Presentation on theme: "14. Who do you say I am? Mark 8:11-30 p. 930 Who do you say I am? Second Sunday of Advent. Knowing Jesus is the centre of the season – Only gets."— Presentation transcript:
14. Who do you say I am? Mark 8:11-30 p. 930
Who do you say I am? Second Sunday of Advent. Knowing Jesus is the centre of the season – Only gets us part of the way. Have to know who Jesus really is. Jesus asks two questions: Who do people say I am? (v 27) Who do YOU say I am? (V 29)
1. Disputing & Testing Pharisees confront Jesus: “to question him” (v 11) Could be translated “dispute, debate”. It’s adversarial. Ask for a sign from heaven Not so that they can believe. To confirm he is not who he appears to be. They come to “test” him. Not neutral. To confirm their disbelief; make their skepticism reasonable. Jesus “left them” (v 13) “Gave up on them”
2. Blindness & Sight Jesus warns of the “yeast” of Pharisees & Herod (v 15) “Yeast”: corruption, danger, evil, hardness of heart. Teaching (Matt 16:12); Hypocrisy (Luke 12:1) Disciples cannot see what he is talking about “It is because we have no bread” (v 16) Jesus: “why are you talking about having no bread?” (v 17)
2. Blindness & Sight... Jesus asks hard questions (v 17-18): Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? Don’t you remember? Element of hardness of heart, rebellion, foolishness in their misunderstanding Treat God as no different to sinful humans – Sin !
3. Identity & Mission Who do people say I am? John the Baptist Elijah One of the Prophets Today: Good Man; Great Teacher; Moral Leader;... Who do you say I am? Messiah – “anointed one” (e.g. Jer. 23:5)
Who do you say I am? Worth asking the question in all its fullness: Will I accept who he really is? Will I accept what he came to do? Will I see with my eyes? Will I hear with my ears? Will I open my heart and soften it before God? Will I let him be the centre (not just part) of my life?