Presentation on theme: "Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI) from Carbon to Creativity Middle East Geospatial Middle East Geospatial Forum, 3-4 April 2012 QNCC."— Presentation transcript:
Qatar Environment and Energy Research Institute (QEERI) from Carbon to Creativity Middle East Geospatial Middle East Geospatial Forum, 3-4 April 2012 QNCC www.qeeri.org.qa
QEERI Vision To ensure sustainable development and management of Qatar’s energy and natural resources, preserving the quality of life of future generations and making Qatar a leader in cutting- edge energy and environment research
QEERI Mission To conduct and coordinate multi- disciplinary research that will address critical national priorities in energy and the environment, by integrating knowledge of the environment, food, energy and water resources in ways appropriate for Qatar and the region.
Introduction Geospatial data and analysis have become common place in research centres and natural resources organisations worldwide. The continued technological advances in computer hardware and software have provided, at low cost, massive processing power and efficient multi-date data-archiving. These developments in the field of Geospatial Analysis are very relevant to renewable energy, monitoring and modelling as well as environmental resources.
QEERI Strategic Objectives Research 1 Develop multidisciplinary and strategic research in the fields of energy and the environment, which are most critical for Qatar and establish an international reputation for research excellence Develop new knowledge-based solutions that can be applied and commercialized to enable key national stakeholders to optimize the management and enhance the sustainable development of Qatar’s hydrocarbon and natural resources Capacity Building 3 Develop a pool of Qatari and international scientists that can form an in-depth and diverse knowledge base in core research priority areas in energy and environment Coordination & Partnership 4 Coordinate national research efforts and forge strategic partnership with prominent international research entities in energy and environment for optimal impact and efficiency Solutions 2
QEERI research philosophy OUTREACHEXCEL BUILD CAPACITY COLLABORATE ALIGN
1) Air Quality modeling: QU Al Cornaish Aspire zone Data Source: Ministry of Environment -With collaboration with the Ministry of Environment, The Supreme Council of Research, Total & The Ministry of Energy/QP. -Objective is to map and model spatial distribution of pollutants in Qatar. -Will provide real time maps monitoring air quality. -Currently a pilot project focusing on Doha- 20km centered at QF.
2) Solar Atlas PI: Chmeissani, Darwish & El Gendy. -Assess and map solar energy potentials in Qatar. -Satellite imagery and ground measurements of solar radiation will be used: Optical Thickness/depth, LIDAR. -Modeling and interpolations techniques will be applied. Why Solar Energy? -Natural Gas and oil are finite and consumptions are excessively on rise. -Cost -This elongates the life of oil and natural gas resources, -Keep the return income from their export -Limits the emissions of Greenhouse Gases & air polluting gases
Soil is « present » at all organizational levels of the agro- eco-systems HYDRO-PEDO- STRUCTURE et BIO PEDON et soil surface Agronomical, pedological Mapping units Geomorphological, landscape …, mapping units MICRO SCALE (Soil medium) HUMAN SCALE (soil surface) GLOBAL SCALE (Earth systems) Studies of processes in the organized soil medium ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________ www.biologie.ens.fr/bioemco MACRO SCALE (soil mapping) 3) Soil & Water modeling (multi-scale hydrological modeling) PI: E. Braudeau
Challenge: coupling soil bio-geo-chemical and physical models with the organized soil system Many processes in soil -Organic Mater mineralization - Roots dynamic and growing -Microbiology life - N and C cycles - Pesticides transfer, accumulation etc. - Plants feeding Three fundamental questions: 1.What is the appropriate soil typology to be used in representing the system? 2.What soil hydro-structural properties to be used (characterization)? 3.What is the thermodynamics of this system including the living organisms? Soil is a physical organized medium allowing for life. It interacts with water and air that surround the solid phase of the soil structure. Spatial modeling of the bio-soil activity using soil mapping The pedon, Representative Elementary Volume of a soil mapping unit 3) Soil & Water modeling …cont
4) Biodiversity: Data Source: Ministry of Environment PI: Dr. Aurora Castilla Mapping of specific terrestrial plant and animal species in Qatar: -Inventory surveys -GPS registration of species locations -Habitat Suitability Analysis
Thank You Habitat Suitability Analysis using GIS modeling: Other layers will be included: climate, vegetation,..etc 4) Biodiversity… cont
5) Water Quality PI: Dr. Shomar Understanding the groundwater aquifer system in Qatar Identification the environmentally hotspots affecting groundwater quality Establishment of groundwater monitoring strategy, assessment and interpretation Mapping of groundwater quality in Qatar using GIS and RS Assessment of intrinsic vulnerability to contamination for Qatar aquifer using Integrated GIS and Earth Observation (EO) systems Use the results of the study in supporting policy and decision making on water laws, acts, planning and management
6) Soil Quality PI: Dr. Shomar - Investigate the geochemistry of the topsoil in Qatar. -Identify the major natural and anthropogenic inputs affecting soil quality. -Extract the spatial patterns of these inputs using GIS and RS, field observations and laboratory analyses. -Provide sophisticated querying and visualization tools at national scale. - Produced maps to develop and design priority soil management/land use planning specifying the particular remedial measures that have to be applied on a preventive, protective and restorative basis. - Develop a platform for the EIA of the activities above the ground (industry, agriculture, tourism etc.) on the soil quality. - Use the results of the study in supporting policy and decision making on soil related issues, planning and management.