Authority for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment for your child An initial multi agency meeting is held prior to any request to ascertain appropriateness of the case This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you and your child), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a EHC assessment If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs After the reports have all been sent in, the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs require an EHC Plan in order to make good progress If this is the case, they will write a EHC Plan If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with Special Educational Needs Support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible The EHC Plan will outline long and short term outcomes for your child and what support they will receive in order to achieve these outcomes This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are complex and long term

9 LiteracyNumeracy Fine Motor / Handwritng Support Social Support / Emotional Support Other Provision Map for Year 1 Autumn 2014  ELS (Early Literacy Support)  Phonics Support  Precision teaching  Daily Reading  Narrative group  Snap Maths  Write from the Start/ Letter formation  Fine motor skills group  Gross Motor Skills group  Sunshine Club – Social skills group  Guided Play  Speech & Language Group  Attention & Listening group Provision Map for Year 2 Autumn 2014  Project X Code  Early Bird Literacy  Phonics Support  Precision teaching  Working to secure Level 1 Skills  Snap Maths  Write from the Start/ Letter formation  Fine motor skills group  Gross Motor Skills group  Sunshine Club- Social skills group  Play therapy  Nurture Sessions  Guided Play  Speech & Language Group  Attention & Listening group This is an example of the types of intervention/support we provide for children with SEND and those who require additional support. Please be minded that provision follows identified needs.

10 Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School Provision Map flow chart an example 3.Meet/speak with parents and pupil to agree a support intervention plan. 5.Teacher/TA/ monitor pupil progress to outcomes. Adapt if necessary. 4.SENCo plans and resources the intervention. Teachers and/or TAs deliver the support. 2.Teachers and SENCo discuss individual pupil learning needs and whether additional support would be appropriate and effective. 1.The school assesses all pupils’ strengths and areas for development. 6.Teacher and SENCo evaluate effectiveness of provision within time period agreed. Report to parents. Next steps?

11 If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress, you should speak to the Inclusion Manager or Head Teacher If you are still not happy, you can speak to the school SEND Governor 3. How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

12 If your child is identified as not making expected progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to: Listen to any concerns you may have Plan with you any additional support your child may receive Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning Agree targets Over an agreed period of time, the school will deliver the additional support and arrange a review meeting with parents to discuss: The effectiveness of the support Progress towards the agreed outcomes Set new targets if required. Where appropriate, we will also have a conversation with your child about their learning and fully involve your child in agreeing the desired outcomes and how we will achieve them. 4. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

13 The school budget, received from Richmond Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEND The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school The Head Teacher and the Inclusion Manager discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including: The children getting extra support already The children needing extra support The children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected The Head Teacher and Inclusion Manager decide what resources, training and support is needed via a Provision Map All resources, training and support are reviewed termly by the Head Teacher and Inclusion Manager and changes made as needed 5. How is extra support allocated to children?

14 At Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School we work in partnership with a range of professionals in order to support children with SEND. Additional Educational Psychology Service input to provide a higher level of service to the school Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs Speech and Language Therapy School Nurse Occupational Therapy In addition the Inclusion Manager can make referrals to: The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) The Primary Mental Health Team (PMHT) Social Care services 6. Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND at Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School ?

15 The Inclusion Manager’s job is to support the class teacher in teaching children with SEND The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This involves whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism and Speech and language difficulties Individual teachers and support staff attend specialist training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class 7. How do the teachers in school work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

16 Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs 8. How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

17 Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher Your child’s progress is reviewed formally every term Information is shared with you every term at parent’s evening If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet working at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool is used which shows their achievements in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress, this is called ‘P levels’ At the end of year 2 the government requires all children to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS) and the results are published nationally In addition: For children at SEN Support, they will have targets that will be reviewed with your involvement, every term The progress of children with a Statement of SEND or EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review meeting with all adults involved in the child’s education The Inclusion Manager will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work or in any group that they take part The effectiveness of the school’s provision for pupils with SEND is evaluated through the schools on- going monitoring cycle by the Senior Leadership Team. This includes: Termly pupil progress meetings Regular Book looks Provision Management audit 9. How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

18 The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used The Inclusion Manager is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns or worries you may have All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report Targets will be reviewed with your involvement each term Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child The Inclusion Manager will share information with you about local support groups, courses for parents and holiday activities that are relevant to your child’s needs 10. What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEND?

19 At Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School we strongly believe in fulfilling our statutory requirement to be an inclusive school. The school site is fully accessible to children with physical disability via ramps We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND Support is provided for children with SEND who require it at lunchtimes and breaks 11. How is Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School accessible to children with SEND?

20 When a child is admitted to Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School, whether into Nursery or Reception, or into another year group, the class teacher and Inclusion Manager work closely with any previous childcare or school setting the child has attended to ensure that we are able to support all children joining the school and can decide how best to meet their needs in our setting. The Inclusion Manager meets with St John the Baptist receiving school’s SENCo in the Summer term to discuss the needs of children in Year 2 who have been identified as having SEND. All staff have a responsibility for the welfare of all the pupils. Relevant staff are trained to support the medical needs of pupils including those with allergies. Health Care Plans are drawn up, in consultation with parents and healthcare professionals, if a child has a diagnosed medical condition, or when medication needs to be given in school. 12. How does the school prepare and support children when they join the school or transfer to a new school?

21 If you think your child may have special educational needs please see the class teacher. You can also contact the Inclusion Manager at via the school office The Head Teacher, Mrs Heidi Johnson Paul can be contacted via the school office. Parent Partnership Service is a free, independent and confidential service that supports parents of children with special needs. You can contact them at the Civic Centre 020 8891 1411 or Emma Maffre Phone: 020 8831 6179 The Enhanceable Children’s Service offer comprehensive support and advice on a wide range of disability, health and education issues, and work to put parents in touch with relevant professionals and support services. Contact them on 13. Who can parents contact for further information, or to raise concerns?

22 Each borough is working with parents, young people, voluntary organisations, professionals in health and social care to design a local offer that will set out information regarding children with SEND in a clear, accessible way. Find out about the services Richmond has to offer by clicking on the following link: local_offer.htm 14. Where can I find information about Richmond’s local offer?

23 Hampton Wick Infant and Nursery School Complaints Procedures http://Complaints Procedures School Policies School Policies SEN Code of Practice DfE ProceduresSchool

Download ppt "Special Education Needs Information Report This document provides information regarding what help there is for children and young people with Special Educational."

Similar presentations

Ads by Google