Presentation on theme: "Irregular and Regular Verbs Agreement Unit. Key Learning: Using appropriate grammar in writing and speaking is essential for effective communication."— Presentation transcript:
Irregular and Regular Verbs Agreement Unit
Key Learning: Using appropriate grammar in writing and speaking is essential for effective communication. Unit Essential Question: How does proper grammar help us to communicate effectively? Concept: Verbs Lesson Essential Questions: 1.Why do we have subject and verbs agree in both tense and number in a sentence? ( ) 2.What are the principal parts of a verb? ( ) 3.What makes a verb irregular? ( ), 4.How do we determine the proper use of commonly confused words? ( ) 5.How do we decide if infinitives and/or infinitive phrases are being used correctly within a sentence? ( )
ACTIVATOR Circle the verbs that you think are irregular. What are your standards for selection? hope go run wish tell
1. Principal Parts of a Verb a.The principal parts of a verb are the base form, the present participle, the past, and the past participle. talk draw [is] talking [is] drawing talked drew [have] talked [have] drawn BasePresent PPastPast Part
1. Principal Parts of a Verb b.“talk” is a regular verb because its past and past participle forms are created by adding an –ed at the end. c.“draw” is an irregular verb because its past and past participle forms are created differently.
Assessment Prompt 1s, tell 2s: Name a verb in base form. With your partner, take turns changing the verb to present participle, past, and past participle? 2s, select a new verb and do the same.
2. Principal Parts of a Verb and Time a.The principal parts of a verb are used to express time. Present Time -He draws excellent pictures -Susan is drawing one now.
2. Principal Parts of a Verb and Time a.The principle parts of a verb are used to express time. Past Time -Last week they drew two maps. -She has often drawn cartoons. Future Time -Perhaps she will draw one for you. -By Thursday, we will have drawn two more.
3. Regular Verbs a.A regular verb forms its past and past participle by adding –d or –ed to the base form. BasePresent PPastPast Part clean[is] cleaningcleaned[have] cleaned hope[is] hopinghoped[have] hoped slip[is] slipping slipped [have] slipped
4. Irregular Verbs a.An irregular verb forms its past and past participle in some way other than adding –d or –ed to the base form. 1.by changing vowels BasePresent PPastPast Part sing[is] singingsang[have] sung
4. Irregular Verbs 2.by changing consonants BasePresent PPastPast Part make[is] makingmade[have] made 3.by changing vowels and consonants Base dodo Present PPastPast Part [is] doingdid[have] done
4. Irregular Verbs 4.by making no changes BasePresent PPastPast Part hurt[is] hurtinghurt[have] hurt
Assessment Prompt What makes a verb irregular? Give one example per group member – also, taking the base through each of the principal parts.
5. Common Irregular Verbs We will be placing two sheets in your binder/spiral –Make sure that you fill in the blanks as we go through the notes.
5. Common Irregular Verbs beganbegun bit Base Form Present Participle Past TensePast Participle 1 begin [is] beginning [have] 2 bite [is] biting [have] 3 blow [is] blowing [have] 4 break [is] breaking [have] 5 bring [is] bringing [have] 6 build [is] building [have] 7 burst [is] bursting [have] 8 buy [is] buying [have] 9 catch [is] catching [have] bitten or bit blewblown broke broken brought built burst bought caught
5. Common Irregular Verbs 24 forgive [is] forgiving [have] 25 freeze [is] freezing [have] 26 get [is] getting [have] 27 give [is] giving [have] 28 go [is] going [have] 29 grow [is] growing [have] 30 have [is] having [have] 31 hear [is] hearing [have] 32 hide [is] hiding [have] 33 hit [is] hitting [have] 34 hold [is] holding [have] 35 know [is] knowing [have] forgiven grew frozen got got or gotten gave given wentgone grown forgave froze had heard hid hid or hidden hit held knewknow
5. Common Irregular Verbs led 36 lead [is] leading [have] 37 leave [is] leaving [have] 38lend[is] lending[have] 39let[is] letting[have] 40 light [is] lighting[have] 41lose[is] losing[have] 42make[is] making[have] 43meet[is] meeting[have] 44pay[is] paying[have] 45put[is] putting[have] 46read[is] reading[have] 47ride[is] riding[have] led left lent let lighted or lit lighted or lit lost made met paid put read roderidden
5. Common Irregular Verbs rang 48 ring [is] ringing [have] 49 run [is] running [have] 50 say [is] saying [have] 51 see [is] seeing [have] 52 seek [is] seeking [have] 53 sell [is] selling [have] 54 send [is] sending [have] 55 shrink [is] shrinking [have] 56 sing [is] singing [have] 57 sink [is] sinking [have] 58 speak [is] speaking [have] 59 spend [is] spending [have] rung ranrun said sawseen sought sold sent shrank or shrunk sangsung sank or sunk spokespoken spent