1Third Grade Library Skills Lesson #12 3.1.15States Main IdeaAsk and answer questions to demonstrateunderstanding of text.Recounts storiesDescribes characters and how they contribute to eventsExplain how illustrations create mood, emphasizecharacters or settingDetermine main idea and supporting ideas
2Main Idea Turn to your partner and talk about what the main idea is. Now listen as Moby and Tim explain main idea.Is your definition the same?
3The main idea is ALWAYS the first sentence of the paragraph. a. Trueb. False
4The main idea of a story tells us . . . . a. What to look for in the storyb. What the story is mainly aboutc. How to read a storyd. Nothing
5The purpose of a supporting detail is: a. To tell you the main ideab. To give more information about the main ideac. To give you the conclusiond. To tell you who the narrator is
6Group Example It was backward day at school Group Example It was backward day at school. The students had to do things backward. Some of them wore their T-shirts backward. They took a test before they studied the lesson! Dessert was served first instead of last. They tried to walk home backward, but they bumped into each other and fell down. What is the main idea?a. Dessert is supposed to come lastb. The students had a backward dayc. It is hard to do things backwardd. Students failed their tests.
7Table 1 Brandon is in the fourth grade. He loves to play games Table 1 Brandon is in the fourth grade. He loves to play games. His favorite game is basketball. When Brandon goes outside, he plays basketball with friends. The main idea is:a. Brandon is in the fourth gradeb. Brandon loves to play gamesc. Brandon plays outsided. Brandon's favorite game is basketball
8Table 2 Joey ran down the field kicking the soccer ball Table 2 Joey ran down the field kicking the soccer ball. He got close to the goal and kicked as hard as he could. The goalie caught the ball and threw it back out. Joey knew he would try again soon. The main idea is:a. You can't use your hands in soccer.b. Goalies have a hard job.c. Joey's team is very good.d. Joey is trying to score a goal.
9Table 3 The rainforest has four main layers Table 3 The rainforest has four main layers. Different plants and animals live in each layer. Some layers get more sunlight than other layers. The names of these layers are the emergent layer, the canopy, the understory, and the forest floor. The main idea is:a. We should take care of the rainforest.b. The rainforest is an interesting place.c. Many plants grow in the rainforest.d. There are four main layers in the rainforest.
10Table 4 The class is going on a field trip to the science center Table 4 The class is going on a field trip to the science center. Our teacher tells us that science is important. Our class enjoys doing science experiments. We work very hard when we do science. Our class’s favorite subject is science. The main idea is:a. Our favorite subject is scienceb. We are going on a field trip to the science centerc. We love science experimentsd. We hate science
111. There are many kinds of animals. Some animals live in barns 1. There are many kinds of animals. Some animals live in barns. Animals like horses, cows, and pigs live in barns. Some animals live with people in houses. Fish and crabs live in the sea. Owls and other birds live in trees. What is the main idea:a. There are many kinds of animal homes.b. Animals live in the ocean.c. Dogs live in houses.d. Animals are happy in their homes.
12Every morning when I get up I eat breakfast, brush my teeth, comb my hair, get dressed and make my bed. After that, it is my job to feed the dog. Then, I can read or play until it is time for the bus to take me to school. The main idea is:a. What time I eat breakfastb. How I go to schoolc. My morning activitiesd. Riding the bus
133. The rules for lining up are very clear The rules for lining up are very clear. Wait until the teacher calls your group, then stand up and push in your chair. Walk to the door and stand in a straight, quiet line. Anyone not following the rules will be told by the teacher to please sit down. This can cause the class to be late. In which sentence can you find the main idea?a. first sentenceb. second sentencec. third sentenced. last sentence
144. At the store we use coupons to save money At the store we use coupons to save money. Coupons may come in the mail. Sometimes they are in the newspaper. You can get them in the ad for the store, too. Usually you need to cut the coupon out. What is the main idea:a. Coupons save money.b. Coupons can be found in different places.c. Cut coupons out of the ad.d. You may find a coupon at the store.
