Presentation on theme: "The town was formed in 1984, it was known of being one of the oldest and most active local history society region."— Presentation transcript:
The town was formed in 1984, it was known of being one of the oldest and most active local history society region.
Our Powerpoint is based on our trip to High Street. We were looking at the history of the blue gates and the toll house. Also in this Powerpoint we also have looked at the history of Smethwick. We hope you enjoy this powerpoint.
In 1972 part of Smethwick High Street was demolished to make way for a duel carriage way. The high street also suffered because of the decline of the manufacturing industries during the 60s 70s. But on the other side where the toll house is now that part has shops, a library and the first made Gudwara in England. The Toll House was used for people who were made to pay taxes to get past the toll house. The Toll House kept the money and by know the person must have been very rich. This was the Smethwick Cross Tollhouse. It Was Built In 1820.
The Blue Gates Hotel first appears in a document of the 18th century, as a licensed public house. The Blues Gates, is situated on what was the Birmingham to Dudley turnpike road. The Blue Gates Hotel got its name from the colour of the tollgates that once crossed the road. There have been numerous public houses bearing the same name, on the same spot, but the building that was there before the existing one, was demolished during the 1920s when Stony Lane was widened. The existing Blue Gates Hotel was built larger in the 1930s. Now the hotel is also a pub which is called blue gates pub.
Smethwick adopted the Public Libraries Act in 1876, and space was made in the Town Hall. A new building was built in 1880, which kept the Free Library, Magistrate's Court and Offices. In 1907 the new Council House was opened and reorganisation of the council in 1928 resulted in the library moving back into what was now the old Town Hall. The library building, built in 1880 was demolished in 1931, along with its neighbour, the Blue Gates Hotel during the road widening scheme carried out in Stony Lane. The old Town Hall, has undergone considerable internal renovations, since it became the library. The lending department, which was originally the Public Hall, in the Town Hall has had its ceiling lowered and the library today houses Sandwell Borough's Community History and Archive Service.
The oldest building in Smethwick is The Old Church which stands on the corner of Church Road and The Uplands. This was consecrated in 1732 as a Chapel of Ease in the parish of St Peter, Harborne, Birmingham. The building was originally known as Parkes Chapel in honour of Mistress Dorothy Parkes who left the money for the church and also for a local school. The chapel was later known as The Old Chapel. James Brindley built the first canal, the Old Line, over the Smethwick Summit in 1769. Thomas Telford built a parallel, more direct route, in deeper cuttings and without locks, the New Line, in 1829. Former Prime Minister John Major's parents married at Holy Trinity Church in Smethwick while they were on tour with a music hall variety act.
As I Said We Will Be Doing A Few Questions. 1.Who Made The First Canal.? 2.What Is The Oldest Building In Smethwick? 3.What Was The Toll House Used For?
THE END! Thank you for watching. We hope you learned something about the history of Smethwick!