Presentation on theme: "The Lake Allegan/Kalamazoo River Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Plan Implementation by Jeff Spoelstra, Coordinator, Kalamazoo River Watershed Council."— Presentation transcript:
The Lake Allegan/Kalamazoo River Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Plan Implementation by Jeff Spoelstra, Coordinator, Kalamazoo River Watershed Council – www.kalamazooriver.org 12/9/09 – MWEA Phase I&II SW Permitting The Lake Allegan/Kalamazoo River Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) Plan Implementation by Jeff Spoelstra, Coordinator, Kalamazoo River Watershed Council – www.kalamazooriver.org 12/9/09 – MWEA Phase I&II SW Permitting
What is a TMDL? Total Maximum Daily Load is an estimate of the maximum amount of a pollutant that a water body can receive and still meet water quality standards and an allocation of that amount to the pollutant’s sources. In our watershed area this affects point sources and nonpoint sources.
TMDL “ The primary purpose of the TMDL program is to protect public health and the health of impaired aquatic ecosystems by ensuring attainment of water quality standards, including beneficial uses.” US EPA, 1998
Background 1,587 acre reservoir 1972 EPA classified as hypereutrophic due to total phosphorus Assessment kicked off in 1998. A unique “cooperative agreement” kicked off later to organize the sources. Point sources participate to maintain flexibility. Stormwater is considered a nonpoint source in this TMDL. Lake Allegan
Structure – last 10 years TMDL Implementation Committee (meets quarterly) Agriculture subcommittee Urban subcommittee Point Source Committee (meets 2-3 times per year) Technical Committee (as needed) Strategy/Leadership Committee (as needed) Phase II resulted in more independent stormwater/municipal groups, processes, and paperwork load Battle Creek – Clean Water Partners Kalamazoo Area – Stormwater Work Group
TMDL Lake Goals – during the “growing season” Water Quality Indicators 1998 Conditions Goals *By 2012 Total phosphorus 96 ug/L60 ug/L* Chlorophyll a67 ug/L30 ug/L Dissolved oxygen 3.1 mg/L5 mg/L Water Clarity30 inches42 inches Carp & catfish as % of fish community 87%30%
65% of the phosphorus from nonpoint sources; remaining 35% from point sources. Goal1998Goal1998 Waste Load Allocation 8,700 6,7008,700 Load Allocation 9,80017,2184,0888,135 Margin of Safety 10050 Total pounds per month 18,60025,91810,83816,835 April - June July - September Load Goals
Status The PS have met their WLA. PS P loading reported online, year round. PS have provided educational, monetary, analytical, sampling and staffing resources. PS technical advisor maintains a website, provides statistical analysis, advises the group on BMPs and TMDL trends. NPS load tracking and methodology not consistent.
Point Source WLA Status 2001-2009: data summaries by Kieser & Associates, LLC
Nonpoint Source Phosphorus Distribution Stormwater!
What have we tried? Subcommittees refined to focus on ag and urban. Monitoring and tracking University research and sustainability efforts – internal loading, dissolved fractions of phosphorus. Implementation Plan refined to focus on a three year strategy (handout). Kanoe the Kazoo, Super Soils Test Saturday, Carp Derby, built “watershed communication center”. Support BMP projects and planning – AWEP, HWRP. Supported regional or state efforts to reduce phosphorus (e.g., lawn ordinances, Farm Bill funding). More recently, exploring low impact development ordinances, stormwater ordinances and practices, wellhead protection ordinances. Local leadership – sharing the phosphorus message.
Future: Sign a new TMDL Cooperative Agreement? State of Michigan nutrient limits? New stormwater permit process – cooperative TMDL monitoring? Encouraging non-Phase I&II communities to tackle stormwater Umbrella organization and Partnership Agreement New overall watershed management plan in development Buildout analysis Loading
Change in Total Phosphorus Load per Land Use in the Kalamazoo River Watershed TP Load (lbs)
Comparison of Monthly TP Load in 2001 and 2003 with Phosphorus TMDL Load Allocation 14,022 lbs/mo 16,961 lbs/mo TP Load (lbs)
Stormwater Control Costs* to Treat Increasing TP Loads from 2001 to 2030 Scenario 1: Only required to reduce 50% of 2001 load because SW ordinance was adopted Scenario 2: No ordinance adopted; required to reduce new 2030 load by 50% Scenario 3: No ordinance adopted; required to reduce 2030 load to 50% of 2001 loading level * Assumes an average estimated cost of $10,000/lb of TP reduction (which will vary depending on available land, land costs, design and inflation).
Thank You TMDL information – www.kalamazooriver.net Municipal outreach programs – stormwater, groundwater, and education www.bcwater.org www.protectyourwater.net www.kalamazooriver.org firstname.lastname@example.org to e-mail Jeff