155. Camels have one or two humps on their back 5. Camels have one or two humps on their back The humps are made of fat. The fat stores energy. When there isn’t much food, the camel lives off from the energy from its hump What is this story mainly telling?a. About the humps of a camelb. How many humps a camel hasc. How much fat is in a camel's humpsd. How heavy a camel's humps can be
166. Zoo elephants get very good care Zoo elephants get very good care. Each morning zookeepers give them a special bath. They wash the elephants with water and a brush. Then they paint oil on their skin and rub oil on their feet. This is very important in elephant care. It helps the elephants stay healthy What is the main idea?a. Why zookeepers have happy lives?b. Who paints oil on elephantsc. How zookeepers give elephants special cared. How much elephants eat
177. They are building a new school near my house They are building a new school near my house. Every day I watch the workers drive huge tractors and push a ton of dirt. They have big cranes that help them place tall beams in the ground. The workers build walls using bricks. Every day it looks more and more like a school. Mom says I will go there in the fall. Why is the main idea?”a. A tractor can move a lot of dirt.b. Big cranes help put tall beams in place.c. School walls are made with bricks.d. A new school is being built.
188. Benjamin Franklin loved to write Benjamin Franklin loved to write. When he was twenty-two, he set up his own printing shop and started a newspaper. He also printed a book called Poor Richard’s Almanac. It had funny stories, information about the weather, and wise sayings. What is the main idea?a. Benjamin Franklin loved to write stories and books. b. Benjamin Franklin worked very hard when he was young. c. Benjamin Franklin knew a lot about the weather. d. Benjamin Franklin was very poor
199. Benjamin Franklin loved the city of Philadelphia 9. Benjamin Franklin loved the city of Philadelphia. He started the city’s first hospital and fire department. Ben also started Philadelphia’s first public library. Benjamin Franklin worked very hard to make Philadelphia a better place to live. What is the main idea?a. Benjamin Franklin worked hard to make his city a great place to live. b. Benjamin Franklin worked for the fire department. c. Benjamin Franklin knew a lot about books. d. Benjamin Franklin went to school in Philadelphia.
20a. Benjamin Franklin liked to play in the rain. Benjamin Franklin was very interested in electricity. One day he tried a very dangerous experiment to prove that lightning was electricity. He attached a key to a kite string and flew the kite during a thunderstorm. When the lightning hit the kite, sparks flew from the key. Benjamin Franklin proved that lightning was electricity. What is the main idea?a. Benjamin Franklin liked to play in the rain.b. Benjamin Franklin performed an experiment that proved lightning was electricity. c. Benjamin Franklin knew a lot about thunderstorms. d. Benjamin Franklin invented a new kind of kite.
21Benjamin Franklin invented many things that made life easier in the late 1700’s. He invented the lightning rod that saved many homes from fires. He also invented the Franklin stove. The stove could heat a room better than a fireplace and saved people a lot of fuel. He also invented a special kind of glasses called bifocals. This new kind of glasses helped people read better. What is the main idea?a. Benjamin Franklin thought reading was important. b. Benjamin Franklin was not afraid of fire. c. Benjamin Franklin was a great inventor. d. A Franklin stove can heat a whole room.
2212. I have a dog named Boots. I taught him lots of tricks I have a dog named Boots. I taught him lots of tricks. When I tell him to, Boots will sit or lie down. He can also wave his paw to great people. When I say, “Dance, Boots”, he will stand up on two legs and walk. I don’t know of many dogs that can do such amazing tricks. The main idea?a. Boots is my dog b. Boots can sit c. Boots is very smart. d. Most dogs can’t dance
2313. Peter’s parents bought a new carpet for the living room 13. Peter’s parents bought a new carpet for the living room. Now, he has to take his shoes off when he enters the house. He’s also not allowed to eat or drink in the living room any more. Peter’s furry dog isn’t allowed to play ball in there either. When his parents got the new carpet, there were lots of new rules so the carpet stays clean What is the main idea?a. Peter cannot go in the living room b. Peter’s parents don’t like the carpet. c. Peter likes to make a mess d. Peter’s parents made new rules.
