Presentation on theme: "2. NP + to Vt + O + Prep NP + to Vi + Prep 1. be always/constantly + V-ing."— Presentation transcript:
2. NP + to Vt + O + Prep NP + to Vi + Prep 1. be always/constantly + V-ing
Example: 1. be always/constantly + V-ing George was always saying that he was going to build something and then forgetting about it.
Exercise A Complete the following sentences with the given words. Use the above pattern. 1. Mother ______________________ ________________________________ ____________________. (talk/importance/water conservation) is always/constantly talking about the importance of water conservation
2. Due to the recent water rationing, people _______________________ _______________________ ______________________________. (complain/inconvenience) are always/constantly complaining about the inconvenience in water usage 3. Cindy left her umbrella on the bus again. She _____________________ ____________________. (lose/umbrella) is always/constantly losing her umbrellas
5. People found it unbearable that Peter ________________________________ ___________. (ask/silly/question) is always/constantly asking silly questions 4. Jeff didn’t show up on time again. He ________________________________ ____. (show up/late) is always/constantly showing up late
Exercise B Use the above pattern to complete each of the following dialogues. The first one has been done for you. 1. A: I’m afraid that I forgot to lock the door. B: Not again! You are always/constantly forgetting to lock the door.
2. A: The car has broken down again. B: That car is useless! It _____________ _______________________________. 3. A: Look! You’ve made the same mistake again. B: Oh no, not again! I ______________ _______________________________. is always/ constantly breaking down am always/ constantly making the same mistake
4. A: Oh no, I’ve lost my keys again. B: Typical! You ___________________ _______________________________. 5. A: She is such a sweet girl. She smiles a lot. B: Yeah. She ______________________ _________. That’s why we call her “Sunshine.” are always/constantly losing your keys is always/constantly smiling
6. A: I heard Tom call you “Sweetie.” B: He _____________________________ ______________. I wish he’d stop. is always/constantly calling me “Sweetie”
Example: 1. I have nothing to brace my feet against. 2. I need a pen to write with. 2. NP + to Vt + O + Prep NP + to Vi + Prep
Combine each pair of the following sentences into one by using the above pattern. The first one has been done for you. Exercise A: I need a hammer to break the bottle with. I need a hammer. I can break the bottle with the hammer. 1.
She asked for a big bowl to put the salad in. She asked for a big bowl. She could put the salad in the big bowl. 2. As I am new here, I don’t know anybody to rely on. As I am new here, I don’t know anybody. I can rely on nobody. 3.
He needed a saw to cut the tree down with. He needed a saw. He could cut the tree down with the saw. 4. There was no chair in the room to sit on. There was no chair in the room. Someone could sit on the chair. 5.
Complete the following dialogues with the given words. Use the above pattern. Exercise B: 1. A: Mr. Peterson is a trustworthy man. B: I agree. He’s _____________________ ______ (right person/depend on). the right person to depend on
2. A: Do you have a knife? B: Yes, but what for? A: I need it ________________________ (sharpen/pencil). 3. A: Can I have your phone number? B: Sure, but I need __________________ ______________ (piece/paper/write... down). to sharpen my/the pencil with a piece of paper to write it down on
Back 4. A: Why did you move here? B: Because I think this is _____________ ________ (the best city/live). 5. A: The old man has no friends or relatives. He must be lonely. B: Yeah. He cannot find ______________ ________ (anyone/talk). the best city to live in anyone to talk to