Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation Texas Water: What You Should Know November 6, 2010.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Presentation Texas Water: What You Should Know November 6, 2010."— Presentation transcript:

1 Presentation Texas Water: What You Should Know November 6, 2010

2 The San Antonio River Authority (SARA) was created by the State Legislature in 1937, then reorganized in 1961 to plan, manage and implement water-related programs and projects within the San Antonio River Basin.

3 Vision: Leaders in Watershed Solutions Mission: Sustain and Enrich Life in the San Antonio River Watershed

4 4 Agency Goals 1.Generate lasting and recognized improvements to the health of the San Antonio River Watershed; 2.Enhance community appreciation for and access to the San Antonio River and its tributaries; 3.Strengthen and develop expertise at all levels; 4.Diversify and leverage funding sources

5 5 Storm Runoff and Strong Base flows Satisfy Water Rights and Contribute to Instream Flows and Freshwater Inflows to the Guadalupe Estuary Medina Lake Medina Lake San Antonio Return Flows Guadalupe Estuary Guadalupe Estuary San Antonio River San Antonio Springs San Antonio Springs

6 Water Right Permits Prior appropriations system in Texas and the issuance of a water right – Priority Date – Water Availability – Beneficial use – Existing Water Rights – Environmental Impacts – Consistency with the Regional and State Water Plans – Notice within the Basin

7 Permit Exemptions Domestic Livestock Wildlife management Sediment control as part of mining operations Historic cemeteries

8 Priority Date / Seniority Senior water rights – Permitted Pre 1950’s Junior water right – Permitted Post 1950’s Permits with Special Conditions/Restrictions – Permitted Post 1980’s New Appropriations have environmental flow restriction. – Proof of reliability an issue 8

9 Primary Uses in San Antonio River Domestic Livestock Irrigation Industrial

10 Water Rights on the San Antonio and Medina Rivers 10 Total of 258 permits totaling 183,710 acft/yr

11 SARA Objectives 1)Maintain instream flows in the San Antonio River and its major tributaries. 2)Maintain freshwater inflows to the Guadalupe Estuary. 3)Acquire and beneficially use surface water rights for environmental flow and traditional water supply purposes. 11

12 12 SARA’s Surface Water Rights Acquisition Project Improve management and availability of water resources Comprehensive study of water rights use – study indicated significant percentage of water rights are under utilized or not utilized Determined to establish and expand the River Authority’s water rights inventory – ensure that adequate water resources exist to serve the needs of the district. Water Rights can also serve the needs of the River Authority constituents in times of drought.

13 13 SARA’s Water Rights Clinton - – WR # – 333 acre-feet per year – April 25, 1950 Drzymalla – – WR # – 186 acre-feet per year – October 1, 1984 Dugi – – WR # – 173 acre-feet per year – August 10, 1998 Corbin - – WR # – 200 acre-feet per year – June 22, 1981 Helton - – WR # – 81.6 acre-fee per year – 1926 (23); 1989 (58.6)

14 14 Water Availability based on the Region L assumptions (acft/yr ) The table contains the available (unappropriated) streamflow at the three (3) locations assuming full utilization of existing rights. Note that the true availability to a “new” project located at one of these locations may also be based on maximum diversion rate, inclusion of environmental flow criteria, and other factors. Falls City gageGoliad gage Minimum01,397 Average ( )139,091331,348 Drought Average ( )13,62799,493 Maximum891,7991,341,760

15 15 Major Treated Effluent Discharge Locations

16 Indirect Reuse Water Effluent is discharged into a state watercourse pursuant to National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) or Texas Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (TPDES) permit and diverted downstream for use Quantity regulated by Water Code Title 30 TAC Chapters 295 and 297 Requires Water Right Permit from TCEQ

17 17 Major Treated Effluent Discharge Locations in SARA District

18 18 San Antonio Water System – Historical Treated Effluent San Antonio Water System – Historical Treated Effluent

19

20

21 21 Calaveras & Braunig Lakes Multi-purpose reservoirs owned by the City Public Service Board of San Antonio providing water supply for steam-electric power generation. Conservation storage = 89,300 acft Authorized consumptive water use at the reservoirs = 49,000 acft/yr Authorized make-up diversions from the San Antonio River = 72,000 acft/yr

22

23

24 24 Guadalupe Estuary — TWDB Historical Freshwater Inflow 24

25 25 Guadalupe Estuary — TWDB Historical Freshwater Inflows 25

26 26 Guadalupe Estuary – Freshwater Inflow Components Example Wet Year = 1992 Total Year = 7,696,573 acft

27 27 Guadalupe Estuary – Freshwater Inflow Components Example Wet Year = 1992 Total Year = 7,696,573 acft SAWS Effluent (2%) 153,900 acft San Antonio River Runoff (27%) 2,078,100 acft Total San Antonio River Contribution (29%) 2,232,000 acft

28 28 Guadalupe Estuary – Freshwater Inflow Components Example Average Year = 1994 Total Inflow = 1,880,028 acft

29 29 Guadalupe Estuary – Freshwater Inflow Components Example Average Year = 1994 Total Year = 1,880,028 acft SAWS Effluent (5%) 94,000 acft San Antonio River Runoff (20%) 376,000 acft Total San Antonio River Contribution (25%) 470,000 acft

30 30 Guadalupe Estuary – Freshwater Inflow Components Example Dry Year = 1996 Total Inflow = 644,041 acft

31 31 Guadalupe Estuary – Freshwater Inflow Components Example Dry Year = 1996 Total Year = 644,041 acft SAWS Effluent (14%) 90,200 acft San Antonio River Runoff (11%) 70,800 acft Total San Antonio River Contribution (25%) 161,000 acft

32 Questions & Discussion


Download ppt "Presentation Texas Water: What You Should Know November 6, 2010."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google