Presentation on theme: "Chemistry SASA Qtr 1 Review Guide. 1. Deuterium ( 2 H) and protium ( 1 H) are two isotopes of hydrogen. Which of the following statements best compares."— Presentation transcript:
1. Deuterium ( 2 H) and protium ( 1 H) are two isotopes of hydrogen. Which of the following statements best compares a deuterium atom to a protium atom? From: 2006 MCAS Massachusetts State Assessment System, Chemistry A The deuterium atom has a smaller net charge. B The deuterium atom has a smaller atomic radius. C The deuterium atom has more electron orbitals. D The deuterium atom has more particles in its nucleus.
2. Based on its position on the periodic table, which of the following elements is a nonmetal? From: 2006 MCAS, Massachusetts State Assessment [Chemistry] APotassium (K) BNickel (Ni) CVanadium (V) DBromine (Br)
3. Which of the following ordered pairs of elements shows an increase in atomic number but a decrease in average atomic mass? A Ag to Pd B Co to Ni C Ge to Sn D Cr to Mo
4. In which list are the elements arranged in order of increasing atomic mass? (1) Cl, K, Ar (2) Te, I, Xe (3) Fe, Co, Ni (4) Ne, F, Na
5. How many protons, neutrons, and electrons are in a neutral atom of sodium? F 11 p_, 12 n_, 11e_ _ G 11 p_, 11 n_, 12e_ H 12 p_, 11 n_, 12e_ J 12 p_, 11 n_, 11e_
6. Which of the following is the same for both hydrogen and potassium? From: 2006 MCAS, Massachusetts State Assessment System, Chemistry Aatomic mass Bnumber of valence electrons Ctotal mass of nucleons Datomic number
7. The high electrical conductivity of metals is primarily due to- From: NY Regents Chemistry 2003 (1) high ionization energies (2) filled energy levels (3) mobile electrons (4) high electronegativities
8. Which of the following statements describes the elements in family 17 of the periodic table? From: 2006 Massachusetts State Assessment System, Chemistry AThey have seven valence electrons. BThey are all solids at room temperature. CThey exist commonly as cations in nature. DThey are highly inert or unreactive.
9. Which list of elements contains two metalloids? From: NY Regents Chemistry 2003 (1) Si, Ge, Po, Pb (2) Si, P, S, Cl (2) As, Bi, Br, Kr (4) Po, Sb, I, Xe
10. An atom in the ground state has a stable valence electron configuration. This atom could be an atom of- From: 2009 New York Regents Examination, Chemistry (1) Al (3) Na (2) Cl (4) Ne
11. An element that is malleable and a good conductor of heat and electricity could have an atomic number of- (1) 16 (2) 29 (3) 18 (4) 35
12. Samples of four Group 15 elements, antimony, arsenic, bismuth, and phosphorus, are in the gaseous phase. An atom in the ground state of which element requires the least amount of energy to remove its most loosely held electron? (1)As (2) P (3) Bi (4) Sb
13. According to the electron-cloud model of the atom, an orbital is a- (1) circular path traveled by an electron around the nucleus (2) spiral path traveled by an electron toward the nucleus (3) region of the most probable proton location (4) region of the most probable electron location
14. The table below gives information about the nucleus of each of four atoms. How many different elements are represented by the nuclei in the table? (1) 1 (3) 3 (2) 2 (4) 4
15. In the ground state, each atom of an element has two valence electrons. This element has a lower first ionization energy than calcium. Where is this element located on the Periodic Table? A. Group 1, Period 4 B. Group 2, Period 3 C. Group 2, Period 5 D. Group 3, Period 4