2414. I can't wait until Saturday. We are going to a party I can't wait until Saturday. We are going to a party. It is a family reunion. I have a big family. So, there will be a lot of people there. My grandparents will be there. Four aunts and uncles will be there, too. I have twelve cousins and ten can make it. We will have a ball playing while the adults eat. There is always great food. Everyone brings something to share. The main idea is?a. The writer enjoys family reunions b. Reunions are the best place for food c. Reunions are boring d. The writer is sad that all her cousins won’t be there
2515. The frog sat on the side of the pond. He was very still The frog sat on the side of the pond. He was very still. His green color made him hard to see. A bug flew near him. His tongue zipped out, and he gobbled it up. Then the frog was still again. He waited for the next bug. What is the main idea?a. Frogs are green b. Frogs eat bugs c. Frogs do not move d. Frogs live in ponds
2616. Jon held the ball in his hands. He bounced it slowly on the ground Jon held the ball in his hands. He bounced it slowly on the ground. Once. Twice. He crouched low and then jumped. The ball flew into the air. Up, up, up, it went. Then down, down, down, into the basket. "Yes!" he yelled. "Nothing but net!" The main idea in this passage is:a. How to throw a basketball b. Jon could jump c. Jon liked basketball d. Jon makes a basket
2717. Do you brush your teeth. You should do it every day Do you brush your teeth? You should do it every day. Some kids like to use lots of toothpaste. Some use only a little. Some kids brush their teeth up and down. Others brush from side to side. Which one is better? They are both good. Don't forget to floss! The main idea in this passage is:a. You need to brush your teeth. b. You need to floss your teeth. c. You brush your teeth from side to side. d. How do you brush your teeth?
2818. Yesterday was my birthday Yesterday was my birthday. When I woke up, I noticed my brother Todd hung up a big sign that said “Happy Birthday, Joey!” Mom made spaghetti for dinner. It’s my favorite food in the whole world. My friend Dave came over and handed me a wrapped gift. I wondered what it was. It was a new basketball! I had a great day. What is the main idea?a. Todd had a great birthday b. Joey had a great birthday c. Todd got lots of gifts. d. Joey got lots of gifts.
2919. Let me tell you about my great dog. My dog's name is Mulligan 19. Let me tell you about my great dog. My dog's name is Mulligan. She is brown and black. She weighs 25 pounds. She has long ears and a tail with long hair. She follows me around the house. I love her very much! The main idea in this passage is:a. The writer plays with his dog b. Dogs are not fun c. The dog is brown d. The writer wants to tell you about his/her dog
30Group Example The big day had come at last. Mrs Group Example The big day had come at last. Mrs. Jones' third grade class waited quietly for her to come into the room. They had planned the party a week ago. Today Amy brought the cupcakes, Joey brought the napkins, Carlos brought the soda, and Katie brought the cups. Everyone wanted the party to be a surprise. Mrs. Jones did not know the children knew it was her birthday. When she came back into the room, the children shouted, "Happy birthday, Mrs. Jones!" And then the children got a surprise, too! Mrs. Jones had brought everyone a party hat and ice cream! What is the main idea?a. Mrs. Jones likes ice cream b. Carlos brought the soda c. Everyone got a surprise
31Group Example Water can take many forms. We see water every day Group Example Water can take many forms. We see water every day. We see it at the beach. The Gulf of Mexico is liquid water! Water can be hard as a rock. When it is frozen, water is ice. You may have seen ice in a cup of soda. Frozen water, or ice cubes, keep other liquids cool. When ice cubes melt, they become liquid water again. If the pool of melted water is not wiped up, it will disappear after some time. Do you know where it goes? It becomes something else. It becomes water vapor, or a gas, and disappears into the air. There is water vapor in clouds. Water can be liquid, solid, or a gas. What is the main idea?a. Ice cubes are a solid form of water b. Water can take many forms c. Water is a liquid
