Presentation on theme: "What is “The West?” Civilization in Europe emerged after Near Eastern Civilizations declined; Daniel’s era."— Presentation transcript:
What is “The West?” Civilization in Europe emerged after Near Eastern Civilizations declined; Daniel’s era
How Did the “The West” Begin? Civilization in Europe emerged after Near Eastern Civilizations declined; Daniel’s era
What is “The West?” Classical civilizations arise in Greece and Rome Great Commission of early Christians takes root in Greece, Rome, Balkans, North Africa, southern Spain, Western Europe
What is “The West?” Civilization in Europe emerged, after Middle Eastern Civilizations declined. Celtic & Gothic (Anglo/Saxon) peoples embraced and developed it. Spreads to America, South Africa, & Australia.
1. Natural law 2. Social contract 3. Individual worth & sanctity of life 4. Rule of Law 5. Goodness 6. Rationality 7. Unification: “E Pluribus Unum.”
Natural law Genesis 1:28 “…Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.” Genesis 2:24 “Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.” Genesis 3:22 “And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil.” Genesis 3:19 “In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”
Exodus 24:12 “And the LORD said unto Moses…I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.” I Kings 12:6 And king Rehoboam consulted with the old men, that stood before Solomon 7 And they spake unto him, saying, If thou wilt be a servant unto this people this day, and wilt serve them, and answer them, and speak good words to them, then they will be thy servants for ever. 8 But he forsook the counsel of the old men, which they had given him, and consulted with the young men that were grown up with him, and which stood before him: 11 And now whereas my father did lade you with a heavy yoke, I will add to your yoke: my father hath chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions. 15 Wherefore the king hearkened not unto the people; 16 So when all Israel saw that the king hearkened not unto them, the people answered the king, saying, What portion have we in David? neither have we inheritance in the son of Jesse: to your tents, O Israel: now see to thine own house, David. So Israel departed unto their tents. Social Contract
Individual responsibility & worth Matthew 25:15 “To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one--to each according to his individual capacity…” Romans 5:17 “For if, through the transgression of the one individual, Death made use of the one individual to seize the sovereignty, all the more shall those who receive God's overflowing grace and gift of righteousness reign as kings in Life through the one individual, Jesus Christ. Psalms 139:13 “…thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Rule of Law & Justice Romans 13:1 “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.” Matthew 5:25 “Come to an agreement quickly with him who has a cause against you at law…” Matthew 23:23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint, dill, and cumin, and have left undone the weightier matters of the law : justice, mercy, and faith…”
The Search to “find the Good; be good” (ethics) Psalms 37:3 Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Isaiah 1:17 Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows. Luke 6:33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that.
Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Isaiah 1:18 Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. 1 Peter 3:16 Yet argue modestly and cautiously, keeping your consciences free from guilt, so that, when you are spoken against, those who slander your good Christian lives may be put to shame
Unification: “E Pluribus Unum” John 11:51 …he was led to prophesy that Jesus would die for the entire nation. 52 And not only for that nation, but to bring together and unite all the children of God scattered around the world. Ephesians 4:16 …from whom all the body, being fitted and knit together… according to the working in measure of each individual part, makes the body increase to the building up of itself in love. Philippians 1 If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
1. It is just the ideas of irrelevant “Dead White Men!” 2. “It fosters oppression!” 3. “It is hypocritical!” 4. “It is destructive!”
II Corinthians 4:4 “…the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. ” Mark 4:19: “…but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful.
Job 34:30 “That the ungodly man reign not, that the people be not ensnared.” Romans 8:6 “For the mind of the flesh is death, but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace.” 2 Corinthians 12:21 “…I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.
Romans 1:23 “And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Titus 2: 3 “Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
Romans 1: 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. Ephesians 4:14 “that we may no longer be children, tossed back and forth and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in craftiness, after the wiles of error.
Romans 1: 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness ; 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead (natural law); so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations (atheists) and their foolish heart was darkened.
Romans 1: 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools (materialists), 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man (humanists), and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things (environmentalists). 24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts (hedonists), to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, (secularists) who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Romans 1: 26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, (homosexuals) and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Romans 1: 28 Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
1. God is omnipotent 2. God’s law pervades all 3. Individuals: important & responsible 4. Righteousness as the model 5. Sharing, caring & loving as key concepts (family & community) 1. Unselfishness; humility 2. Duty, honor, dedication 3. Social contract – rule of law (Constitution)
1. God is dead 2. There is no natural law; only survival 3. Collectivism trumps individualism 4. Whatever serves the “public” is best 5. The state defines what is good (see above) 6. Arrogance & pride; empowerment through victimization (preferential treatment) 7. License, pragmatism, and instant gratification 8. Social contract – current state policy
Ephesians 4:14 “that we may no longer be children, tossed back and forth and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in craftiness, after the wiles of error.
Are you kidding me?! Is this your best shot!?!
1. Do you really want to risk losing eternal life to a gamble; a roll of the dice? John 4:36 And he who reaps, receives wages and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. Matthew 25:46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Romans 1:20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. 2. “Intelligent Design” is at least as plausible as “It’s All An Accident;” probably more so.
3. Is the assumption that Believers are unhappy, valid? Psalm 128:2 When you eat the labor of your hands, You shall be happy, and it shall be well with you. Proverbs 16:20 He who heeds the word wisely will find good, And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he. Psalm 146:5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God Proverbs 29:18 Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; But happy is he who keeps the law
4. If you were convinced that God did not exist, would that cause you to stop worrying? 25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
Matthew 6: 28: “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Blaise Pascal, French, 1650. Christian scientist mathematician, inventor, philosopher, and reformer.
1. Western Civilization is the result of the Christian belief system. Supreme Court ruling against polygamy in 1890: “It is contrary to the spirit of Christianity and the civilization which Christianity has produced in the Western world.” Supreme Court ruling against polygamy in 1890: “It is contrary to the spirit of Christianity and the civilization which Christianity has produced in the Western world.” 2. Satan tirelessly works to destroy it: II Thessalonians 2:9 The coming of the lawless one will be accompanied by the power of Satan. He will use every kind of power, including miraculous signs, lying wonders, 10 and every type of evil to deceive those who are dying, those who refused to love the truth that would save them. 11 For this reason, God will send them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie. 12Then all who have not believed the truth but have taken pleasure in unrighteousness will be condemned.