Presentation on theme: "The Giver Hero’s Journey Joseph Campbell. 1. Hero’s are introduced in the ORDINARY WORLD, where Jonas – Hero’s Journey The Mundane World/Community of."— Presentation transcript:
The Giver Hero’s Journey Joseph Campbell
1. Hero’s are introduced in the ORDINARY WORLD, where Jonas – Hero’s Journey The Mundane World/Community of Sameness Jonas is an eleven year old boy who lives in an apparent utopia. There is no pain or anguish, emotions are suppressed, and everyone is basically the same. He lives with his parents (not his biological parents) and his sister Lily.
2. they receive the CALL TO ADVENTURE. The Call To Adventure Jonas attends the Ceremony of Twelve to receive his job that he will be doing the rest of his life. This is customary for everyone who turns twelve in his community. The Council of Elders give Jonas the job of “Receiver of Memory.”
. They are RELUCTANT at first or REFUSE THE CALL, but Crossing The Threshold Jonas meets “The Giver,” the man who has held all the memories of the community such as pain, adventure, music, and many more. The first memory Jonas receives is sledding down a hill in the winter time
4. are encouraged by a MENTOR to The Giver
5. CROSS THE FIRST THRESHOLD and enter the Special World, where First Threshold: The memory of the sled Discovers: hills, snow, speed, exhilaration, color of red on the runners
#6 Test, Allies, Enemies The Path of Trials Jonas goes through a lot while receiving the memories from The Giver. He first gets happy memories but after a while The Giver has to give him a painful memory. Jonas at first is horrified but learns to deal with the burden.
#6 Trials (memories) Memories of sunburn, sled ride, snow, sunshine, Civil War, elephants shot and grief, love/Christmas/grandparents, thirst, broken leg Parallel episodes: sled three times, release of old, release of new born, Ceremony, telling of feelings at dinner
7. They APPROACH THE INMOST CAVE, crossing the second threshold Jonas seeing what “being released” actually means. Belly of the whale/darkest hour= the release of the newborn twin.
8. where they endure the SUPREME ORDEAL How to bring back the memories to the Community, How to save Gabe
Master of Two Worlds Jonas feels that everyone needs to feel the memories he has in his head and decides to leave the community with Gabriel. With the help of The Giver, he leaves his home and sets off with Gabriel. He knows that as he leaves the memories will find their way back to everyone, and people will start to gain what they have lost. Jonas becomes the Master of Two Worlds when he realizes that while having no pain and anguish might be good, the sacrifice of love, joy, and everything else that was good isn’t worth it.
9. They take possession of their REWARD and Gabriel’s survivals The Memories? The Freedom?
10. are pursued on THE ROAD BACK to the ordinary world. Running from the Community in order to find Elsewhere. Search planes hover in the sky.
11. They cross the third threshold, experience a RESURRECTION, are transformed by the experience. Enter the world of Elsewhere Hears music, sees Christmas lights, hears an echo
12. They RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR, a boon or treasure to benefit the Ordinary World. The memories are given to the entire Community. Elixir: magic
Elixir e·lix·ir /ɪˈlɪksər/ Show Spelled [ih-lik-ser] Show IPA noun 1. Pharmacology. a sweetened, aromatic solution of alcohol and water containing, or used as a vehicle for, medicinal substances. 2. Also called elixir of life. an alchemic preparation formerly believed to be capable of prolonging life. 3. an alchemic preparation formerly believed to be capable of transmuting base metals into gold. 4. the quintessence or absolute embodiment of anything. 5. a panacea; cure-all; sovereign remedy.remedy
Hero’s Journey Answer Key 1. ORDINARY WORLD: The Community of Sameness 2. CALL TO ADVENTURE: Chosen as the Receiver 3. RELUCTANCE: fear, confusion of the role 4. MENTOR: The Giver 5. FIRST THRESHOLD: Memory of the sled 6. TESTS, ALLIES, ENEMIES: Tests may include: the painful memories, not being able to share what he learns with others. Allies may include: Fiona, Rosemary, possibly his family members. Enemies may include: Asher, Community of Sameness, possibly his family members 7. THE INMOST CAVE: Jonas seeing what “being released” actually means 8. SUPREME ORDEAL: How to bring back the memories to the Community, How to save Gabe 9. REWARD: Gabriel? The memories? Freedom? 10. THE ROAD BACK: Running from the Community in order to find Elsewhere 11. RESURRECTION: Enter the world of Elsewhere 12. BESTOW THE ELIXIR: The memories are given to the entire Community