17. Name the two cities in Washington County. Washington City & Monongahela City
18. What county was Washington County formerly part of? Westmoreland County
19. Why was Washington County formed? Wash. Co. was formed “to allow the inhabitants of the area west of the Monongahela R. to have more convenient courts & public offices rather than the inconvenience & hardship of being so far remote from the seat of justice & records in Westmoreland Co.”
20. The territory of Washington County was originally part of what state? VA
21. Washington County gave rise to what three counties? Allegheny, Greene, & Beaver Counties
22. What was the Whiskey Rebellion? The Whiskey Rebellion (1791-1794) was when farmers & political leaders led in the protest of the Federal government’s excise tax on whiskey.
23. What Canonsburg landmark was associated with the Whiskey Rebellion? Black Horse Tavern
24. What did the Rev. John McMillan establish? The Rev. John McMillan established a log cabin academy (school) for boys near CBG.
25. What did John and Francis LeMoyne and Thomas McKeever do? John and Francis LeMoyne used their home in Washington as a station for the Underground RR. Thomas McKeever of West Middletown est. a similar station for escaped slaves.
26. Name the program that preserves farmland in Washington County. Farmland Preservation Program
27. How many covered bridges are in Washington County? 23
28. What is the phone number for the Canonsburg Borough building? 724-745-1800
29. What are the coordinates for the Arden Trolley Museum, CUP, Cbg. Lake And Dam, Lindenwood Golf Course, Little Lake Dinner Theater, Mineral Beach, Mingo Creek Park, Maggi’s Golf Course, Franklin Mall, etc. Arden Trolley Museum = C4 CUP = G6 Cbg. Lake And Dam = E3 Lindenwood Golf Course = E4 Little Lake Dinner Theater = E3 Mineral Beach = F3 Mingo Creek Park = E, F4 Maggi’s Golf Course = E4 Franklin Mall = C5
31. What color type is used to represent township Names? GREEN
32. Boroughs and cities are represented by what color? Yellow
33. What color is used to represent bodies of water? Blue
34. What color is used to represent interstates? Dark blue
35. In what month and year was this map prepared? 11/2004
36. How many miles is it from Canonsburg to Cecil, to Muse, to McDonald, to Washington, to Eighty-Four. CBG to Cecil = 6 CBG to Muse = 3 CBG to McDonald = 9 CBG to Washington = 6 CBG to Eighty-Four = 7