Presentation on theme: "Doc Rabbit, Bruh Fox, and Tar Baby Virgina Hamilton Review The Toad and the Donkey Toni Cade Bambara."— Presentation transcript:
Doc Rabbit, Bruh Fox, and Tar Baby Virgina Hamilton Review The Toad and the Donkey Toni Cade Bambara
1.What are Doc Rabbit and Bruh Fox doing at the beginning of the story? They are building a house.
2. Who expects to win the race in “The Toad and the Donkey”? Why? The Donkey expects to win. Donkey says he’s “the fastest dude around here.”
3. Who tricks whom in each story? Doc Rabbit tricks Bruh Fox. Toad tricks Donkey.
4. How does each trick work out? Doc Rabbit tricks Bruh Fox so Bruh Fox tricks Doc Rabbit. Doc Rabbit performs the last trick. Toad asks members of his family to wait along the road during his race with Donkey. They pretend to be Toad, so Donkey thinks Toad is always in front. He becomes discouraged and ultimately loses the race.
5. Would you expect Doc Rabbit and Bruh Fox to be able to work together successfully? Why or why not? No, because Bruh Fox is hardworking and Doc Rabbit is lazy. Also, foxes generally eat rabbits.
6. Why does the Donkey decide not to race again? What does this show about him? Donkey decides not to race because he is disappointed he can’t win against a small toad. He is easily discouraged.
7. Which character in the two stories do you find most clever? most foolish? Why? Doc Rabbit or Toad is the most clever. Donkey is the most foolish because he never realizes that he has been tricked.
8. What qualities of human nature do these characters show? Doc Rabbit: clever, a cheat, mean, lazy, quick Bruh Fox: easily frightened, clever, easily fooled, hard- working Toad: clever, sense of humor, dependent on family support, strong will to win, willing to dispense with rules in order to win Donkey: over confident, easily fooled, easily discouraged, losing makes him sad, vain, stupid, slow
9. Which character from these two stories has the greatest will to win? Explain. Toad because he went to great lengths to organize his win.
10. Why does Doc Rabbit trick Bruh Fox? He wants to drink all of the cold sweet cream.
11. Who makes a strange noise when he gets thirsty? Doc Rabbit
12. Why does Spider suggest Toad and Donkey have a race? He has nothing better to do.
13. How does Donkey feel when he realizes he was not going to beat Toad? He becomes sad.
14. What lesson is taught in “Doc Rabbit, Bruh Fox, and Tar Baby”? “He who laughs last, laughs best.”
15. What is explained in “The Toad and the Donkey”? It explains why donkeys are so reluctant to run.
16. What is comparing? To determine similarities (alike)
17. What is contrasting? To determine differences (different)