John MacArthur: …16 out of the 38 parables Jesus gave that are recorded in the New Testament deal with money, 16 out of 38. In fact, more is said in the New Testament about money than heaven and hell combined. Five times more is said about money than prayer.
There are about 500 verses or so on prayer and faith. There are 2,000 on dealing with money and possessions. The Christianity that doesn't affect how you feel about money and how you handle money is not a biblical Christianity.
1. Godliness Plus Contentment Equals Great Gain 1. Godliness Plus Contentment Equals Great Gain 1 Timothy 6:6
1 Timothy 6:6: Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
2. We Cannot Take Money out of This World But We Can Store up Treasures in Heaven I Timothy 6:7 Matthew 6:20
1 Timothy 6:7: For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
Matthew 6:20: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
3. Christians Should be Content With Having our Basic Needs Met. I Timothy 6:8
I Timothy 6:8: And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. I Timothy 6:8: And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.
4. Those Who Desire to be Rich Fall into Temptation & Compromise 4. Those Who Desire to be Rich Fall into Temptation & Compromise 1 Timothy 6:9
1 Timothy 6:9: But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition.
5. The Love of Money is the Root of all Evil 5. The Love of Money is the Root of all Evil 1 Timothy 6:10
1 Timothy 6:10: For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
6. Those that Love Money Will Not Find Satisfaction Ecclesiastes 5:10-11
Ecclesiastes 5:10-11: He who loves silver will not be satisfied with silver; Nor he who loves abundance, with increase. This also is vanity.
7.False Teachers Reject Truth in Favor of Monetary Gain I Timothy 6:10
I Timothy 6:10: For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
8. A wise Man Does Not Trust in Riches: 8. A wise Man Does Not Trust in Riches: 1 Timothy 6:17
1 Timothy 6:17: Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.
9. A Wise Man Understands that Real Money is Gold and Silver and God owns it all. Haggai 2:8
Haggai 2:8: The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the of hosts. Haggai 2:8: The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the L ORD of hosts.
10. It is God’s Grace that Allows us to Obtain Wealth. Deuteronomy 8:17, 28 I Corinthians 4:7
Deuteronomy 8:17-18: then you say in your heart, ‘My power and the might of my hand have gained me this wealth.’ And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.
I Corinthians 4:7: For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?
11.You cannot serve God and serve money Matthew 6:24
Matthew 6:24: “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. Matthew 6:24: “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
12. Don’t be Anxious About Material Things 12. Don’t be Anxious About Material Things Matthew 6:25-31
Matthew 6:25-31: “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’
13.A man is responsible to provide for his family both spiritually and materially. 1 Timothy 5:8
1 Timothy 5:8: But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
14. A righteous man saves or conserves wealth to provide for one’s family, be a blessing to others and to further the gospel. 14. A righteous man saves or conserves wealth to provide for one’s family, be a blessing to others and to further the gospel. Proverbs 21:20 Proverbs 6:6-11
Proverbs 21:20: There is desirable treasure, And oil in the dwelling of the wise, But a foolish man squanders it.
Proverbs 6:6-11: Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler,
Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep—So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler, And your need like an armed man.
15. A Wise Man is Aware of His Financial Resources and Plans Accordingly. 15. A Wise Man is Aware of His Financial Resources and Plans Accordingly. Proverbs 27:12 Proverbs 27:23-24 Proverbs 24:3-4
Proverbs 27:12: A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself; The simple pass on and are punished.
Proverbs 27:23-24: Be diligent to know the state of your flocks, And attend to your herds; For riches are not forever, Nor does a crown endure to all generations.
Proverbs 24:3-4: Through wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; By knowledge the rooms are filled With all precious and pleasant riches.
16.A Wise Man Works, Saves, Plans and Will Have Food but the Man that Wastes Time in Foolish Pursuits Will Fall Into Poverty. Proverbs 28:19
Proverbs 28:19: He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, But he who follows frivolity will have poverty enough!
17. Don’t Wear Yourself out to Become Rich 17. Don’t Wear Yourself out to Become Rich Proverbs 23:4-5
Proverbs 23:4-5: Do not overwork to be rich; Because of your own understanding, cease! Will you set your eyes on that which is not?
For riches certainly make themselves wings; They fly away like an eagle toward heaven.
18. The New Testament Church is to Use Resources to Care for Widows and Orphans 18. The New Testament Church is to Use Resources to Care for Widows and Orphans James 1:27
James 1:27: Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
19. Christian Adults are to Care for Their Own Parents and Grandparents if they are in Need 19. Christian Adults are to Care for Their Own Parents and Grandparents if they are in Need I Timothy 5:4
I Timothy 5:4 But if any widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show piety at home and to repay their parents; for this is good and acceptable before God.
20.The New Testament Church is to Care for its Own I Timothy 6:18
I Timothy 6:18: Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share,