Staff Comments Henry and Sarah Waller likely built the 1½-story, single room log house shortly after arriving in the area ca. 1770. As the family grew, an adjacent two-story log residence was built in the early 19 th century. Together the buildings comprise two of Forsyth County’s oldest remaining hewn log dwellings. The property reflects traditional building methods and available resources as early settlers established farms in the Piedmont region of North Carolina. The rarity of comparable residential structures of this age, plan, and hewn log method of construction makes the buildings significant. Staff finds that the Waller House meets the criteria for listing in the National Register.
2.Old German Baptist Brethren Church Location:4916 Charnel Road Winston-Salem
Old German Baptist Brethren Church Aerial View Site Location
Staff Comments The Old German Baptist Brethren Church was the first meeting house erected by the Fraternity Brethren, organized in 1775 as North Carolina’s third congregation of that denomination. Worshipers gathered in their homes until 1860, when local carpenter Alexander Hampton Ellis oversaw the Brethren’s construction of this one-story, front-gable-roofed, weatherboarded, single-room meeting house in which to hold services. There were two rear additions in 1942 and the 1950s added that reflect the Old Order Brethren’s religious practices, particularly traditional worship services such as lovefeasts that are integral to the Brethren faith. The Old German Baptist Brethren Church is significant for its building architecture dating from 1860-1950 and for the events that significantly contributed to the broad patterns of our history which are manifested by the denomination’s worship practices. Staff finds that the Old German Baptist Brethren Church meets the criteria for listing in the National Register.