Presentation on theme: "DISCLAIMER The content, logos, graphics, and images in this presentation are the sole property of Utah Career and Technical Education (CTE) in conjunction."— Presentation transcript:
DISCLAIMER The content, logos, graphics, and images in this presentation are the sole property of Utah Career and Technical Education (CTE) in conjunction with the Utah Pathways initiative and the Nontraditional Careers Program.
This PowerPoint presentation was prepared by: The Utah State Office of Education, Career and Technical Education Department. Sherry Marchant, Specialist
INFORMATION For further information about the CTE Programs in Utah, please go to:
1. Any occupation in which women or men comprise 25% or less of it’s total employment is: A. A poor choice for a career. B. Pays employees poorly. C. Is a Nontraditional Career. D. Cannot be found in Utah. E. Is an unskilled job.
The definition of a Nontraditional Career is: Any occupation in which women or men comprise 25% or less of it’s total employment.
2. Which of the following might encourage YOU to consider a nontraditional career? A. Higher wages. B. More opportunity for advancement. C. Job opportunities. D. Better benefits. E. Increased job satisfaction.
Most nontraditional careers are high wage, high skill, and high demand jobs. Is there a job for YOU?
3. Which postsecondary educational opportunities are YOU considering? A. A 1-year certification B. A 2-year associate degree C. A 4-year bachelor’s degree D. A professional degree
There are many career opportunities for certificates, one- two- four-year or more degrees. Which one is best for YOU?!?
4. A CTE Pathway is: A. A hall in the high school. B. A road that CTE cars drive on. C. A sequence of courses YOU may take in high school.
A CTE Pathway is a sequence of courses within YOUR area of interest.
These courses within a CTE Pathway will prepare you to be college and career ready.
5. A “benefit” offered in a job could be? A. Medical Insurance B. Paid Vacation C. A Flexible Work Schedule D.Getting a pay check without working E.Opportunity for advancement
A-C and E
What are some other “benefits” employees may receive in their jobs?
6. The average annual earnings for Utah workers in 2010* was: A. $33,222 B. $38,663 C. $39,505 D.$42,654 *Utah DWS
The average annual earnings for Utah workers in 2010* was: $38,663 The average annual earnings for the nation in 2010* was: $39,491 *Utah DWS
7. The average annual earnings for Utah workers in 2011 is projected* to be: A. $49,336 B. $55,965 C. $60,254 D. $29,456 *Utah DWS – stats are always two years out
The average annual earnings for Utah workers in 2011* is projected to be: $49,336 The average annual earnings for the nation in 2011* is projected to be: $50,944 *Utah DWS
8. Examples of nontraditional careers in Agriculture for females are: A.Construction and Mining Supervisor /Manager B.Forest and Conservation Technician C. Landscaping and Groundskeeping D. Cook
Rachel Carson, a biologist and environmental activist, is credited with advancing the global environmental movement through her writings.
Her book, Silent Spring, spurred an overhaul of the national policy on the use of pesticides and the ban on DDT. Her writings also led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency.
9. Give some examples of careers in Animal Science? A. B. C. D. E.