32Group Example Some people believe that the word turtle is another word for tortoise. They believe that the two words are names for the same animal, but that is not true. Turtles and tortoises are related, and they are both reptiles. However, there are differences between these two animals. Most turtles live in salt water and can swim. They have hard shells and flippers for swimming. Tortoises usually live on land. Land tortoises have legs instead of flippers so that they can move on land. Sometimes tortoises live in fresh water, but not in salt water like turtles. The tortoises which live in freshwater have webbed feet and sharp claws so that they can move well in water and on land, as well. Both turtles and tortoises hatch from eggs and both can grow to be very large. Both animals have been around since prehistoric times. What is the main idea?a. Turtles and tortoises are related animals, but have differences b. Turtles are animals that have been around since prehistoric times c. Turtles and tortoises both have shells to protect their soft bodies
33Table 1 Do you know that rules are everywhere Table 1 Do you know that rules are everywhere? We have rules at home, rules at school, rules at the store, and rules on the road! We have rules for riding bikes, driving cars, flying airplanes, and even for swimming. Why do we have so many rules? Well, for one thing, rules help us know what to do. We know to stop at a red light and to go when the light turns green. We know to use our indoor voices in the lunchroom and save our outdoor voices for recess. At the store we know the rule is to take our things to the checkout lane before we leave the store! Rules help us do the right thing. We know rules for fire safety. We know to dial 911 to report a fire or to stop, drop, and roll if our clothes are on fire. We all know the rule that we should never swim alone. Sometimes rules will change, but they are almost always made to keep us safe and to help us get along with others. Rules are important. What is the main idea?a. There are too many rules b. Rules are important c. Stop, drop, and roll is an important rule
34Table 2 Lighthouses are important to sea travelers Table 2 Lighthouses are important to sea travelers. They have been used for thousands of years to warn ships that they are near land or dangerous rocks. Lighthouses are towers built near the shore or among the rocks. They have a bright beacon of light shining from the top. Long ago metal baskets with burning coal or wood were hung from poles at the top of the lighthouse to produce the warning light. Today a very large lens shaped like a barrel sends a beam of light far out to sea. Sailors learn where lighthouses are located. Each lighthouse has a special signal so that sailors can tell them apart. The lighthouses help the sailors stay safely out to sea, and they also help the sailors stay on course. What is the main idea?a. Sailors watch for light houses b. Fire in a metal basket makes a good light c. Light houses help sailors
35Table 3 Plants add a lot to our world Table 3 Plants add a lot to our world. Plants outdoors can make a beautiful garden. They make a place for large and small animals to make home. Plants indoors are pretty, too. In the house live plants give off oxygen which people need to breath. Maybe the most important thing about plants is that you can eat them! Animals eat them, too! Think of all the foods you eat in one day that comes from a plant. The wheat that is in your cereal or bread is a plant! The lettuce, tomato, and onion on your hamburger are plants! The apples, bananas, and grapes in the fruit bowl come from plants. Plants are wonderful! Do you have a favorite plant food? What is the main idea?a. Flowers make a pretty garden b. People and animals eat plants c. Birds make their homes in trees
36Table 4 In 1732 a person was born who would be important to the United States of America. His name is George Washington. He grew up in this country before it was a free country. He played in the wilderness as a boy, and when he grew up he was a leader in the Army that made America free. People thought he was brave, honest, and smart. They asked him to be the first President of the United States. Washington was not sure if he should take the job of president at first. He knew it was a hard job. However, Washington loved the new United States of America, and so he did become the first President of the United States on April 30, He was president for eight years, from 1789 until He served our country well. What is the main idea?a. Being president of the United States is a hard job. b. George Washington was the first president of the United States c. Washington played in the wilderness when he was a boy